Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 24, 2006   #1
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Default Composting diseased tomato leaves?

I posted this earlier but some how it went in the photo gallery. Is it OK to compost diseased tomato plant clippings? Will the heat of the compost pile and microbial activity destroy harmful bacterial and fungal spores? I was thinking in a years time in the compost pile. Thanks for the info.

Vince.
Old June 24, 2006   #2
nancysil
Tomatovillian™

Everywhere I read about composting it recommends you do not put tomato plants into the compost bin. If you don't have the facilities to burn them then put them in the trash. Composting perfectly it seems possible to kill off pathogens, but it's not worth the risk of spreading a disease/fungus back into your garden.

In my case, I reuse my potting soil and refresh it with compost and amendments each year (I am a container grower). Reusing the same soil year after year is risky enough without adding last years foliage to the mix.
nancysil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2006   #3
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Vince...im an avid composter. i Strongly believe...in givin Back, to the Earth, all we take from it. That bein understood...consider your expertise in cooking a compost pile. I know in my case, i can never thouroughly COOK...all the piles ingredients. I compost in open air...massive piles of greens an leaves, shredded debris.

Because i know...the limitations inherrent in my technique, i NEVER...dispose of diseased tomato foilage...via composting. It get's thrown into the trash can, an hauled away to the landfill.

If i knew a way...practically...to ensure i could COOK it...i wouldnt do this. but i caint feel that secure...in my composting technique...to allow...such introduction. Fine Question...)))
Old June 25, 2006   #4
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

Why don't you check on the Composting forum? Good bunch of folks over there too.

They'll give you the correct answer. Which I believe is that a proper compost heap
will generate enough heat to cook away all the nasty disease....but I could be wrong too!
Old June 25, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I once looked up the temps that good composting could attain and then compared it with the temps known to inactivate ( denature) the various pathogen forms, as to bacteria, viruses and fungi.

Right now I don't remember all the details except the vegetative forms of bacteria and most viruses should be denatured but the major problem would be fungal spores, which are quite heat tolerant. Not as tolerant as classic bacterial spores, but nonetheless not easily killed.

I do remember saying that no way would I rely on composting to destroy all possible tomato pathogens.
Old June 25, 2006   #6
bully
Tomatovillian™

It could depend when you added the infected material to the compost.
Your compost pile is not always cookin, that is just one phase of composting. If you added the material at a time where it was done cooking and now it was just being broke down by all the critters (visible and invisible) then no way would it be hot enough.

Personally I wouldn't do it. Even if there was a 90% chance that it would kill the diseases, I wouldn't do it.
It's not worth it for me, considering not only what's at stake but how much work it is spraying daconil once a week, and the cost of the stuff. I wouldn't want to go through all that and then introduce diseases to my compost pile.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2006   #7
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Why risk it? Is organic matter to put in the pile that scarce that you would risk adding diseased materials? I don't add any trimmings that are diseased.

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2006   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

This Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus thing has got me re-examining composting garden waste.

Seems that the thrips that carry TSWV are in some sort of cycle that involves their bug form, egg form, larval form, and pupae form. Don't the pupae drop off the plant and burrow in the dirt, mulch, and litter at the base of the plants to hatch?

Also, it seems the thrips live and thrive on other species of plants besides tomatoes. I can't remember right off the top of my head, but I remember reading some info where other common garden vegetables, flowers, and shrubs also play host to thrips.

So, my question is ... can the pupae survive in the compost bin ... regardless of which variety of plant you toss in there ... and live to infest the tomatoes growing in the composted material?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2006   #9
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input everybody! I already threw some bad looking leaves in my compost pile over the past month. I don't think I'll put anymore, but I will still use this mulch. Does the tomato spotted wilt virus plague cali as it does the rest of the country? I haven't seen any Cali posters talking about it.

Vince
Old May 23, 2007   #10
Mitch-in-the-garden
Tomatovillian™

Do yourself a favor. Don't compost your diseased tomato plants.
Mitch-in-the-garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007   #11
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_chemist View Post
I posted this earlier but some how it went in the photo gallery. Is it OK to compost diseased tomato plant clippings? Will the heat of the compost pile and microbial activity destroy harmful bacterial and fungal spores? I was thinking in a years time in the compost pile. Thanks for the info.
Vince.
I will have some kind of an answer by the end of this season.
I encountered major disease devastation last season :
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=terrorism

I roto-tilted everything, leaves, stems, roots, rotten tomatoes, ---- into the soil. At the begining of the season, I did put plastic over the beds to "cook" the soil using solar heat, but I don't think it was hot enough to heat up the soil deep.

So far this year the plants look healthy. They are about 36" tall and starting to set fruit.

My fingers are crossed.

Please don't try what I have done. I don't think it's a good idea. I was lazy.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007   #12
lavandula girl
Tomatovillian™

If you're really anti throwing them away, put them in a burn barrel. I don't like filling the trash with my plant material that's questionable for the compost, but I have no problem burning it. Once they're ash, the disease won't be functional anymore!
Old May 24, 2007   #13
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I def. bag mine and toss em right away ~

A no no for my compost bin ...

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #14
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I'm starting an education to become the compost guide for my village. The compost expert claimed that all materials allowed in the compost system can go in disease or not and he specifically used the tomato case as an example.
The primary condition is that you compost perfectly ie. active composting achieving high temperatures. When the pile gets its first and highest temperature peak it should have killed 60% of unwanted seeds and diseases. By restimulating the process (adding air and new greens) you increase the temp again and most of the remaining will die.

If you are not confident in the succes of your composting it may be a hard risk to take. It has to be active composting definitely
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2007   #15
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

One way to insure prper heating is to pack all the tomatoe foilage in a black plastic trash bag. Adding fress grass clipping helps. Let it simmer in the sun for a week. then add to the compost heap.
bryanccfshr is offline   Reply With Quote