Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2017   #1
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default How Small a Container??

Just how small a container will grow a Dwarf / Tree Tomato? Was planning a 5 gallon bucket w/potting soil/potting mix with holes drilled in the side about 3" up from the bottom w/rocks in the bottom? Will this work w/ Tomato - Tone and One(1)Dwarf per container?
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default How Small a Container??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Just how small a container will grow a Dwarf / Tree Tomato? Was planning a 5 gallon bucket w/potting soil/potting mix with holes drilled in the side about 3" up from the bottom w/rocks in the bottom? Will this work w/ Tomato - Tone and One(1)Dwarf per container?

All of my dwarfs are grown in five gallon plastic grow bags and they do just fine. I've never grown in buckets, but hopefully someone who has can comment on your plan for using rocks and drilling the holes so high up. I know it's not good for the roots to be "standing" in water.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I seen people put up to 3 dwarf plants per 5 gallon bucket. They'll consume a lot of water so you will want a reservoir like you suggest (should be just fine), but you may want to consider a double bucket, bottom watering system (look on youtube for more ideas on that).
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Actually you can grow any variety in 5 gallons of soil but you have to work harder.
What a plant needs are moisture and nutrient. Of course it needs a mnimum space for the root mass. Given that nutients and moisture are adequately provided, smaller root mass will translate to smaller plant. that is the principle in growing Bonsai.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #5
edweather
Tomatovillian™

@tryno12, Yes you can use a 5 gallon bucket. I've grown almost exclusively in containers the past several years. I might suggest getting some feedback from others who have grown in containers on this forum or on the Container Growing forum on another site. A lot of people use a fast draining mix similar to the 5-1-1 mix, which is 5 parts pine fines, one part perlite, and one part peat. A tablespoon of lime is added for each gallon of mix to buffer the pH, and add calcium. Potting soils and potting mixes from the store can work, but tend to be too water retentive. Rocks in the bottom will just raise the perched water level, which you do not want. It's best to have the whole bucket filled with potting mix, with holes in the bottom. Water when needed, and feed regularly with a weak fertilizer. There are also "self watering" containers that you can make and there's plenty of info on them.
Old April 23, 2017   #6
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, a lot to learn here - don't want to screw up any of my plants!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote