Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 30, 2018   #46
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Thank you
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018   #47
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have never understood the rules or even what was going on.
Don't worry I dont get into this sort of thing anyway.
Mostly out of my inability to be organized.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #48
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The seeds of the early determinant tomato varieties I needed I got from RJGlew. I will send the seeds I promised. I'm probably just a sponsor, because I have never found any offer of varieties, from which I could choose ( for some exceptions eg Nan Pa 6b)
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; October 1, 2018 at 01:37 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #49
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

MrBig46 - try the "spoiler" thread, where folks post what they're sending in. It might give you ideas.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #50
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

I'll be sending you every variety of early determinate tomatoes that I either have in my collection or what comes into the swap, unless there is a single pack of just a few seeds that was requested on another participant's wish list.

(think - heart varieties from the swap a few years ago)
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #51
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

And, to all participants...it's your swap, I'm just the host. So, don't worry about the rules. Participate in any way (within reason) that you'd like. If you have a specific question, just ask.
Old October 1, 2018   #52
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

My children are more interested in "theme" gardens and colorful varieties than specific varieties. Does anyone know of a specific website that I can find the specific variety names at? The theme gardens they want to grow next year are: Astronomy names garden, Royalty names garden, Fairy Tales names garden, Italian garden, Victory garden, animal names, garden. They, of course, also enjoy the colorful fruits and vegetables if y'all could point me in the direction I'd appreciate it. Just emerging from a fog of grief from a loved one's passing away....
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #53
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for your loss, upcountrygirl; I hope your fond memories bring you comfort.

Tatiana's TomatoBase will give you a list of Italians, or all tomatoes alphabetically, if you want. Click on Popular Shortcuts (I think it's called).

Astronomy: Dark Galaxy

Royalty: African Queen, Anastasia

Fairy Tales: Snow White,

Victory garden: Victory, Granny Cantrell (first seeds from a returning WW2 soldier), Marianna's Peace (brought to USA during WW2), West Virginia Straw (came from Germany during WW1), Earliana, Marglobe, Rutgers (Suggested back in the day for Victory gardens),

Animal names: Green/Red/Big/Black Zebra, Purple Dog Creek, Black Elephant

Etc.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2018   #54
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to HudsonValley. This thread spoiler MMMM I somehow overlooked. I really can find interesting tomatoes there. I downloaded all the offers to my PC and I will choose.
Gary, I do not need the seeds of the determinant tomato varieties now. I got enough from Robert. I will choose from the offers in the spoiler and send my wish together with the seeds.
Vladimír
PS.: I'm really lucky to have from Gary in the swap got many great varieties of hearts (35 varieties). I still have not found a better one and I still grow them (Orange Russian 117, Mayo's delight, Kukla's Portuguese heart, Alice, ......).
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2018   #55
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Thanks to HudsonValley. This thread spoiler MMMM I somehow overlooked. I really can find interesting tomatoes there. I downloaded all the offers to my PC and I will choose.
Gary, I do not need the seeds of the determinant tomato varieties now. I got enough from Robert. I will choose from the offers in the spoiler and send my wish together with the seeds.
Vladimír
PS.: I'm really lucky to have from Gary in the swap got many great varieties of hearts (35 varieties). I still have not found a better one and I still grow them (Orange Russian 117, Mayo's delight, Kukla's Portuguese heart, Alice, ......).
Vladimir, remember that you are talking to a heart lover here, I've grown several hundreds of them and many offered in seed offers in the past.

Orange Russian? Superb
Mayo's Delight, OK but not great for me
Kukla's Portuguese Heart? Beyond superb and the other Kukla ones as well,like the beefsteak one, etc.

Did you mean Alice's Egypt? Also an excellent one.

Do I have others I love? Sure I do, but this is not a heart thread,of which there are many at Tville.LOL

Carolyn
Old October 4, 2018   #56
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just mailed a 8.5 x 11" Bubble mailer stuffed with 9.70 Oz. tomato seed bags for $4.45. Some ask about mailing cost, so I'm sharing. Tormato, the receipt says you'll be getting the mailer on Tuesday the 9th.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2018   #57
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, is there going to be an F1 buy? Like Sungolds, Big Beefs, etc. that we can buy from the swap?
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018   #58
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

I can send in some individual varieties and bonus packs and I have some legumes for the seed pantry.

But would anyone be willing to sponsor me for some categories?

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018   #59
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I have lots of seeds, but likely not all categories. So, let us know which ones.
Old October 10, 2018   #60
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Tormato, is there going to be an F1 buy? Like Sungolds, Big Beefs, etc. that we can buy from the swap?
Nan

No new F1's, just the same 7 varieties from last year. I'll try to get a count of the number of packs by Friday.

Also, there isn't much action here, or on the wish list doc. We need participants, unless almost everyone is waiting until the last moment. So, I'll be posting at Gardenweb, in several forums, in a few days. And, if any of you belong to gardening groups (like on Facebook, etc...), it's OK by me to point them here.

I don't worry about "rules" with newbies. It's more of a "pay it forward" type of swap for them, where they can more fully participate the second year.