Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 6, 2016   #46
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Good ideas guys.
I'm rolling with:
Black Beauty, Dark Queen, the Tie Dyes, the bigger Boars, Purple Bumble Bee, Delicious, Chapman, about 9 different dwarfs covering green/red/yellow/orange, Paul Robeson, and Pierce's Pride.
I have never grown any of them, but relying on the reviews others have given and my own opinion of their visual appeal.
I guess I'll find out for myself. Winners will be noted and narrowed down for the next season. I can afford to experiment because I have a full-time "real" job, and this endeavor is to add to my income, not replace it.
I'd grow all these for fun/personal use anyway, but hopefully they are good enough to sell at a premium.
Sowing date is 7 days away! So pumped!!!
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #47
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Try to avoid that Tijuana frostbite.

I'm going to start with a menu of one tomato of each color, just to try to keep it simple to restaurant customers. For example, it's a big step to introduce someone to the concept of a GWR tomato; I don't want to complicate that by elaborating into the fact that there is more than one green when ripe variety.
It could get tricky fast trying to explain GWR. I'm gonna tell them they're either getting small, medium, or large slicers in "red" (I won't even attempt to define pink vs red, epidermis vs flesh), with lots of gel or a little gel, whether it has a core or not, how well it keeps, and suggested uses. Same with the other colors.

A cousin of mine on my mom's side is a big foodie, and she's on very friendly terms with nearly every chef in town. And on my dad's side there are quite a few people in the culinary world too, so even though large extended families are double-edged swords, in this case the xiphos is cutting away from me.

It's just a matter of production now. Many of those are your seeds, thank you brother. Sweet Scarlet is bulking up even more.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #48
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Do you guys think chefs will be open to Blacks? I have had hard time explaining to my neighbors that Blacks are not only edible, but highly delicious - the reaction was like 'Is that rotten?'

I'm sure once people taste it sliced, or in a salad, they'll love the flavor (or not).

For the uninitiated, it may be safer to present 'easy' colors, like orange, white, pink, even blue... Agree that GWR is tricky too.

Not everyone is as sophisticated as we are

Last edited by NarnianGarden; March 8, 2016 at 05:17 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #49
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

A good black with some high end bacon can really blow people away.
Old March 8, 2016   #50
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure; the challenge is to get people to eat it first...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #51
reddeheddefarm
Tomatovillian™

if its an even mediocre chef, they will try it
reddeheddefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #52
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a market customer last year looking at plants. He was eyeing Tasmanian Chocolate, but just could not embrace the idea of a chocolate-colored tomato. He asked me if it was "going to look like a t*rd in a punch bowl."

I told him that if he was that worried about it, not to buy the plant. But I think he did anyway.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #53
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

years ago we all used to get together and eat out on Friday.
Some of the guys would have their wife come along.
One of them would go eew what is that.
Egg plant.
Eew thats sounds gross.
Eew what its this she would be told again.
Eew that sounds gross and continue to pick in her food.
What are you eating.
Eew that looks or sounds gross.
I got fed up with her one time and told her in front of everyone, "Why dont you just shut up and eat or leave.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #54
bower
Tomatovillian™

My farmer friend, her partner is a chef. The two of them even like some tomatoes I don't like... Russian Mini Yellow, it just had an odd taste I thought. But anything unique tasting, a high end chef can appreciate and do amazing things with it.

PureHarvest, word of caution about the Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, they go from ripe to mush in the blink of an eye, so be prepared to harvest and deliver. I did find I could slow them down a little by picking at colour but not leaving on the vine until they start to soften... after that, they're done! Also by picking when hard I was able to hold them for a couple of days in a room at 60F. Very unique taste for a black though, so definitely chef-worthy, but tricky to deliver.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #55
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip. I would have found out the hard way.
Definitely will be narrowing down the initial trials after I experience these things.
I would like to get it down to a handful. I think doing 4-5 really well is better than throwing the heirloom/OP kitchen sink at a chef. Or maybe they all kick butt.
As long as I hit all the bases like holding time, yield, disease resistance etc
Thanks again!
Old March 9, 2016   #56
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

I would bring the chefs tomatoes that they have never seen before in the Market. Chefs like having something special that they can brag about to there customers while giving the customer a new experience. If it's expensive- Better

Believe me-- I have made a career thinking of , creating and implementing something that is new and exciting for my customers.
Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #57
bower
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget to wow the chefs with something that looks amazing sliced.
Gotta say, some bicolor tomatoes (and tricolors and blacks too) are stunning chopped up! Which is what you see on the plate, ultimately...
Beauty that's more than skin deep.... ah, tomatoes.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #58
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

What, no Girl Girl's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Lots to choose from. Blowing their minds won't be a problem, and I'll go mostly without the blues, except for Lucid gem and Indigo Cherry Drops. Other tools in the mind-blowing kit will be: Lucky Cross, OR-117, BWine Cowlick's & Sudduth's, GJ-Benton, Dora, Gary O'Sena, Daniel Burson, Rebel Yell, Stump OTW, JD's Special CT, Fresa, Anna Maria's Heart, Hungarian Heart, Belarusian Heart, Mazarini Heart, Larisa, Faworyt, Chapman, Crnkovic Yugo, Novikova Giant, Everett's Rusty Oxheart, Big Cheef, Terhune, Hoy, Daniels, Zamorano, Russian Soul, Bwine from Croatia, Petrovich, Momotaro & Odoriko & Sekai Ichii, Dwarf Arctic Rose, Tarasenko-6, Cosmonaut Volkov, Taxi, Jackass yellow, Orange Jazz, BHN-871, Fred's Tie Dye, Pearls of Wisdom, Solar Flare, Uluru O, Wherokowhai, Copper River, Tasm Choc, Vorlon, ISPL, Pruden's Purple, Darocense Corporalis, Rebelski & Marbonne, + many more dwarfs + artisan cherries.
In the fall I'll make the transition to former Soviet-bloc origin so I can keep pumping out good ones year round. If all goes well I'll erect a small greenhouse to aid against our excruciating, bone-chilling cold that easily rivals Newfoundland in its severity.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #59
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
What, no Girl Girl's?
Girl Girl's is cursed for me somehow. Lost the first batch to a storm. Rescued one of them, nursed it, and as I was ready to plant it out, it spontaneously succumbed to stem rot. Have some soaking as we speak...fingers crossed and GGWT will be part of my long list of WOW maters.

List will change as the months progress.
Old March 10, 2016   #60
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Jess is sending me some GGWT Friday!

Thanks for stopping in here Oldchef. One of the main things I'm keying on is the one-upmanship between chefs. And unique stuff that I just don't see anywhere around here.
I feel like I can become the tomato guy because everyone else is trying to do the full veggie offering. I can specialize.
However, with 3 kids and a full time job, I do need to have some that are unique but that I can rely on for production and holding ability (great flavor too) etc. we will see what that is in my setup.
I guess I could do lots mores types, but i am concerned with overloading the chefs. One things I experienced when I was in retail was that you don't really need to offer as many options as you think to make people happy and to make a living.
Old chef, what is your take on that?
Would you rather know you are gonna get 2 boxes of GGWT every week, or 2 boxes of mixed uniqueness every week?
Or would it be a mix of both?
I guess what it comes down to is I'll grow what I know my chefs will buy and want. Anything beyond that is for experimentation and fun. And to occasionally show up and show them "something new and rare I'm trying"