Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2017   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default What causes a twisty stem?

You know what I mean without posting a pic, as it is not that uncommon. Every once in a while, I'll get a seedling with a twisted or curved stem. I'm growing one out now as it was the only Kelloggs Breakfast I had left after giving the rest away, and geez it is one unruly plant. It's only about 2 ft tall now but I finally decided to attempt to straighten it a bit by tying it to a stake. It didn't like that one bit. Anyone else ever grow such a crooked tomato? Will it straighten up later?
Just wondering what causes this.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
You know what I mean without posting a pic, as it is not that uncommon. Every once in a while, I'll get a seedling with a twisted or curved stem. I'm growing one out now as it was the only Kelloggs Breakfast I had left after giving the rest away, and geez it is one unruly plant. It's only about 2 ft tall now but I finally decided to attempt to straighten it a bit by tying it to a stake. It didn't like that one bit. Anyone else ever grow such a crooked tomato? Will it straighten up later?
Just wondering what causes this.
Yes, I've grown twisted stem ones before. I think it happens when one side of the stem grows faster than the other side and whether that would be due to a somatic mutation,well, it's a possibility.

No,I never tried to tie such plants to as stake,sheesh,you'd need a professional orthopaedic surgeon with an interst in tomatoes to do that.

And my own ortho would be one of them.

Carolyn
Old April 21, 2017   #3
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

I've had a few of those and I usually just toss them. I kept them for awhile at times and it doesn't ever seem to get better. If it's your only one I guess you can try to see what you can get out of it. I have never kept them to the fruiting stage. Glad Carolyn commentated and added some credence to my suspicions that it is some kind of genetic problem. I have went round with some who say it is herbicide damage when they have not been outside and hundreds of others are just fine.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Never even seen one.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #5
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I'd love to see a picture.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote