Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 4, 2013   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default broccoli way too early heading

This seems to occur sometimes in the fall or in the spring and it is really aggravating. I planted out young fast growing broccoli and cabbage seedlings for spring and the broccoli started heading when it was only about 9 inches tall. I have had this happen in the fall when the heat doesn't let up like it should and I have had it happen in the spring when using plants that were too old or when summer heat arrived early. We have had what would seem a perfect spring for broccoli and yet this year it just headed up for no apparent reason. I talked to another couple of gardeners around here and they had the same thing happen and they were at a loss to explain it. I had a fantastic fall and winter broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower crop. I'm having an even better year than ever with Brussels sprouts and the spring cabbage is doing great. We have had cool spring weather much later than is usual and that usually delays heading. After cutting the main head and a few puny side shoots I just pulled it way early and put in some tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Have you seen hard freezes on those transplants? I just set ouy 50 brocolli last weekend and I have now had three nights in a row below 24 degrees. I think we're past that now but they are sure showing some stress. They have me worried as I don't have any extras...

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Mine weren't damaged by a hard freeze but it did get down below freezing for several nights in a row; but that was after they had started prematurely heading.

Sounds like it got pretty cold where you are so you may have some damage but if the plants haven't started heading and they survive they should be fine. If you get a hard freeze once heads are forming you can get ice crystals formed in parts of the head and then a couple of weeks later you get rot in the head. I've had that happen a few times in the past with broccoli and cauliflower so if it is going to get below 28 for more than a few hours I try to cover them.
Old April 5, 2013   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I don't know Red, but that always happens to me when I plant brocolli in the spring here. If I put it in in October/november it does fine.
I'm thinking that its the alternating warm then cold of north Florida early spring? But not really sure.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Mine weren't damaged by a hard freeze but it did get down below freezing for several nights in a row; but that was after they had started prematurely heading.

Sounds like it got pretty cold where you are so you may have some damage but if the plants haven't started heading and they survive they should be fine. If you get a hard freeze once heads are forming you can get ice crystals formed in parts of the head and then a couple of weeks later you get rot in the head. I've had that happen a few times in the past with broccoli and cauliflower so if it is going to get below 28 for more than a few hours I try to cover them.
Thanks for the insights... We had a warmer night with rain and a good day today. The outer leaves have been hard hit but the centers already are looking happier. I think they should be fine as we have a just about perfect forecast for the next week.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old April 6, 2013   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

what variety of broccoli? i've grown 4 or 5 varieties and only packman was a problem and i'll never ever grow it ever never again but that's me.

a cold snap can induce premature heading. i put my broccoli out 15 days before the last frost date. in your area i wouldn't try to guess but you do the math. for me i start broccoli tomorrow and put them out on 5/15, last frost date for me is memorial day weekend.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had four different types and they all headed way too early. I see this fairly often down here when we have far too much heat for too long when the plants are small; but the weather has been what seems perfect for broccoli this spring. All my other cool weather crops have been outstanding from lettuce and cabbage to Brussels sprouts. We have had a lot of temperature variations that had a wide range in a short time so I will just assume that has caused this early heading because nothing else makes sense.

Bill
Old April 7, 2013   #8
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

bill i know ct is like another world compared to where you are re weather but i have huge healthy broccoli plants in mid july to mid aug when the temps often are in the low 90's and even upper 90's for some days. water. that's the trick. i wouldn't think broccoli would grow in such heat but watering them keeps them producing lots of side shoots and some are quite large. now the main head is cut before mid july and it's warm but not wicked hot. try calabrese green sprouting, this variety is op and performs every year and is my mainstay. i have tried 1 or 2 others but i always go back to cgs.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old April 8, 2013   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tom you are certainly right about different worlds; I can't imagine broccoli growing here in July. If you could keep it alive that long the stems would rot where the main head was cut off which usually happens to spring broccoli near the end of production which ruins the taste of the side shoots. Two years ago it was in the 90s in March with 100s in May. Our springs if we have them are very volatile. Two nights ago it was 37 degrees and the next day it got to 85.

I usually have broccoli well into May when 90s are the usual. The problem with heat is if the plants are very small when the heat gets up there then it will force a main head way too early. Once the plant gets large then the only problem with heat is keeping them watered and they just don't taste quite as good during hot weather. I much prefer the taste of broccoli that heads late in the fall or winter. I get the early heading much more often in the fall because the cool weather I'm expecting frequently doesn't materialize in time and the young seedlings will try to head when they are only 8 inches or so tall. I had a small air conditioner put in my greenhouse last year and it helped me greatly with my fall plants. I can now keep them cool until the weather moderates in the fall. This has really been helpful with Brussels sprouts which do not like the heat. Now I just keep them fertilized and growing in the greenhouse until the weather cooperates.

Bill
Old April 8, 2013   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i agree broccoli tastes better in the fall after some frosts as it sweetens the shoots.

i found that if you cut the main head early, don't let it get real large because that creates a large stalk and invariably it will be hollow. when you cut it the hollow stalk fills with water when it rains and then starts to rot but the plant still produces good side shoots tho the rotting part stinks. so i try to cut high up under the head and a little early. i also cut at a 45 degree angle.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old April 23, 2013   #11
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I had four different types and they all headed way too early. I see this fairly often down here when we have far too much heat for too long when the plants are small; but the weather has been what seems perfect for broccoli this spring. All my other cool weather crops have been outstanding from lettuce and cabbage to Brussels sprouts. We have had a lot of temperature variations that had a wide range in a short time so I will just assume that has caused this early heading because nothing else makes sense.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Did you grow your own transplants or buy them? (On re-read I am sure you grew your own...) I set out forty that I raised and picked up one cell pack of packman from Lowes to try and get my DW some early heads. All plants went in April 6th to 8th. Well guess what... 10 packman plants about 11 inches tall are trying to form heads...
The ones I raised look OK.... for now...

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Last edited by RebelRidin; April 24, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old April 23, 2013   #12
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Mine did the same thing. It was Pac Man. Never had this problem before. The Premium Crop looks fine right now. I agree that fall broc. does much better
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

The trick with pack man is to start your own and plant in the ground very early, first set of real leaves, when the weather is still cold. Then throw a clear blanket or plastic over it if you get a really hard freeze. It can take a few light frosts once it is fully hardened. This will cause it to head both early, but also at a size to make nice heads.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #14
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
The trick with pack man is to start your own and plant in the ground very early, first set of real leaves, when the weather is still cold. Then throw a clear blanket or plastic over it if you get a really hard freeze. It can take a few light frosts once it is fully hardened. This will cause it to head both early, but also at a size to make nice heads.
I've grown packman any number of times from Lowes. This is first problem I have had...

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old April 24, 2013   #15
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i hate packman and will never ever grow it again. worst performing broccoli i ever grew.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon