Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2017   #91
Gin3ll
Tomatovillian™

Heaven on Earth is your garden.
Congratulations on everything you do!
Gin3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #92
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gin3ll, I saw your tomatoes and they're looking really nice!

While we're posting I thought I'd get a shot of Brandywine (Sudduth's)

They've been happy so far this season. Hope they don't fizzle too soon because I feel like they've really been on a streak.

The first blushing tomato after GGWT was BWS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 (Medium).jpg (46.2 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 3 (Medium).jpg (85.2 KB, 185 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #93
Randall
Tomatovillian™

A first time grow for me is Rebel Yell

It seems like it's going to be productive and Lucid Gem is blowing me away, also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 (Medium).jpg (64.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (Medium).jpg (66.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 2 (Medium).jpg (120.6 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by Randall; June 23, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old June 24, 2017   #94
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

my oh my! it is an impressive garden. thanks for the info on the pepper. I have one in a 3 gallon pot that is about 3" tall so far... I got a really late start on them but it is there non the less, I will plan on putting it in the front basement window.
Old June 24, 2017   #95
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Oh my Randall, I am just now tuning in. What an amazing gorgeous garden you have. Right now my tomatoes are burnt to a crisp. Summer here is impossible to grow veggies. Your rows are all so neat, I can see the hard work you are putting in and how much it is paying off. I am jealous, I had a wonderful season this past one, but I never had as much fruit set as you get. Really nice work, I will stay tuned.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #96
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
IS is our best overall tomato. year after year it produces well, taste great, and rarely has issues. I'm amazed how good your plants look & how loaded they are. Do you fertilize? What is your system?
I got my ISPL seeds from you, BVV. The plant is doing great, has more fruit than all of my 22 other varieties (except Mat-Su Express which it ties with in fruit set). It set fruit in my greenhouse during an unexpected heat wave, and one of the fruits is ripening at 55 days, which makes it this year's earliest. (Mat-Su hasn't shown signs of ripening yet.)

Many thanks for the trade, BVV!

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #97
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Randall, I just wish I had your green thumb. None of my plants compare with yours.

Steve
Old June 25, 2017   #98
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Aww, thanks!

I wish those morels were real, hahahah.

Unfortunately, they're the inedible, ornamental variety. I inherited them from my Grandmother. She always had them in her flower bed along with some of those old glass insulators from along the railroad tracks. I made sure I got them so I could keep them in my garden for her.
I agree with Bower in post 25. I'm no expert, but the morels look like the edible kind. http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com....FdZRP55D.dpbs

Steve
Old June 25, 2017   #99
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I got my ISPL seeds from you, BVV. The plant is doing great, has more fruit than all of my 22 other varieties (except Mat-Su Express which it ties with in fruit set). It set fruit in my greenhouse during an unexpected heat wave, and one of the fruits is ripening at 55 days, which makes it this year's earliest. (Mat-Su hasn't shown signs of ripening yet.)

Many thanks for the trade, BVV!

Steve
I love hearing of your success! It really is a great heirloom. I got a really early one myself this year. The flavor usually improves the hotter it gets but even my early one tasted great.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #100
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Repeating myself I know, but those are huge 1st and 2nd truss sets. Do you cold treat on seedlings Randal. And one more question on the Indian Stripe potato leaf please. How does the plant structure compare to Rebel Yell. Is is bigger and thicker stemmed? And also in relation to Brandy Boy?

For me last year, the Brandy Boy dwarfed Rebel Yell in plant size, but was only nominally better in fruit set and production. Excellent taste on both of them.

P.S. Inspired to grow single stem up a pole, I now have three after some configuring changes yesterday. An Eva Purple Ball and two Rebel Yell's on 8ft stakes.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #101
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Randall:

Your garden is amazing! It sure looks like you've hit the sweet spot with production & beauty. Please keep posting pictures.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #102
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Wow that fruit set is amazing!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #103
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Oh, geesh. Thanks a lot everyone. I sure do appreciate it.

@sjamesNorway - I wish I could saute a couple of them. I only found 3 little ones this year!

@Ricky - They haven't technically been through cold treatment. I have done that in the past and I really do feel like it increases production on the first two trusses at least but this year I didn't do it intentionally.

These plants definitely had their share of cool (upper 40's - mid 50'sF) as seedlings. I don't have a greenhouse, so they get started under lights and get acclimated to outside light asap. From there, they stay outside unless it's going to be terribly cold or stormy.

The IS plants are similar in size to Rebel Yell right now - not a large as BB, as you said. I'm not sure if ISPL is similar in growth habit to the regular leaf plant. I haven't grown ISPL out but maybe I'll give it a shot now that I've seen how nice IS production is!
Old June 29, 2017   #104
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Still waiting on my first ripe Lucid Gem. It won't be long, though. This round of Shiitake is coming along nicely. Oh, and I picked 4 solid pints of Wineberries (with a random Blackberry here and there).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toms4 (Medium).jpg (78.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (Small).jpg (72.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 5 (Small).jpg (41.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (Medium).jpg (82.6 KB, 74 views)
Old June 29, 2017   #105
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Boy and mushrooms too... Everything looks amazing.