Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2017   #31
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Down here where the season can be very long due to the late arrival of frosty nights usually well into November I try to set out some fall tomatoes in July but sometimes late July or very early August. I just set out my seeds for my fall tomatoes a week ago and they are already mostly up. I also lose a few weeks because of the time that grafting takes up and the healing process before they can even start hardening off. Whatever you do make sure the plants are well hardened off before they go into the hot summer garden and set them out in the evening or during a rainy spell. Make sure the ground is well mulched before setting the plants out to cool it off and also well watered a day or so before planting out.

Bill
Bill, when do you start harvesting these and when do you harvest the last?
Thanks, PH.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #32
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Bill, when do you start harvesting these and when do you harvest the last?
Thanks, PH.

Last year the plants that I set out on July 1 started producing in about five to six weeks for the earliest varieties like ISPL and Pruden's Purple. Some of the other varieties started producing later and some much later.

The plants that I set out July 30th started producing a little over a month later and both beds produced right up til it froze but I can't remember when that was. I do know we had fresh tomatoes at Christmas from the ones that I had picked before it froze. I have picked tomatoes ripe off the vine as late as the day after Christmas and had them frozen as early as late October since I started growing fall plants. The latest I ever set out a plant and got ripe fruit off it was Sept. 1st and I only got a couple before it got killed by the cold. Last year I think plants set out that late would have done good but usually that is not the case so I try to stop setting out plants by the first week or so of August.

I can't stress enough how much of a factor the variety can be when setting plants out that you want to be productive in the heat and usually very dry weather of August and September. So far for me Indian Stripe PL beats all others hands down in that blistering heat at producing both good tasting and decent numbers of fruits. Later in the early fall other varieties like Arkansas Traveler and Spudakee are champs. The only big caveat to that is if it is very rainy late in the summer and early fall. In that case the black varieties do poorly and are also very disease prone in that wet weather. That is why I try to set out pinks, reds, and black tomatoes for late summer and fall production. It is still important to pick mostly reds and pinks that have shown an ability to set fruit in the heat for fall production. Most of the black varieties that I grow do at least okay in the heat as far as setting fruit. Most varieties will set fruit in the cooler nights of fall but many are too slow to grow and ripen to be really good candidates for fall planting. I try to stick with varieties that make in less than 65 days in the early part of the season because it will take them far longer in the fall to ripen. Of course down here some that are considered late varieties will ripen in less than two months sometimes so it is important to have an idea how fast they produce for you in your climate to judge which ones to try for fall.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #33
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks bill.
So My timing seems to be OK. I just potted up those started from seed. And few from cutting are doing fine. I see roots emerging from the drain holes.
Now my problem is where to plant then in the garden, when the time come. I guess by then I will have some retiree by then. I have already pulled a few and some more look zappy. hehe
I am just going to try about 15 plants.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #34
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thanks bill.
So My timing seems to be OK. I just potted up those started from seed. And few from cutting are doing fine. I see roots emerging from the drain holes.
Now my problem is where to plant then in the garden, when the time come. I guess by then I will have some retiree by then. I have already pulled a few and some more look zappy. hehe
I am just going to try about 15 plants.
Good luck. It is great to have tomatoes after everyone else has given up on growing them. Of course don't expect spring like crops of fruit. During the hottest weather it is sometimes really disappointing looking at the poor fruit set after having such heavy fruit set earlier in the year. Once the cooler nights arrive fruit set will pick up but ripening will slow down to a crawl so make sure you mulch them heavily to keep the ground cool under them and feed them TTF every week or so. If you see the first sign of spider mites treat them immediately and repeatedly until they are stopped.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #35
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill.
I know how they fruit in cool weather. I have gardened for 4 years in PNW where it would rarely get over 85F in the peak of summer. That is heat zone ONE. I am in Heat zone 7 down here.

Happy Gardening !
Old June 21, 2017   #36
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

How is your fall tomato garden is coming along ?
Right now my spring/summer garden is at its peak.But fall garden is on my mind.
My plants from cutting are more than ready to find a place in the garden. They are about 10" tall and some are budding. But the ones from seed can wait for weeks. I though I was late starting them but now I think perhaps not. If I plant out some in July, I should have ripe tomatoes off of them starting mid September.

Now, I have to find room for them. Gotta work on my ZAP list. I have already done a few but I need to zap more. Here are some of my ZAP candidates :

Golden Jubilee
Old German
Green Copia (nothing to write home about )
SunGold ( I have Esterina that I like better ).
Indigo Cherry Drops ( is a disease magnet )

I might plant few in container too like Siletz and Dwarf Purple Heart.
But still need more room.
I don't want to expand my garden. Next year I will cut back drastically. I am getting old. Need some time to relax.
AH, yeah .. I will also have my fall cole crops. I still have the last lettuce, broccoli, and onions.

Happy Gardening !
Old June 22, 2017   #37
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Bill what part of Bama are you located? I was from near Bham. Roll Tide!! I just started gardening myself and am planting a fall crop in Houston. However it just hit me recently that I could probably plant some cold hardy varieties from November-March and have a winter crop.

Has anyone in the Gulf coast warm areas grown winter crops?
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote