Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 18, 2016   #31
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I just planted 11 Gialla Nostrale seeds about 30 minutes ago.
I still have 40-50 seeds that would like to find new homes

You sent me some seed for this one, but can you tell me about it? Vining, size/color offruit, summer or winter.....???

And Thank you, too!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #32
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jeannine, maybe I'll wait and see how they do for you, maybe we can do a trade? I don't have a big garden and already I'm running around pot in hand looking for a bit of bare ground to plant it in.

Annette
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #33
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

You could be my gardening twin.. I went from acreage in Canada to a community garden that was 50 feet x 75 feet in the UK for several years , then back to Canada to a community garden that was 30 feet x 25 feet now I can no longer do that I am in my back garden with several raised beds, a decent glass greenhouse and a lot of pots.

Both the zucchini coming from the Uk are hybrids but I intend saving the seeds anyway to see what happens, if they taste OK and vine that will b good enough for me/

Have you seen my post topic about growing a mini garden , it is under the miscellaneous edibles and has some good varieties for small spaces.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #34
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, I'm in Nanaimo, been here most of my life with the exception of a few years in Victoria and up the coast. I have found you can cram a lot in a small garden if you garden vertically LOL.
Old April 19, 2016   #35
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Funny you should say that, this book just came in the mail yesterday..

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, maybe not oo much new info but I was hoping it gave me inspiration for going up more.
Attached Images
File Type: png vertical gardenin.png (106.1 KB, 131 views)
Old April 22, 2016   #36
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick note, I am sending seed from a couple of vining zuchinni, the seeds have not yet arrived from the UK.. I have not forgotten you.
Old April 22, 2016   #37
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, are the ones you are getting from the UK open pollinated or hybrids?

Annette
Old April 23, 2016   #38
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Sadly they are both hybrids, there are pictures earlier in the topic. I am going to save seed for next year and see what I get.
Old April 30, 2016   #39
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

The seeds I am waiting for from the UK still have not arrived it seems everything is delayed right now, but I haven't forgotten those I was swapping with I will let you know the minute I have them
Old April 30, 2016   #40
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, just recently I was waiting for some seed from the UK, after 2 months had passed both the sender and I thought it had got lost in the mail so he sent another, the first package arrived finally, it took 2 months plus a week, the second package a week later, only took maybe 7 or 8 days. I think sometimes when they empty a bag of mail some things must get stuck in the bottom and there they stay until the bag is given a really good shake. Envelopes I send to the states usually take around 10 days to two weeks, a couple of times it only took a week but once it did take a month.
I can remember when I was a kid, before all the automation, we had mail hand delivered to the house twice a day. In the war years parcels to the UK went by boat and if I remember correctly took about 6 weeks. Oh for the good old days.

Annette
Old April 30, 2016   #41
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have had that happen too, but it is because they say they are going to send it airmail then they send it standard which takes 6 to 8 weeks.

I had a parcel of very expensive circular knitting needles sent in February which didn't arrive, there was almost $200 dollars worth in the parcel. The sender re sent after 8 weeks. The first parcel arrived after 9 weeks so I informed them, I got a letter saying so glad you now have your needles. the second one came a short while later, last week actually. I emailed them and said the second one has arrived, how do you want me to proceed, they haven't answered. I have e mailed twice with no response.

Now what..it would cost me $25 to send it back which I am not prepared to pay for but with no response I think they have just written it off. We will see.

Jeannine
Old May 6, 2016   #42
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have received seeds for the yellow trailing zuchinni today but the green trailing is still in the mail somewhere
Old May 6, 2016   #43
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Anyone tried TableDainty? BakersCreek has it. Not sure if that is the one that took off far outside my garden while out of town...then ran over it with the bush hog. I don't label my squashes. Just have so many in rotation every year. And pick up a few new ones when ordering something else...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #44
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Table Dainty, funny you should mention that one, I just received a packet of seed in the mail a friend in the U.K. sent me. It was Mr. Fothergills seed. I think Home Depot sells Mr. Fothergills seed.

Annette
Old May 13, 2016   #45
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I now have the seeds from the yellow climber and the green climber from the UK, so the 2 folks waiting for them, they will be in the mail today.

XX Jeannine