Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 16, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 parts to 5 parts

Ok,my brain is not working,I want to make a organic spray to battle flea beetles,it calls for 2 parts rubbing alcohol to 5 parts water and a tablespoon of dishwashing soap.Cant figure out how much to use in a 12 oz. spray bottle.Any help for me and my brain freeze?
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

2 oz rubbing alcohol, 10 ounces water and hopefully you have room for the dish soap? I don't claim to be a math wiz, I am far from it, lol. I think that is how it would work.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I'm using a 24oz. bottle but only making 12oz.I said what you said but my wife thought 2 oz. alcohol to 5 oz. water.lol.
Old June 16, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Your wife is right. Back to school with you, Rockporter!

7 (2+5) doesn't divide into 12 evenly, so you can't use even oz. But since you're in a 24 oz. bottle, use 4 oz. alcohol and 10 oz. water. (4:10 == 2:5)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks,she's guessed that but was not sure.Thank you!And thank you Rockporter.
I'll make that up today.
Old June 16, 2017   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

6oz alcohol 15oz water 3 tablespoons dawn (1 1/2 oz) ought to do it perfect.

That will fill your 24 oz bottle up to 22 1/2 oz......pretty close to full. Close enough that if you went a bit over on the water it wouldn't hurt anything at all.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
6oz alcohol 15oz water 3 tablespoons dawn (1 1/2 oz) ought to do it perfect.

That will fill your 24 oz bottle up to 22 1/2 oz......pretty close to full. Close enough that if you went a bit over on the water it wouldn't hurt anything at all.
I used 4oz. alcohol,10 oz. water and a tablespoon of Palmolive dish soap as that's what we had.I used warm water and sprayed all my plants well.Just finished as it's getting dark.Do they come out at night?Leaves look like swiss cheese.
Old June 16, 2017   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
I used 4oz. alcohol,10 oz. water and a tablespoon of Palmolive dish soap as that's what we had.I used warm water and sprayed all my plants well.Just finished as it's getting dark.Do they come out at night?Leaves look like swiss cheese.
Personally I don't use that except to kill plants. I have no idea how it works on flea beetles. My post was just to help you with the math.

For flea beetles I use lima beans or just plant later.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Your wife is right. Back to school with you, Rockporter!

7 (2+5) doesn't divide into 12 evenly, so you can't use even oz. But since you're in a 24 oz. bottle, use 4 oz. alcohol and 10 oz. water. (4:10 == 2:5)
LOL, told you I'm not a math wiz, lol. At least I can admit that!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

2 shots of alcohol to 5 shots of water is 10.5 fl. oz. + 1 TBSP soap = 11 fl. oz.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #11
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Bartender much?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
That seems deadly for some plants. (as Redbarron pointed out)
Maybe some sturdy greens could handle that and some large established tomatoes...
but most young tender leafed plants i think would suffer like basils.

First time taking a formula/recipe from the internet do a test on the most affected plant but
not everything.

Alcohol evaporates quickly so probably just direct contact is the killer...then only the
soap/h2o is left behind.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #13
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Been two days and plants seem fine after treatment.Have new leaf growth.Does not look to be anymore damage.Rain expected today and through Tuesday.Peppers are growing larger each day with a lot of blooms.So in the future leave out the alcohol?I have not used anything on my plants in years,I have been very lucky in the past with very few problems with bugs.Last year we had stink beetles but did not see any damage to my plants.This year with all the rain last month,I lost some plants to cutworms which is a first for me.I have wrapped newspaper around my plants in the past and even used nothing at all some years and had no problem.This year with the wet spring, cutworms and leaf hole damage to all my pepper plants.The 85 to 90 degree days and nights in the 70's this past week have really helpd my garden.I made a alfalfa tea mix three weeks ago and watered my pants with that,that may have helped get things moving with the warmer weather.Every year brings new challenges

Last edited by cjp1953; June 18, 2017 at 08:05 AM.