Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 12, 2012   #76
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ray....you might want to try this one too with the navy beans....

White Bean And Ham Hock Soup With Arugula And Corn Bread Croutons
Gourmet | November 2000

Yield: Makes 12 servings
Active Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 1/2 hr

For soup
1 lb dried small white beans such as navy or Great Northern
1 lb smoked ham hocks
1/4 cup bacon drippings (from 1/2lb bacon) or olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
4 fresh thyme sprigs
8 cups chicken broth

For corn bread croutons
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups 3/4-inch cubes corn bread
1 lb arugula, coarse stems removed
Tabasco to taste

Make soup:
Soak beans in cold water to cover overnight (8 hours). Drain and rinse well.
Simmer ham hocks in 6 cups water in a 3-quart saucepan, partially covered, skimming foam
as necessary, 1 hour. Reserve 4 cups cooking liquid and drain ham hocks.
Heat bacon drippings in an 8-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking,
then cook onion and garlic, stirring, until softened. Add tomatoes and thyme and cook, stirring,
1 minute. Add soaked beans, broth, ham hocks, and reserved cooking liquid and simmer, covered,
stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 hour.

Make croutons while soup simmers:
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Melt butter with garlic and toss together with corn bread cubes in a shallow baking pan. Toast in
middle of oven until lightly browned and crisp on the outside, about 15 minutes.

Prepare soup for serving:
Remove ham hocks and shred meat. Return meat to soup and stir in arugula. Simmer, uncovered,
stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
Serve soup topped with croutons.

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...#ixzz26bPtw1cY
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2012   #77
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Vegan Recipe for Creamy Potato-Leek Soup
posted by Annie B. Bond
Jul 1, 2004 11:10 pm

Adapted from The Great American Detox Diet, by Alex Jamieson (Rodale Press, 2005).
When the maker of the film Supersize Me ate nothing but food from a well-known fast-food chain three times a day for a month, the diet nearly killed him. His fiance, a vegan chef and the author of this great cookbook, brought him back from the brink with her healthy cooking.
Here is one of her delicious creamy soups made without dairy, but sure to satisfy. Leeks give lots of iron-rich mineral nourishment, while garlic and onions add their immune-boosting and heart-healthy benefits. Paired with a crisp salad, Creamy Potato-Leek Soup makes a perfect cozy fall supper.

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 leeks, white and light green parts washed and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
2 cups chopped yellow onion

1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 cloves garlic, minced

2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch cubes

4 cups vegetable stock

2-3 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat and add the oil.

2. Add the leeks, onion, and sea salt and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion begins to turn translucent.

3. Add the garlic and stir well. Cook for 1 minute more.

4. Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 20 minutes.

5. Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion/stick blender to blend the soup in the pot or ladle the soup into a blender, 1 cup at a time. Blend the soup with the fresh rosemary leaves until smooth and free of chunks. Pour smooth soup into a heat-proof bowl and continue until all of the soup has been blended.

6. Transfer the blended soup back to the original soup pot and warm over low heat until heated through. Serve hot.

Serves 4 – 6.
Old November 13, 2012   #78
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default Male chauvinist pig chili

Thanks for those recipes Zana. The last one reminded me of a recipe I made up years ago. Back in the day a lot of my friends were maybe a bit teasing of me and the fact I can sometimes go months without eating a bit of meat. I am not in any way dogmatic about it. Not at all Vegan. I like a rare steak as much as the next guy. But at Forth of July cook out with family and friends. Not every day! A BLT is one of the great sandwiches, but to me, so is just a tomato sandwich! I don't have to put bacon on it to be good. My every day food is vegetarian, because that is what I like. Nothing beats fresh veggies from the garden in my opinion. So why would I go spend 10 dollars for a nice juicy steak, when I can go pick some veggies from the garden and like them better anyway?

Anyway, that never stopped my friends from a bit of friendly teasing now and again. I ate like a sissy, so they would say. Real men eat meat and potatoes every day!

That's the background for my plotted revenge. We had planned an all night gaming party at my house for New Years. I decided instead of the typical chips and dip, to make chili. (and a killer home made New Years punch, but that is another story)

I made two types to keep them happy. One was the typical chili and beans you could get anywhere, and one would be my soon to be famous Male chauvinist pig chili. Muahahahaha
It is surprisingly fast and simple to make in spite of the long ingredient list.
Ingredients:
1 can Brooks Chili beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can dark red Kidney beans
1 can red beans
1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 large can V8 spicy
1 jar spaghetti sauce
2 large onions
1 large package mushrooms (button)
4 extra large porta bella mushrooms
1 celery stalk
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 cup diced jalepenos
1 quart diced hot hungarian wax peppers
The carrots from a jar of pickled hot peppers
Several Habenero peppers or similar extra hots
1 package store bought "5 alarm" chili mix
1 tablespoon cayenne flakes
1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter
Several cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Doritos, nacho cheese flavored
Shredded extra sharp cheddar

In the bottom of a very large pot saute the diced mushrooms in a little butter (pretty big chunks but just small enough you can't tell they were mushrooms) until they get browned on the outside.

Add the V8 juice and stir and scrape the bottom to let the juice disolve the "brown" off the bottom of the pot.

Mash slightly the garbanzo beans.

Add the beans, tomatoes, chili mix, tomato paste, spaghetti sauce and stir till the mixes are disolved.

In a blender completely liquidfy all the onions, peppers, celery, garlic, carrots and add to the pot.

Bring to boil a few minutes stirring constantly and then put on simmer so you dont scorch it.

add peanut butter to make the broth creamy

add crumbled Doritos to thicken it to desired consistancy

Once the Doritos have disolved completely and the chili is thick enough you can serve immediately. (note: this assumes you used canned beans. If you use dry beans you have to cook them down a day ahead.)

Serve in bowls with shredded cheese sprinkled on top. Plenty of crackers on the side.

Guaranteed to put hair on your chest!

So here is how the party went. The guests arrived and I had the very small desert bowls set out. I showed everyone both pots. One I named "insipid chili" as it wasn't very spicy and was normal chili you might get at Wendy's. The second was called Male chauvinist pig chili and everyone was warned it was deadly hot. I stressed that was why the tiny bowls. You couldn't eat too much as it was too hot. I didn't mention it was meatless at all.

Well of course everyone had to try at least a little of the extra hot stuff.

Needless to say there were cries of pain, tears and sweat all over! Remember, some of these friends didn't even like hot spicy food at all! To them a couple drops of tabasco in a bowl of Wendy's chili was too much! So I just said no problem just get a bowl of the insipid chili if you can't handle the heat.

To make a long story short. We all drank a whole lot of my secret recipe New Years punch and when I woke up the next day there was not a single drop of that huge pot of Male Chauvinist pig chili left. Meanwhile after tasting the hot stuff, the insipid chili was so bland it had hardly been touched. They all raved about that chili for years. In fact turn out my best friends brother who hated hot food and even thought onions were too hot, had actually eaten like 10 or 12 bowls over the length of the party! I had to find out about that later because I was so drunk I passed out!

Later once they found out my awesome chili was meatless, I never again had to listen to teasing about being a sissy for not eating much meat.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; November 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #79
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Butternut Squash Soup with Apple and Sage

Butternut is a perfect squash for soup. It lends itself well to both sweet and savory dishes, and that's just what you’ll taste in this recipe, enhanced by the sage and apples.
Rori Trovato

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 small or 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into large chunks
1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large apples, peeled and seeded, cut into large pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Yield: 4 to 6 Servings

directions
Prep: 20 min Total: More than 60 min
In a large pot over medium heat, add the oil. Cook the squash, onions, carrots and celery for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onions are softened and beginning to turn golden. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cook slowly until all the vegetables are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Using an emulsion blender or regular blender, puree the soup in batches until smooth and serve.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/butternut-sq...#ixzz2AyeXFj00
Old November 18, 2012   #80
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Butternut Squash Soup with Ravioli

A handful of scrumptious ingredients--vegetable broth, butternut squash, ravioli, and molasses-- give this soup so much flavor.

Makes: 5 servings
Start to Finish 30 mins

ingredients
pounds butternut squash
14 1/2 ounce can vegetable broth
1/2
cup water
1/8
teaspoon cayenne pepper
tablespoon margarine or butter
9 ounce package refrigerated cheese ravioli
tablespoon molasses (optional)

directions
Peel squash. Halve lengthwise. Remove seeds and discard. Cut squash into 3/4-inch pieces.
In a large saucepan, combine squash, broth, water, and cayenne pepper. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
Transfer one-fourth of the squash-and-broth mixture to a blender container. Carefully blend, covered, until smooth. Repeat until all of the mixture is blended.
Return blended mixture to large saucepan. Bring just to boiling. Immediately reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the margarine or butter, stirring until just melted.
Meanwhile, prepare the ravioli according to package directions. Drain. Ladle hot squash mixture into bowls. Divide cooked ravioli among bowls. If desired, drizzle with molasses. Makes 5 side-dish servings.
from the test kitchen
Prepare soup as directed, except do not add ravioli. Cool soup. Transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator up to 2 days or label and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, transfer frozen soup to a large saucepan. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through, stirring often. Cook ravioli as directed and serve with soup as directed.

nutrition facts (Butternut Squash Soup with Ravioli)
Servings Per Recipe 5, cal. (kcal) 259, Fat, total (g) 10, chol. (mg) 52, sat. fat (g) 5, carb. (g) 36, dietary fiber (g) 2, protein (g) 10, vit. A (RE) 979, vit. C (mg) 24, sodium (mg) 933, calcium (mg) 182, iron (mg) 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Old November 18, 2012   #81
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Butternut Squash Soup

It doesn't take much to turn roasted butternut squash into creamy soup. Simply puree the squash with onions, butter, and vegetable broth.

Makes: 10 servings
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Roast 1 hr 350°F

ingredients
pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon kosher salt
1/2
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cup chopped onion (1 large)
tablespoon unsalted butter
14 ounce cans vegetable broth

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Snipped fresh chives (optional)

directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large shallow roasting pan, toss together squash, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast, uncovered, about 1 hour or until tender, stirring once.
Meanwhile, in a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven, cook onion in hot butter over medium-low heat about 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Add roasted squash and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
Transfer squash mixture, in batches, to a blender; cover and blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. If desired, garnish each serving with chives.

nutrition facts (Butternut Squash Soup)
Servings Per Recipe 10, cal. (kcal) 100, Fat, total (g) 4, chol. (mg) 3, sat. fat (g) 1, Monosaturated fat (g) 2, carb. (g) 16, dietary fiber (g) 3, sugar (g) 4, protein (g) 1, vit. A (IU) 121, vit. C (mg) 25, sodium (mg) 713, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Old November 18, 2012   #82
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Chicken Butternut Squash Soup

Golden butternut squash, roasted with onions and curry powder, transports your taste buds to the wild side of chili. Chickpeas, dried apricots, and nutmeg-spiced walnuts add crunch.

Makes: 6 servings
Yield: 6 main-dish servings
Start to Finish 45 mins

ingredients
1 1/4
pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (4 cups)
small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
tablespoon curry powder
tablespoon olive oil
14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1/3
cup dried apricots, snipped
1/2
cup chopped walnuts
teaspoon olive oil
1/4
teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
purchased roasted chicken, cut up (skin and bones removed, if desired)

Fresh cilantro leaves

directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In shallow roasting pan combine squash red onion, and curry powder. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; toss gently to coat. Spread vegetables in a single layer. Roast, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

2. In 4-quart Dutch oven combine roasted vegetables, broth, beans, and dried apricots. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes; cool slightly. Transfer vegetable mixture, half at a time, to a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven; heat through.

3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine walnuts, 1 teaspoon oil, and nutmeg; toss gently to coat. Spread nuts on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes or until golden and toasted. If chicken is not warm, reheat according to package directions.

4. Ladle soup into shallow bowls. Top with chicken, walnut mixture, and cilantro.

nutrition facts (Chicken Butternut Squash Soup)
Servings Per Recipe 6, cal. (kcal) 577, Fat, total (g) 35, chol. (mg) 167, sat. fat (g) 9, Monosaturated fat (g) 3, carb. (g) 30, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 5, dietary fiber (g) 6, sugar (g) 11, protein (g) 44, vit. A (IU) 8552, vit. C (mg) 19, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 36, sodium (mg) 1905, Potassium (mg) 553, calcium (mg) 71, iron (mg) 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Old November 18, 2012   #83
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Curry powder, ginger, and fresh cilantro make this creamy butternut squash soup delicious and flavorful.

ingredients
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
tablespoons butter
teaspoons red curry powder or curry powder
teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/2
teaspoon salt
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/4
cups water
1 1/2
pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2
cup half-and-half or light cream
1/3
cup chopped fresh cilantro

Fresh cilantro (optional)

directions
In a large saucepan cook onion in hot butter over medium heat about 10 minutes or until tender and translucent. Stir in curry powder, ginger, and salt. Cook 30 seconds more.
Stir in chicken broth and water; bring to boiling. Add squash. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 40 minutes or until squash is tender.
Cool soup slightly. Transfer half the soup at a time to a blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth. Return all soup to saucepan. Stir in coconut milk, half-and-half, and chopped cilantro. Heat through. Top with fresh cilantro. Makes 6 side-dish servings.

nutrition facts (Curried Butternut Squash Soup)
Servings Per Recipe 6, cal. (kcal) 285, Fat, total (g) 24, chol. (mg) 23, sat. fat (g) 19, carb. (g) 18, Monosaturated fat (g) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, dietary fiber (g) 4, sugar (g) 5, protein (g) 4, vit. A (IU) 10350, vit. C (mg) 27, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 44, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 418, Potassium (mg) 589, calcium (mg) 91, iron (mg) 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Old November 18, 2012   #84
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Curry Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk and Pistachios

Have leftover coconut milk? Want a great soup recipe? Love curry flavor? Then this soup is perfect for you.

Ingredients
1/2 butternut squash
1 c coconut milk
2 c chicken broth
1 inch ginger
1 t curry powder
1/4 t cayenne
1/4 c chopped pistachios
to taste salt & pepper to taste

Yield: about 4 cups Serving

directions
Prep: 10 min Total: More than 60 min
Scoop out the seeds from 1/2 butternut squash and roast at 400 degrees for an hour.
Meanwhile, simmer the chicken broth with ginger--that will infuse the ginger flavor into the broth.
Once the butternut squash is tender, scoop it out from the skin and drop it into a blender.
Add coconut milk and strained chicken broth to the blender. Season with spices, salt & pepper. Pure.
Adjust the seasonings, pour the soup back into the pot and gently reheat.
Garnish each soup bowl with chopped pistachios.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/curry-butter...#ixzz2B7mNki1l
Old November 18, 2012   #85
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Squash-Quinoa Soup

Quinoa, a tiny beadlike grain, gives this chicken and butternut squash soup a slight crunch.

Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins

ingredients
ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3
cup finely chopped shallot or onion
teaspoons olive or canola oil
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
5 1/2 ounce can apricot nectar
pound butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
3/4
cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
teaspoon ground cumin
small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces

directions
In saucepan cook chicken and shallot in hot oil over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until shallots are tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth, apricot nectar, squash, quinoa, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Add zucchini. Cover and cook 10 minutes more or until squash and quinoa are tender. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Makes 6 (1-1/3 cup) servings.

nutrition facts (Squash-Quinoa Soup)
Servings Per Recipe 6, cal. (kcal) 226, Fat, total (g) 4, chol. (mg) 33, sat. fat (g) 1, carb. (g) 31, Monosaturated fat (g) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, dietary fiber (g) 3, sugar (g) 7, protein (g) 19, vit. A (IU) 7531, vit. C (mg) 19, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 8, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Folate (µg) 40, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 454, Potassium (mg) 678, calcium (mg) 71, iron (mg) 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Old August 31, 2015   #86
bluee19
Tomatovillian™

Anyone have a GREAT CHICKEN soup recipe? I'm sick with a cold and sore throat.
Old August 31, 2015   #87
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluee19 View Post
Anyone have a GREAT CHICKEN soup recipe? I'm sick with a cold and sore throat.
How much you wanna make a hole chicken of just enough for you?
Breast or dark meat?
Bone in or out?
Can you make a roux and do you have tarragon.
Give me a list of your supplies and I will give you a soup around it.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #88
bluee19
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
How much you wanna make a whole chicken of just enough for you?
Breast or dark meat?
Bone in or out?
Can you make a roux and do you have tarragon.
Give me a list of your supplies and I will give you a soup around it.
Worth
i don't have much ingredients. i was just wondering if anyone had a great and flavorful chicken recipe. I have been disappointed in the ones I have tried from restaurants and even recipes online.

I want chicken soup for one and with either type of white/dark meat.
Old August 31, 2015   #89
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluee19 View Post
i don't have much ingredients. i was just wondering if anyone had a great and flavorful chicken recipe. I have been disappointed in the ones I have tried from restaurants and even recipes online.

I want chicken soup for one and with either type of white/dark meat.
Okay here you go.
I have to tell you I cook with what is available in the house.
It is hard for me to tell what I do and can only give you guidelines you have to make things taste the way you want.
Now just because you like ketchup doesn't mean it will be good in chicken soup.
So I will give you the basic steps for a good soup and you ad what you think you like and have.
I will also give you some do's and dont's.
Don't add spices like tarragon to the soup until the very end.
Don't mix spices that dont complement each other.
So here we go.
Take equal parts oil and flour more or less.
Put the oil in a pan and heat it up but not smoking hot.
Add the flour a little at a time and stir it in the oil and cook at medium low heat just until it starts to change color then set it aside.
About 1/4 cup of flour will do.

Now take the chicken and cut it up raw into chunks into about 1/2 to 3/4 inch squares.
Season real well with salt black pepper and garlic powder mix it up and put it in the fridge.
You can use lots of hot red pepper too as this is good for a cold.
Now heat up a skillet and sear the chicken in it with oil until it is done.
Do NOT over cook it especially the breast.
You want the breast to be soft and juicy not dry.
Now take the roux you made with the flour and put it in a kettle and add a quart of low salt chicken broth on low heat and start mixing.
This will take about 30 minutes to cook and at the end bring to a very low simmer.
Now it is time to add more garlic tarragon and more pepper and some poultry seasoning be generous but not nuts.
Let your taste decide for you as to what you want it to taste like and what you have and use.
At the same time you do this put in the chicken and let it cook just at the very low simmer for about 15 minutes no more and maybe less.
You can boil all of the juice out of the chicken cooking it too hot and long.
Boiling water will also kill the herbs like tarragon you put in too.

While you were doing this pick out your favorite pasta and cook it rinse it and set it aside.
Cook as much as you think you will need.
Now that the soup is done and off the burner you can add the pasta to it let it heat up from the residual heat and serve.
This is the way I cook soups more or less with chicken.
I dont know if you have any dry white wine or vermouth in the house but if you do you can toss a shot in the chicken while it is cooking too.
I like vermouth myself.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #90
bower
Tomatovillian™

When I'm sick with the flu I make egg soup instead of chicken, because it takes little effort and is really nourishing and hits the spot.

Two cups of water and a chicken soup cube - put to boil
A package or handful of 3 minute curly noodles - add to boiling stock and set timer for 3 min.
While the noodles are cooking, chop up some green onions.
You can also grate some garlic into the soup as it boils.
A little chopped parsely or cilantro, a couple of snap peas, etc makes a good addition depending what's available but not required..
When the timer goes, crack an egg into the soup and stir it up.
Then add your green onions and optional herb/vegs, stir just long enough they are bright green.
Then add a squeeze of lemon if you have it.
Dish it up and serve with a dollop of plain yoghurt or sour cream.
Only takes 5 minutes, and I promise you'll feel better after eating this.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote