Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 2, 2015   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBCIII View Post
Am I correct? I come from working construction. You buy your tool one time if at all possible. I would guess this is the same in Gardening? Beale.
I would agree, some of my tools are over 30 years old and will out last me.

I was at Sears a few years ago looking at hoes I wanted to buy one for a friend.
They had a craftsman hoe there and stamped in huge letters on the face of the hoe was China, I was so turned off by this I walked out.
Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #32
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

I would have also!! Beale!
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #33
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
I liked my gas Mantis, but a few years ago it stopped running. I suspect deposits clogged the carb, but I just haven't had a chance to get a replacement on it. It is small enough to do a great job in my raised beds. I haven't tried their electric unit, but if I had power at my garden I would be really tempted!
My mantis started acting up last year. Would not idle and ran really rough so I was thinking of replacing the carb. I bought a bottle of "Mechanic in a Bottle" at Home Depot and ran some through the Mantis for around 15 min. Been running great now. The bottle has instructions for trying it with something that does not run at all. Fixed my generator to; it would not run without the choke.
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #34
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I would agree, some of my tools are over 30 years old and will out last me.

I was at Sears a few years ago looking at hoes I wanted to buy one for a friend.
They had a craftsman hoe there and stamped in huge letters on the face of the hoe was China, I was so turned off by this I walked out.
Worth

I scour second hand stores and yard sales for older tools. I've been doing this for a good decade now and have amassed a solid collection of tools and gardening implements that were made in the U.S.A.

It disgusts me that it's difficult to find anything made in this country.

With that being said I did purchase an Estwing hammer last summer. Beautifully crafted in this country.
Old March 3, 2015   #35
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbenjones View Post
My mantis started acting up last year. Would not idle and ran really rough so I was thinking of replacing the carb. I bought a bottle of "Mechanic in a Bottle" at Home Depot and ran some through the Mantis for around 15 min. Been running great now. The bottle has instructions for trying it with something that does not run at all. Fixed my generator to; it would not run without the choke.
Thanks for that tip, @frankbenjones - I'll check it out!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #36
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbenjones View Post
ANOTHER GREAT PRODUCT FOR THE SAME PROBLEM IS SEAFOAM.

JON
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #37
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Rogue Hoes are USA Made. Very High Price. I looked at them and Have found one I like for under $40.00 Free shipping. Any comment on their quality? Beale.
Old March 3, 2015   #38
rockyonekc
Tomatovillian™

I own a couple of Rogue hoes and it is probably the best tool I own. They are made from agricultural discs with nice ash handles. They hold a very sharp edge for a long time and the handles hold up to a beating. I am part of a group of volunteer trail builders here in KC and we use them almost exclusively to build natural surface singletrack trails. We easily have a 100 tools among our group and people have nothing but good things to say. I can't recommend them enough.
rockyonekc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #39
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Thank You! That may be the way I go For sure, Beale.
Old March 3, 2015   #40
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Rogue hoes are definitely high quality. You pay for that quality, but it is a fair price. I don't mind paying for quality. Of course I also sometimes buy whatever is cheap. What I don't like is paying more for a product just because it is "made in USA" when actually there is no quality advantage. In the case of Rogue hoes, you actually get that extra quality above and beyond the high price. It actually is a bargain.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #41
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Rogue hoes are definitely high quality. You pay for that quality, but it is a fair price. I don't mind paying for quality. Of course I also sometimes buy whatever is cheap. What I don't like is paying more for a product just because it is "made in USA" when actually there is no quality advantage. In the case of Rogue hoes, you actually get that extra quality above and beyond the high price. It actually is a bargain.
Thank you also! I am for sure going to order one! Beale.
Old March 3, 2015   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I could make these Rogue type hoes all day long.
Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #43
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
ANOTHER GREAT PRODUCT FOR THE SAME PROBLEM IS SEAFOAM.

JON
A lot of folks have had success with sea foam. My chipper shredder has carb issues maybe a clogged jet. Runs great on full choke only, I am going to try the sea foam before I go any further. It's a Briggs and Stratton

Back to small tillers. My situation was the same as PA Julia started with the small Honda great machine started expanding and purchased a rear tine tiller.
Old March 15, 2015   #44
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Hey y'all want to check out a high $$ hoe? Look at this one.

http://www.redpigtools.com/Hazel-Hoe_p_1254.html
Old March 18, 2015   #45
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I had my first Mantis for 20 years and passed to my father-in-law. It still runs great, I just wanted a new one, and I bought the same thing again. They also honored the lifetime tine warranted as well when mine finally broke after 15 years. That little tiller is a beast and worth every penny.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote