Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 22, 2010   #16
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

scapes are on hardnecks. in santa clara maybe they grow only softnecks?

i have had some softnecks i planted create a scape, i'm at 42 north but i suspect in lower latitudes this does not happen at all.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #17
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well better late than never. Finally will be planting my garlic tomorrow. Got my stalk from Gourmet Garlic and to be honest two samplers was more than enough. The following varieties will be going in da ground at 10 am tomorrow, 6 bulbs each, Siberian, Asian Tempest, California Early, Shilla, Lorz Italian and Inchelium Red. I like the idea of hot, pungent tasting garlic, cant wait to try all of them.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #18
tedln

I wanted to grow garlic last year, but knew absolutely nothing about it. I grow tomatoes well, but I can't consistently grow large onion bulbs. I decided to grow garlic as simply as possible. I bought my bulbs at the grocery store. I have no idea which variety they were but I understand they probably were produced in China. I have no idea why we get garlic from China in our grocery stores.

I planted the cloves in late August. I watched them grow all winter. I would sometimes cut a few leaves from the plants and use them in dishes. I harvested my garlic bulbs in early June when the tops started turning brown. I let the tops dry a few days and then braided the garlic. We are now in December and most of the garlic braids are still hanging in my shop. We don't eat much garlic and I probably won't grow it again, but it grew well and produced well. The bulbs I harvested were considerably larger than the bulbs I purchased. The fresh garlic had a much better taste than the garlic I planted. Most grocery store garlic seems weak in flavor to me. It may be due to losing so much oil as it drys.

Good luck!

Ted
Old December 11, 2010   #19
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Sportsguy, This last post mentions braiding garlic; they have to be softneck(s). I however need(ed) a more rugged garlic for NH. As a result I only grew hardnecks.

This is a bit oversimplified, but I hope it is of use for you.