Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 1, 2014   #1
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Default Trailing/Vining Zucchini?

Looking for source for seeds for a trailing zucchini...a neigbour had some from seeds saved from his father a few years ago...straight vine, single vine if I recall correctly, with zuchinni that were virtually identical to zucchini from regular zucchini plants. I remember one plant went from the ground up a stake across a plum tree and along the top of a fence, was probably 20 feet long with zucchini every foot or so. They weren't those long versions, curved versions, or crookneck.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious to the answers you get. I don't know of an vining zucchini. Perhaps the closest would be in the trailing marrow family--something like Table Dainty?

I've grown that (not my photo). I've also grown Tromboncino--which is actually C. Moschata eaten a few days after flowering (will mature into a butternut type squash if allowed to mature). I also have grown Tatume, which is C. Pepo and a vigorous viner--but more rounded squash that will mature into pumpkin looking things but we use them as immature summer squash. I've also grown Lemon squash--but that doesn't trail as much as it grows a central stalk that can be tied up.

I grow my summer squash on cattle panel trellis--so I'm always looking for vining summer squash/zukes but I haven't found much. In fact I'm crossing Lemon and Tatume this summer as the beginning of a breeding project looking to get some qualities of Lemon onto a Tatume growth habit.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #3
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

I hope I can get in touch with the person who grew it before, but I know the second year he got seeds from his dad they didn't grow the same plant, and that was 3 or 4 years ago. Plant didn't look like the one above, was one straight line vine with no offshoots, and zucchini that looked just like regular zucchini. I haven't been able to find anything like them so far in my internet search.
Old March 2, 2014   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

http://www.liseed.org/trailzuc.html

Long green trailing zucchini is the only variety I have seen and seed availability from what I have found is in England and France.

http://www.jandlseeds.com/Long+green...gette+10+seeds

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Courgette-Zu.../dp/B006DXM98O

Ami
Old March 2, 2014   #5
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Last season, I ordered from J and L, but tried to grow them hydroponically ala http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/PDF/HG-44.PDF, The first seeds rotted, and I didn't get any zucchini from the second batch. I was very disappointed not to be able to try them.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I also found a hybrid variety here in Germany named Black Forest F1.

Ami
Old March 2, 2014   #7
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the digging all! One thing that I've seen on every version found on the internet is either trailing vines that branch out more than the one my neigbour had, and those thick hollow stalks on leaves that are typically seen on zuchinni plants, whereas my neighbour's plant had leaves with thin stalks that were more like cucumber plant, not at all like the ones pictured. The search continues...I'll be sure to update if I find the plant, and save seeds if it actually grows like I remember, as the seeds neigbour gave me the year after he first grew it (additional seeds obtained from his father) just turned out to be regular zucchini plants.
Old March 2, 2014   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Anthony, I bought a packet of vining squash from Sample Seeds (remy) called "Light Green Korean." I have also been searching high and low for vining squash types... If you would like a couple I can send you some - pm me. And if you ever get seeds for a such a plant as you remembered your neighbor's to be, please share!
Photo from Remy's shop (click on link for an HUGE picture...)
http://www.sampleseeds.com/wp-conten...reenKorean.jpg

Last edited by luigiwu; March 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew a vining Korean summer squash from Kitazawa last year: Teot Bat Put. It's a hybrid roundish (aka avocado squash) C. moschata.
https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_summer_squash.html

Franchi Sementi has a zucchini called Zucchino Alberello di Sarzana ("little tree of Sarzana"). It's supposed to be a vine but I haven't grown it.
http://www.growitalian.com/zucchini-...lo-of-sarzana/

Another alternative is to plant a vining winter squash and eat it in the immature stage (as a summer squash). Delicata has the "right" shape, and butternuts are close.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #10
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Hi all, just got in touch with neighbour, he thinks that he may get some seeds that vine this year, and if so he will give some too me. He remembered that the plant was a straigh line vine that climbed along a post, up a tree, across a gap, along the top of the fence, and trailed down my side of the fence, and was at least 20 feet long...but he also thinks that the ones that he is going to get this year are the really long type of zucchini, and that is not what he had from his dad 4 or 5 years back, so might be out of luck. Luigiwu I'll immediately plant whatever I get from him and see what they do, and if any turn out I'll let one zuke go to seed and save them and send them off...and I always love an excuse to get down to NYC so maybe next time I drive to the city I'll have to drop off a care package on my way down from Toronto! That, or mail...

And if I can figure out the PM function I may have to beg for a few of those seeds!
Old March 2, 2014   #11
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Not a zucchini type squash but I grow a vining squash called Tatume and when used young can be used as a zucchini and when mature it is good as a pumpkin pie squash.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #12
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Trailing Green Marrow from Sand Hill.

from this page:
http://www.kerrcenter.com/publicatio...eport-2010.pdf
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #13
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

In the link above, note the Zucchino Rampicante (a.k.a.Tromboncino, Zucchetta Rampicante). Not a true zucchini, but a very elongated butternut relative that was bred for use as a summer squash. VERY vigorous vines, and a strong climber. It is also highly resistant to SVB, which is the reason I first started growing it. All the seeds are in the bulb at the end, so 90% of the very long squash is solid & seedless... making it great for freezing. I eat the bulb end fresh, and freeze the seedless portion.

You might also want to look into Costata Romanesca (or Romanesco). It is a trailing summer squash of outstanding quality. Haven't tried it personally, so don't know how well it climbs. Seeds are widely available, from High Mowing Seeds, Johnny's, and Fedco among others. (Fedco also carries Tromboncino.)
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Costata Romenesco makes a huge, vining plant.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #15
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's description of Costata Romenesco sounds like bush habit--that's why I haven't tried it before:
Quote:
This distinctive zucchini is medium gray-green, with pale green flecks and prominent ribs. Big, large-leafed bush with only about half the yield of hybrids, but much better flavor; clearly better textured, nutty, and delicious, raw or cooked. Also a good producer of heavy male blossom buds for cooking. Packet: 30 seeds.
So will this plant send runners and climb?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote