Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 10, 2018   #1
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Default Primitive Technology

I was looking at some Youtube videos on gardening and ran actoss thiis video. There is a whole section of videos about "Primitive Technology." This one shows an indigenous islander making a homemade desalinator water purifier out of mud, a clay pot, and sticks. I assume that the mud stove could also be used for cooking.

https://youtu.be/zf4JrsqlIkU
Old June 10, 2018   #2
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Interesting video! Primitive works.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Great video. This was definitely not his first time building a distiller! Very skillful and such a quick build. Good thing there was such nice clay on that 'desert island'.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #4
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I made my primitive water distiller with two glass jars. The outer jar is a 2 gallon Anchor Hocking Heritage all glass jar with glass lid. The inner jar is an Anchor Hocking Heritage 1/2 gallon jar with black marbles on its bottom.

The inner jar (evaporator jar) without its lid is filled with water. The unit is placed in the sun. Water evaporates from the inner jar and condenses on the outer jar.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
Interesting. I made my primitive water distiller with two glass jars. The outer jar is a 2 gallon Anchor Hocking Heritage all glass jar with glass lid. The inner jar is an Anchor Hocking Heritage 1/2 gallon jar with black marbles on its bottom.

The inner jar (evaporator jar) without its lid is filled with water. The unit is placed in the sun. Water evaporates from the inner jar and condenses on the outer jar.
I might try this in my greenhouse just for fun.
It's actually hard to imagine a shortage of fresh water here where I live. I would be better off learning some primitive technology for a pump...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #6
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

It is only useful if you have a need for distilled (demineralized) water. I mostly use it for cleaning when I don't want to leave residue behind (cleaning glass, spraying statues). Rain would work too but I get very little of that.

Yield is very low, perhaps 1/2 ounce per day. I have several setups to increase yield but haven't measured the actual yield yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I might try this in my greenhouse just for fun.
It's actually hard to imagine a shortage of fresh water here where I live. I would be better off learning some primitive technology for a pump...
Old June 11, 2018   #7
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

From what I could see, he was mostly interested in the salt. The purified water was a byproduct.

I just found it interesting that primitive tech works just as well as modern tech.
Old June 24, 2018   #8
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I measured the output rate over thirty days. One set-up yielded 1 1/4 ounces of distilled water per day based on the average yield of three units over the thirty day period.
Old June 24, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I measured the output rate over thirty days. One set-up yielded 1 1/4 ounces of distilled water per day based on the average yield of three units over the thirty day period.
You need bigger jars for the average recommended intake of two quarts a day.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay now that we are going to burn up all the wood in the small island what next.
Ask the folks found on Easter Island.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #11
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Okay now that we are going to burn up all the wood in the small island what next.
Ask the folks found on Easter Island.

Worth
If I'm on a small island without fresh water, burning some wood sounds like a good trade off.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Nice to see how it worked.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote