Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old January 19, 2016   #61
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

2 ft. deep is pretty deep for tomato's, no ?
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #62
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mine is a Bronco garden tiller, and I hate it. The issue is mainly because of the soil here tbh. It is so hard and compacted that tilling new ground is akin to tilling asphalt. That being said my issue is that the tines turn to fast to allow the tiller to get "dug in" as it were to prevent it from running away and lowering the throttle causes it to choke down to often. The older tiller I borrow has a much better designed bar that actually works, is maybe 50lbs heavier and Id say has 3x the torque.

The Bronco only seems to work once an area has already been tilled, and since I mainly need it for new projects/beds etc it is pretty useless. Don't forget I do landscaping and have probably used 20 different tillers in my day and many newer models seem to have the same issue. My step-dads is the only hand tiller I have ever used that works so well. I do like the smaller Mantis type tillers for the garden but when I have heavy tilling to do I turn to the old school.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #63
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Mine is a Bronco garden tiller, and I hate it. The issue is mainly because of the soil here tbh. It is so hard and compacted that tilling new ground is akin to tilling asphalt. That being said my issue is that the tines turn to fast to allow the tiller to get "dug in" as it were to prevent it from running away and lowering the throttle causes it to choke down to often. The older tiller I borrow has a much better designed bar that actually works, is maybe 50lbs heavier and Id say has 3x the torque.

The Bronco only seems to work once an area has already been tilled, and since I mainly need it for new projects/beds etc it is pretty useless. Don't forget I do landscaping and have probably used 20 different tillers in my day and many newer models seem to have the same issue. My step-dads is the only hand tiller I have ever used that works so well. I do like the smaller Mantis type tillers for the garden but when I have heavy tilling to do I turn to the old school.
I know and I tried to be very respectful and it was for anyone else that may have had the problem.
After I showed the guy that he needed to put the spike down he was flabbergasted.
Mine is a huge 8 hp I think and you need lots of room to use it.
When you make the tines rotate backwards it will dig a hole to China.
But even then it has limitations.
I also use it to drag heavy objects I cant move by hand.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote