Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old October 2, 2013   #1
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Default Small greenhouses for sale on Woot

If anyone's interested, there's some smallish softsided greenhouses and shelters on sale at woot, including ones for kids - not bad prices IMO. Cheap enough to put up and take down early in the season. May not survive in the more northern climes tho....

http://tools.woot.com/offers/walk-in...elf-greenhouse

is an example. It says it's only 27 pounds in all. Might need weighiing down with plants!

I'm not affiliated with Woot other than a customer.

Regards.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #2
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a good deal. Thanks for sharing the link. Just wish I was ready to get one of these...

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Be sure to check the seams to see if you think it will hold together in a strong wind. I got a similar little greenhouse a few years ago for my overflow tomato seedlings. It worked fine, but had flimsy lightweight seam tape with just a single row of stitching. It started pulling apart at the seams during very windy days. Another problem was cross ventilation. It does get very hot in the sun, and only has the door on one side. I rolled up the bottom on all sides as far as I could, and held them up with clothespins to get more air movement. I did consider cutting out a flap on the end opposite the door, but thought that might weaken that side. I got a couple of springs use out of it before it had to be retired. If you have a sheltered spot that doesn't get much wind, you might do better.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #4
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for commenting on these, I guess I'll find out how well it works here in the DFW area....

And now I'm gonna sound like a shill for Woot, because I just saw all these grow light supplies. I am not going to get these but if it helps someone, that's great. No idea on the pricing here though, buyer beware. I don't grow inside because I don't like using all that power. BUt I live far enough south I get more grow time than some here.

http://tools.woot.com/plus/ipower-grow-lights-2#

Sorry if I sound commercial, I usually don't post much like this in the past.

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2013   #5
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I bought this,on sale, at my Big Lots earlier this year. I thought I'd try it out. First, I put it together and used an adhesive to make it more sturdy. Second, you need to stake it down because the wind will move it around...
I did this, knowing it probably won't last more than a year, maybe two if I baby it. They are cheaply made. The connecting joints are made out of plastic. They won't last long. But, I don't have a greenhouse to start my seeds and thought, what the heck?'. So far, it's still standing....I may just keep all the metal parts when the plastic gives up and weld it all together and then sew my own plastic cover. Or I may pitch it all and make a greenhouse out of cow panels...

Or I could just move into my garage, during the winter, to protect plants and starts seeds in there!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote