Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 19, 2016   #16
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I'm not one of the Baker Creek bashers on here, but, like most small seed companies, I'm not always sure their website information is entirely accurate. I have more confidence in a company that has to adhere to very strict EU regulations about information on agricultural products.

Also, it's possible that what Baker Creek is selling isn't actually the same variety as what Franchi is selling. That's just one of those possibilities in the world of heirloom seeds.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2016   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

I bought seed from Baker Creek, and was very impressed, especially as it was neglected so badly this year. It is a bush type but it is a HUGE bush, taller than my hip area at the highest point and I am 5'6". It took about a good 6 ft across circle, was in good amended soil at the community garden. Produced well without fertilizer and erratic watering in some really high temps, too. Was good as a summer squash even when pretty big, up to 10 inches long, though the rind was a bit firm but very edible at that point. The plants made me get itchy after digging in there, but then I tend to wear shorts and tanks so it's my fault.

I have always loved the old fashioned really warty yellow crooknecks and this is now a favorite too. Wonderful flavor, no bitterness or chalky taste at any size that I used it at. I let a couple mature for seed for next year.

No diseases or bug problems were observed on it, though I got whitefly/squash wilt with the deformed leaves on another squash close by.

I would half ways joke that if I went missing, check the squash patch, the plants were that large and huge leaves.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2016   #18
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, imp. That's very helpful.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote