Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 24, 2016   #16
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Did you ever get your Teepee built?
I have thought about it several times dont ask me why.
Worth
Worth
Thanks for your comment.

I have 3 sets of Teepees in compost. I also have a pole structure, in native soil, which consists of 2 rows of poles fastened together at the top but with space between the rows of poles at the top. I hope amend the soil, in all areas, when I plant the poles in approximately 1 month. Also, I plan on modifying the pole bean varieties, which I plant. I hope to plant Rattlesnake (old standby), Alabama #1, Blue Marbut and Tobacco Worm. These pole bean varieties hopefully are suited to my hot, humid, disease prone environment.
For Bush Beans, I plan to use 3 varieties which I haven’t used before. First I will plant Jade as opposed to the Jade II variety which I have used in the past. The original Jade appears to be slightly more disease resistant than Jade II. Also I plan on using 2 other disease resistant varieties. The beans are described below with information as I found it on the web. I am not sure that it is actually accurate.

Crockett: OP, 58 days, very dark green, 5 1/4-6 inch pod, sieve size 55% 3 45% 2, white seeds, bush fillet variety-haricots verts

BCMV1(US1) R Bean Common Mosaic Virus
BCTV R Beet Curly Top Virus
Psp R Halo Blight
Pss R Bacterial Brown Spot
Ua R Rust
Xap R Bean B Common bacterial blight

Espada: F1, 56 days, 6” pod, medium green, sieve size 75% 4 25% 3, white seeds, good yields, long season

Name Code Espada
Anthracnose A X
Angular Leaf Spot ALS X
Bacterial Brown Spot BBS X
Common Bean Mosaic BCMV X
Bean Mosaic Virus BMV 15
Curly Top Virus CTV X
Halo Blight HB X
Powdery Mildew PM X
Rust R X

Note: the spacing of the tables above will likely be altered when I post.
I plan on updating my results here, whether good or bad.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote