Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 2, 2013   #1
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default Two new greenhouse designs

This one uses cattle panels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKlXs8iov0

This arch design looks easy enough and he says it was built for Florida and stands up to 130 mph winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70tc4...ature=youtu.be

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #2
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

DH and I did something similar to the first one about 15 years ago. We used 3 panels and used short re-bar pieces to hold it to the ground. We used welded wire fencing to make the ends, covered it all with a layer of plastic sheeting, added 1 x 2 wooden strips the length of the hoop, spaced about 2' apart and covered it with another layer of plastic. It was 6' high in the center. DH made a wood-frame, plastic covered door on one end and a small hinged flap on the other for ventilation. We spread some gravel for the floor. It was a little more rustic than the one in the video. We didn't think it would last the season but it lasted two, then a bear shredded the plastic trying to get to some food we were storing in there for feral cats. It was before we had a computer and digital camera so I have no pics.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #3
george sr
Tomatovillian™

Default TexasPrepper2 designed greenhouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDm4qs30Xh0

Larry Hall used my photos from my Facebook page to create this video
Built this with PDF file from Texasprepper2
I added the rollup sides feature.
george sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HKERY 5 November 2010 Greenhouse on Deck.

I decided to build a large greenhouse on the deck, which doesn't get much use. The enclosure will be a sun room if appropriate, instead of the canvas structure that use to be there. I have a small 10,000 BTU heater that connects to the barbecue natural gas outlet, so will have some warmth, and will get some use during the Winter months. It took nine days to build by myself, about 72 hours of labor, from 28 of October to 5 November, and cost $1798.63.

Description of the construction. Six, 6 by 6 pillars support the structure. The auxiliary supports are all 2 by 6 spruce planks. Two doors were installed plus a window to ensure reasonably good ventilation. I got the doors free of charge. The slope of the roof is from 8 feet to 7 feet, with a pitch of 1 in 12. Sun is available for about two third of the structure all day. Wood was used to cover the walls where no Sun penetrates. Corrugated SUNTUF UV protected panels was used. It is relatively low cost compared to other coverings, and is almost indestructible. Pictures depict highlights of the method used. Plans were in my head.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Both of those are nice but teh arch would require a good bit of skills and tools. That cattle panel setup looks pretty sweet. The only part of that which would intimidate folks is joining the panels together. I wonder if good results could be had with some kind of a crimp around clip similar to what is uses for making braided cable loops.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Last edited by RebelRidin; April 25, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #6
george sr
Tomatovillian™

I saw where another fellow used hog rings. I have a welder, so it was easy to just weld the two panels together
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...0?cm_vc=-10005
George Sr
Old April 25, 2013   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

With the cattle gate design, I would want to go over it with something like a sanding disc for a cutoff tool, something to smooth out any sharp metal edge that might stress the plastic. Duct tape works, but it doesn't last in the sun.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #8
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

If you're looking for a design tool might I suggest Google's free SketchUp located at http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/download/ . It's a great 3-D modeling program.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013   #9
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

We built a cattle panel hoop house five years ago, held it together with commercial zip ties which are still there. We covered with greenhouse plastic 6 MIL and then a year later covered that with a solar swimming pool cover 12 mil. We are able to use the hoop house from march to November but we do have quilts that we hook to the cattle panel frame with drapery hooks when it gets cold and put a small electric heater inside.
It has withstood measured 105 mph winds, 18 inches of snow, and still looks pretty good. This year we have taken off the old coverings and we are we redoing with the same type material. Total cost this year for the 24 foot long hoop house was $135. That works out pretty cheap.Because I am in an electric wheelchair we had to put the grow beds on the outside and the walkway is 33 inches wide. It is of course, 8 feet wide and 6 feet high as dictated by the cattle panels size. We also have made shades screens that we can put over the top as our high temperatures in the summer can be up to 107°. Since we are at an altitude of 5500 feet the sun is very intense.
We just priced cattle panels for a friend and they are costing $40.00 apiece. Even so that makes the cost of the 24 foot long hoophouse under $500 which is not very much. That includes the lumber, rebar, shade screen, everything except the beds. I have more pictures if anyone has any questions.
Joan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greenhouse May 2010.jpg (585.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg March greenhouse 108.jpg (497.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Hoophouse Dwarf tomatoes.jpg (539.8 KB, 122 views)
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013   #10
george sr
Tomatovillian™

Looks really nice
Old May 7, 2013   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Impressive, Joan!
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote