Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 16, 2017   #46
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
What do you hope to gain by propagating inside a freezer chest? It doesn't make any sense to me.

As for fan placement, put the fan anywhere so long as it makes the little guys wiggle.
Hi..Well i will use self watering propagators that sit in the freezer on rails where they will get the light from grow lights reflected round by the stainless steel lining and I can fit one or two small fans in the sides of the freezer......I have a big freezer with stainless steel lining and used the same method there two seasons ago for my seedlings and they grew great ...of course I wonder what they would have been like with fans >>
Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #47
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear, I wrote a lengthy reply and it has disappeared... Ah darn.

Your seedlings are looking great and look to be strong enough to go into the greenhouse. Once they start getting some natural sunlight, they should really take off.

I tried to keep it simple when I first introduced mycos to you. I use MycoGro myself. I have tried others, this one is just more affordable and it works well for me. There is a University in Australia that is doing some nice studies working with your local mycos. You might want to look into it further.

Your Black Cherry experiment looks fun! I should work very well for you. Eva Ste Wendell is looking good. I do remember you complaining how weak the plants were. This is a rather new variety that is not on the market yet. I have not grown it myself, so I am looking forward to seeing how this does for you there. It will be having some open flowers very soon so get yourself ready to be doing some pollinating. Paul Robeson will be easy to tell apart from your other seedlings. It's leaves have sort of a 'mitten' shape to them rather than being pointy.

It sounds as if your soil mix is working out well for you. Buckets are the way to go. They are light and durable and easy to work with. There are even threads here on the forum on how to make self-watering systems out of them. Many growers here use the 10 gallon buckets.

I'm glad that your family made the trip to visit you. It sounds as if you enjoyed your time spent with them.
Old January 17, 2017   #48
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..Its terrible when that happens.. ..Now I must do more to try and find what exactly is available IN MYCOS..I did go for a bike ride but its now pouring with rain ..I took all the plastic sheeting off the property down to the recyclers on my bike and trailor..i have to try and tidy everything ....Yes I got 10 buckets ...I presume they will do once I put holes in them ...I am going to go outside and photograph the unknowns ...?? You may recognise some of them ...I go to all the trouble to keep track of every one and do something like not writing what they are on their new home...
Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2904.jpg (272.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2905.jpg (259.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2906.jpg (189.8 KB, 45 views)
Old January 17, 2017   #49
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/product...FYcHKgod4AoEWw#

Patti..This is an Australian Company ....That could be worth looking at...The shipping would probably be reasonable....I am trying to find out if these products can be imported....I recall one at Diacks Garden centre early on ...
If you have time could you have a quck look at the links products...

Thanks Ron..
Old January 17, 2017   #50
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I have downloaded the RegisteredRegistrations File for all fungicides in NZ (54,000 entries) but there is no sign of Mycorrhizae in it so I will email them...i cannot see how this product could be banned as there is similar already in Garden Centres...the nutri-tech product could be the way to go .... Mycorrhizae is available on ebay but aproz US$50 for shipping...I am afraid i will have to rely on your expertise here ..Innoculation is something I do everynight for my diabetes???but by the photos thehydrosource’s Mycorrhizae Root Fungi Endo Mycorrhiza and Kelp4less’ Endo Mycorrhizae does make a difference...Now there is an Actinovate listed in the Registry I downloaded ....Registered to Monsanto...

Re Serenade .... the smallest pack is 5 Kg.... If one knew a few growers it could probably be shared?? and I have put an add in Saturdays paper "Tomato plants for sale" with my phone number so its going to be interesting ... My Whippersnapper got some cold water on it that dripped from the roof so I bought it inside and put it beside my plantlings hoping the fan could revive some of the drooping leaves...it does show signs of working ..the rain is so close to being hail I will need reviving soon,,my plants really need the sun and warmth..Regards Ron.
Old January 17, 2017   #51
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Mycorrhizae is not a chemical product. It is not a fungicide. It is living organisms that compete with the bad molds and fungus which prevents them from taking hold of your plants and soil. Mycorrhizae can not be banned since they are living everywhere.

I checked your link and it does seem OK. I just prefer to use the AMF and not the Trichoderma which they have in their product. They do not state which species or how many of each, which I find surprising but then I have found that things are done differently there.

Since I have to guess which plant is Paul Robeson, my guess would be the first plant. It won't be long until you know for sure since you have it blooming for you. Good job using the copper spray, keep it up so that all of your new growth is treated. It's time for you to start vibrating your plants once or twice a day to ensure that you are getting good pollination. Once fruit set occurs, then step up using more potassium in your feed. It will create larger tomatoes.

Cheers ~ Patti
Old January 17, 2017   #52
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I have rewritten my enquiry to the Govt....

Now no bees so should I put some tall fans out in the greenhouse to help in pollination.. ...Its a better day today and somebody has complained about the state of my property to the city council so I will have to try and clean everything up...
Regards Ron..
Old January 17, 2017   #53
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oops, I was worrying about that. While your greenhouse looks better than your old one, you do have a lot of debris lying around. At least they are not sending the police again due you being suspected of growing marijuana.

Fans will help some with pollination but I still rely on my electric toothbrush. I even use it on my plants growing outside. If you do not wish to do the toothbrush route, then shaking the plants works pretty well. I just would not rely on the bees and breeze to give you the best pollination.
Old January 17, 2017   #54
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti... I have a fan outside and will put at least another in... The good day never lasted long ...its pouring with rain and I am soaked from working round the section...sorting things out ..My friend will be coming Monday to take everything away... Meantime I am doing more reading on Mycorrhizae..I rang Diacks earlier and they only have the same product they did a year ago...I recall photographing that posting it so went through the growing laterals thread and there it was ...You were not impressed with it and it and Plantmate are used mostly for Strawberries also they told me that Trichoderma IE Plantmate loses its effectivness pretty quickly after the packet is opened....I will check Hydroponic shops on the net ...they may have some Mycrogrow which I think is what you use...
Meantime I hope there is a youtube video on the technique to use with the electric toothbrush...
Regards ron

Last edited by murihikukid; January 17, 2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old January 17, 2017   #55
MissS
Tomatovillian™

MycoGrow is what I use. You do not need to buy a large amount as a very little bit goes a long way. You could contact the company and see if they would be willing to mail it to you in a greeting card. It is far cheaper for us to send cards overseas than to send padded parcels. Purchase the $5.00 package. It will last for about 9 months.

Here is a thread on using the electric toothbrush.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ric+toothbrush

Cheers ~ Patti
Old January 18, 2017   #56
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

http://www.rd2.co.nz/shop/product_in...roducts_id=150
Patti...I found this ..it seems to be a NZ website ,,,Their product is a teabag ?? that one drops into the planting hole ..it seems to me at a cost of aprox $10 for 10 begs......Is fungi.com the company in the USA?? ...Ebay Australia has many listings also??...I am inside and I am cold with the fans going... ??...Marley is asleep on the bed which tells me he is not happy outside in this weather ...its really depressing...

The greenhouse has a number of places where rain leaks through and these have to be taped up ...the problem is its too wet to do it...My poor Whipper snapper does not look good at all after getting dripped with cold rain water.....It was always my intention to clean everything up once the greenhouse was built but due to the weather I just have not been able to get it done....Now I am looking at all my neighbours wondering which one complained although i am 99% sure I know who it was but the place really needs cleaned up so it has to be done.....
I also have too seal the greenhouse to keep more warmth in it ...I recall how hot my plastic greenhouse was two seasons ago when I had a good crop of tomatoes ..it was actually too hot...

Thanks for the toothbrush link...it reminds me i have to get out and remove more laterals and their flowers from my TT's..
Regards Ron
Old January 18, 2017   #57
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Interesting Site??

Patti..I have read through the products offered on www.rd2.co.nz and as you know most are out of my depth but some looked interesting especially if tomatoes are mentioned so I took some screen captures from there site...and would welcome any comment on them... Maybe you can find the time in the future to check each of their products listed...most i think come from the States....
Thanks Ron...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biomin-Copper_2017-01-18_235730.jpg (26.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg GC-3_2017-01-19_000053.jpg (9.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Mycormax-2017-01-18_235409.jpg (74.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg TRI-D25_2017-01-18_235548.jpg (84.4 KB, 33 views)
Old January 18, 2017   #58
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..Just watched the thread re the electric toothbrush plus the video which answered nearly all my questions...Is this a once only job or does it have to be repeated ??? I still think the hand held air pump would be easier (quicker and safer )but would it do the job...I better get some photos of the TT's to get advice on some more pruning cause they have so many flowers it will be so much easier with the pruning done.....Regards Ron
Old January 18, 2017   #59
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Terrible Problems?

Hi...We had terrible gusts pf winds in the early hours of the morning and I have lost part of my house roof and also the side length of the novalite on my greenhouse roof which I had left an over hang on it and was going to cut it off but due to the weather I just never did it ...so apparantly the wind must have got under the overhang with so much power it lifted the whole length off ...amazing I never thought that could happen ....so I do not know what else I am going to find... ...I hope my plants have survived but they will have to be moved unless I can get the roof fixed and being realistic there is no way i can do that in this weather ....It just continues to be a nightmare down here for me...and its still blowing and raining...

Cheers Ron
Old January 18, 2017   #60
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron I am terribly sorry to hear about your greenhouse. Such a big disappointment after all of your hard work. I hope that there was not too much damage and that it isn't too difficult or expensive to repair.

I will check out the rd2 website in the morning. I just got home from work and am too tired to do it tonight.

You need to pollinate your tomatoes every day. Each day you have new blossoms. Some people buzz their plants both in the morning and in the early evening. I just buzz the stem with the whole flower cluster attached instead of each stem of one blossom, which then gets all of the blossoms moving to enable the pollen to fall. The air pump would be fine if you are comfortable with it. Just use it every day.

Keep your chin up ~ Patti