Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 14, 2017   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default GGWT growing tip curled?

The growing tip is curled around itself like a pig's tail on my Girl Girl's Weird Thing plant. The leaves aren't curled. Any idea what causes this? The plant looks otherwise healthy, and none of the other plants in my greenhouse have this problem. Should I pull the plant?

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
The growing tip is curled around itself like a pig's tail on my Girl Girl's Weird Thing plant. The leaves aren't curled. Any idea what causes this? The plant looks otherwise healthy, and none of the other plants in my greenhouse have this problem. Should I pull the plant?

Steve
Need photos to really help, but look for aphids, mites, whiteflies. Its the usual cause of a curled meristem. If so it wont need pulling,just treating. Really could use photos here.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #3
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default photos and correction

Thank you for your reply, Marsha.

First a correction: It's not the growing tip that's curled, but the top two branches. I tried inspecting with a magnifying glass, and there wasn't anything I could identify as insects.

The top photo of the stem that's curled the most, was taken from "overhead". The 2nd photo, of the other branch that's curling, was taken from the side.

SAM_1546.JPG

SAM_1540.JPG
Old May 14, 2017   #4
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Thank you for your reply, Marsha.

First a correction: It's not the growing tip that's curled, but the top two branches. I tried inspecting with a magnifying glass, and there wasn't anything I could identify as insects.

The top photo of the stem that's curled the most, was taken from "overhead". The 2nd photo, of the other branch that's curling, was taken from the side.
I have this problem as well,though we'll see if it is an actual problem.I had this last year also,but it didn't seem to affect plants in any adverse way.I wonder what's causing this? Anyone?

Btw those are leaves.The entire leaves are curling downward towards the stem.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongPlant View Post
I have this problem as well,though we'll see if it is an actual problem.I had this last year also,but it didn't seem to affect plants in any adverse way.I wonder what's causing this? Anyone?

Btw those are leaves.The entire leaves are curling downward towards the stem.
I just double-checked to be sure. The leaves on my plant aren't curling; they're just following the curling branch.

Steve
Old May 14, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Early in the season especially, growth above the soil and growth of the root system are out of sync so you can see curled leaves,upside down leaves and twisted leaves as well.

That's what I think the problem is and when growth is balanced they'll be just fine.

Sheesh Steve,what did you expect when growing a variety that has the word WEIRD as part of the variety name.

Carolyn
Old May 14, 2017   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

There's no info that I can find relating to tomatoes, but I wonder in these cases that resemble persistent herbicide damage with little connecting evidence are the result of saved seed from plants that may have been mildly affect, but grew through it and produced ripe fruit.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #8
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Early in the season especially, growth above the soil and growth of the root system are out of sync so you can see curled leaves,upside down leaves and twisted leaves as well.
Phew.Glad I don't have to add that on my "to worry about" list,thanks xD
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn. It's not the leaves, but branches, though your "out-of-sync" explanation may apply. You're right, I should have expected something weird!

Steve
Old May 27, 2017   #10
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Update

Just to say that those who said not to worry were right. The branches uncurled and the plant looks great.

Steve
Old May 27, 2017   #11
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the follow up, it helps everyone in future identification. So many things look alike and some things there will never be 100% certainty.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #12
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I also thank you for following up! Glad to hear that it's back to normal!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #13
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

you can see this more and more often on forums. Just a few days ago there was a similar thread.
It's overfertilization. I think people tend to put more and more seeing the good results other people are having on forums, and when gardening in greenhouses or pots (without changing the medium), there is an accumulation of fertilizer in time, most of what you put last autumn wasn't really used by the plants. In theory it's mostly due to nitrogen, but according to my observations it's not necessarily that, but it's hard for me to say without a soil analysis.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #14
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
you can see this more and more often on forums. Just a few days ago there was a similar thread.
It's overfertilization. I think people tend to put more and more seeing the good results other people are having on forums, and when gardening in greenhouses or pots (without changing the medium), there is an accumulation of fertilizer in time, most of what you put last autumn wasn't really used by the plants. In theory it's mostly due to nitrogen, but according to my observations it's not necessarily that, but it's hard for me to say without a soil analysis.
Overfertilization doesn't explain this case. There are 14 plants in containers in my greenhouse. All of them have been treated in the same way. A soil test showed normal N & K, and lower P. They all got two small handfuls of bone meal and a tablespoon of Epsom salts on planting. This is the only plant that curled.

Frequent watering will also flush out excess fertilizer in containers.

Steve