Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 12, 2017   #31
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Are edible gourds bothered by pests like zucchine, the squash vine borer? That would be a good reason to grow them if they aren't.

Z
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have never seen a vine borer on one of any kind.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #33
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Are edible gourds bothered by pests like zucchine, the squash vine borer? That would be a good reason to grow them if they aren't.

Z
Here, the vine borer leaves my white flowered gourds alone. But, when the vines just emerge (seed leaf) and until they start to run-you have to look under the leaves and make sure the vines aren't being fed on by Cucumber Beetles or Squash bugs. When the vines take off-you still have to watch out for Cucumber Beetles an/or Stink bugs. The gourds fair much better than any summer squash does though.
The same thing with winter squash-but it is the Squash Bug that's the evil pest there. Those d*** things make me resort to worst...7 Dust
Best garden season to you!
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #34
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post

Z
Edible gourds are highly resistant to squash vine borer. But as already stated, the young plants are susceptible to cucumber beetles. Early swarms of beetles wiped out my opo seedlings one year (and destroyed my winter squash last year). Once the plants become established, nothing seems to bother them. Bitter melon seems to have no pest problems whatsoever... apparently too bitter even for the bugs.

If looking for a borer resistant zucchini alternative, tromboncino (a.k.a. zucchetta rampicante) is a good choice. It is the same species as butternut squash, and has a high degree of resistance to borers. I've seen them attack it (as evidenced by the sawdust-like "frass" they push from their holes), but the vines seem to be able to defend themselves. After awhile, the holes disappear, and the vines remain healthy. I've only lost a few plants when they were still small, usually because squash bugs attacked them while they were weakened.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote