Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 29, 2016   #1
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Default Trim a delicata squash vine?

Last year I tried to grow zucchini -- three times -- and lost them for reasons unknown at the first true leaf stage. This year, I started several squash varieties. I lost one plant to vine borers, but have managed to keep two zucchinis, a yellow crookneck, and a delicata squash alive. The zucchini and crookneck are compact, bush-type varieties that are already producing well. The delicata, however, has produced a vine that stretches 12' from end to end, and is threatening to overtake two tomato plants at one end, two eggplants at the other, and the crookneck next door. It's also growing well outside the bed, and has somehow attached itself to the lawn. Can I trim the plant back, or should I just leave it? I've found at least 3 squashes forming, but I'll bet there are others. Will it stop growing soon? Would a trellis (or two) help?

I know, I should be more careful what I wish for... But part of me wants to take an axe to the delicata and spare the imperiled plants!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Hudson, I am having the same thoughts about my cantaloupe and watermelon plants. I've found some sites that recommend trimming growth points early in the year to limit the number of vines, and some that say to cut late vine tips to hurry fruit development. I would like to do the latter at this point, but am also thinking about the effect of loss of old inner leaves to mildew etc. If I remove the young healthy leaves at the tips, will the middle aged leaves remaining be able to carry the photosynthetic burden before they go down as well? In my back garden, the squash vines regularly get clipped by my husbands mower if they venture too far, and it doesn't seem to hurt them, so I think at this point in the season you would be ok to trim off some of the excess vines.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2016   #3
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Dee! And funny timing -- I learned today that my husband accidentally trimmed the vine while mowing the lawn. I should know in a few days whether it's o.k., but it looked fine when I was in the yard tonight. This is my first year growing vining plants, but they seem really sturdy!
Old September 23, 2016   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I would double the vine back on the area it's already colonized.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #5
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I did eventually trim when I thought the plant was done for the season, but found that the vines put out new growing tips. There are now four or five more little tiny squashes growing, but I doubt they'll have time to mature before frost hits. Looks like it might be an early frost year... Sigh.