Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 14, 2017   #16
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I think you have the same mix of opinions in here, so maybe try it both ways this year and come to your own conclusion

I think everyone does agree that peppers can definitely be grown in a 5 gallon bucket.
I might consider grow bags of a larger volume 7-10 gal and double up that way.
My 5 gal buckets are converted to the "Earth-tainer" concept. Not using those will surely require more watering.

Last edited by old_drummer; January 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling
old_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #17
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Earthbox mfg. recommend 6 peppers per box. If memory serves me correctly the EB holds approx. 14 gal of media.. I personally think 6 is too much. I have tried it. Four works better, and two works even better, as far as size of plant and production.

I am planning of 4 per box this year to check again. Last year I planted 2 Cal. Wonder peppers in a 15 gal pot. They grew well and were pretty productive.

But then again, I feel that two tomato plants (except for dwarfs) is too much for one Earthbox, but many disagree with me.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #18
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
Earthbox mfg. recommend 6 peppers per box. If memory serves me correctly the EB holds approx. 14 gal of media.. I personally think 6 is too much. I have tried it. Four works better, and two works even better, as far as size of plant and production.

I am planning of 4 per box this year to check again. Last year I planted 2 Cal. Wonder peppers in a 15 gal pot. They grew well and were pretty productive.

But then again, I feel that two tomato plants (except for dwarfs) is too much for one Earthbox, but many disagree with me.
I'm building two earth boxes next month, so I'll try that too. I have a very compact garden space.
old_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #19
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Uhm...So, it is one pepper plant per 5 gallon grow bag, bucket, or basket...or is it two peppers per 5 gallon. grow bag, bucket, or baskets?
I read the thread twice...maybe I missed the answer? I have 5 gallon and larger buckets,containers, and will buy the bags-but I still don't know what size is right for peppers, or how many per 5 gallon container? How about tomatoes! :evillaugh:
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #20
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I put one pepper plant per pot, basket, bag. Pepper plants there roots usually take up all the space with just one plant. I do one tomato plant per too.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #21
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

The answer is: IT DEPENDS. Are you trying to cram two Tree Habs into a mud bucket, or what?

Same with toms. it can be done, but is it wise under the circumstance?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post
Uhm...So, it is one pepper plant per 5 gallon grow bag, bucket, or basket...or is it two peppers per 5 gallon. grow bag, bucket, or baskets?
I read the thread twice...maybe I missed the answer? I have 5 gallon and larger buckets,containers, and will buy the bags-but I still don't know what size is right for peppers, or how many per 5 gallon container? How about tomatoes! :evillaugh:
Basically, any plant that grows as large or larger than a 5 gallon bucket needs to be planted one plant per 5 gallon bucket/container.

Plants like Lime Green Salad tomato can be planted two per 5 gallon bucket. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Lime_Green_Salad You may need to do some trimming, but it can happen.

There are countless smaller pepper plants like Medusa and Ornamental Thai Chili that you could plant three per 5 gallon bucket.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #23
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I only plant 1 pepper plant per 5 gal. I mostly use smart pots.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #24
encore
Tomatovillian™

a couple years back i grew 2 cherry tomatoes (sun gold) in a 5 gal bucket (which are actually 6 gals.) anyways, they grew fine, BUT the next year i only grew 1 in the bucket, and it grew better than the 2 plus had more fruit than the 2 combined, just my 2 cents worth---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #25
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
The answer is: IT DEPENDS. Are you trying to cram two Tree Habs into a mud bucket, or what?

Same with toms. it can be done, but is it wise under the circumstance?

What's a mud bucket?
I want to buy a few grow bags, I would like to get a size that would work with the peppers and dwarf tomatoes that I plan to grow. In this thread, some say 1 pepper per 5 gallon container, some say that two plants are fine too.
I have grown peppers in 5 gallon containers before. 1 plant per container. I grew dwarf Orange Cream and Kangaroo Paw Green, and Brown Paw tomatoes last year-in 5 gallon pots and bushel baskets lined with landscape fabric.
I am here to learn something new. If two peppers in a 5 gallon pot would work, I will try it.
...and seriously-what is a mud bucket?
Thanks for the reply.
Old March 12, 2017   #26
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Read up on the anticipated size/width and decide for yourself based on your space and variety of fruit desired.

Try it out, it's fun to experiment.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #27
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Basically, any plant that grows as large or larger than a 5 gallon bucket needs to be planted one plant per 5 gallon bucket/container.

Plants like Lime Green Salad tomato can be planted two per 5 gallon bucket. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Lime_Green_Salad You may need to do some trimming, but it can happen.

There are countless smaller pepper plants like Medusa and Ornamental Thai Chili that you could plant three per 5 gallon bucket.
Thanks, that is advice I never heard before! Why I come here-to learn something useful and new!
Thanks for the link! Lime Green Salad is neat little tomato! I an a fan of green when ripe tomatoes,too.
I like Black Pearl Ornamental pepper-hot as, well, to hot for me. But I have Medusa, Sweet Pickle, and Pretty and Sweet onamentals marked...but am getting the too many pepper an tomato seeds grumblings from the husband..
Old March 12, 2017   #28
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post

What's a mud bucket?
I want to buy a few grow bags, I would like to get a size that would work with the peppers and dwarf tomatoes that I plan to grow. In this thread, some say 1 pepper per 5 gallon container, some say that two plants are fine too.
I have grown peppers in 5 gallon containers before. 1 plant per container. I grew dwarf Orange Cream and Kangaroo Paw Green, and Brown Paw tomatoes last year-in 5 gallon pots and bushel baskets lined with landscape fabric.
I am here to learn something new. If two peppers in a 5 gallon pot would work, I will try it.
...and seriously-what is a mud bucket?
Thanks for the reply.
A five gallon container with handle. Usually referred to as a mud bucket if your working with any type of cement. . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #29
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

The paste that builders use to seal the joints between dry wall panels before painting is called mud. (Jimbo is right; mud can refer to a lot of things, not just this stuff.)

Mud is heavy so the 5 gal buckets it's sold in are strong. Also useless when empty and are often retrieved from residential building sites. They make dandy plant pots, and can be stacked for hydroponic setups.

Black Pearl is a gorgeous pepper - it won National Best Ornamental some years ago. But don't try to eat it. Too seedy, too hot for you, and some people think it has a soapy flavor. Just stand back and admire. Two in a bucket is quite reasonable since they aren't large, but I think most containers detract from its beauty. I've always used plain black plastic nursery pots and let the plants shine. Also check out Numex Twilight.

And tell hubby to go fix the car.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #30
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A bucket of mud can mean a 5 gallon bucket of mortar around half to 3/4 full. Mortar is often referred to as mud. To define it better:

A sack of dry mortar is called exactly that - A sack of mortar.

When mortar is mixed with brick sand and water - it is known as mud...even though there is no dirt involved. It is a slang term used for centuries.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote