Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old November 2, 2012   #1
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Default Straw Bale Cold Frame zone 6b?

I've been trying to set up a small greenhouse for several years, I have limited success. A friend who works for the city brought me the bales of straw used for the Halloween celebration. Since the latest windstorm destroyed my latest attempt, I decided to cover the straw with the remains of the plastic cover.

My question: Assuming the usual winter weather,
  1. Occasional snowfall lasting days at most.
  2. Nights falling below freezing with extremes around 0°F.
  3. 4 weeks or more of days below freezing.
what does anyone think my chances of overwintering tomato cuttings and other delicate perennials?

Just a model, still trying to see what I can do. Screen doors were my first idea.

This should give everyone a better idea what the structure is like.

This small structure has around 80 gallons of water to help sink the heat.

No surprise, I pull the plastic back, and here is Mischief. I often open closet doors 12 hours after opening them to find her staring at me satisfied at her joke. I don't know how she got in here either.
CapnChkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2012   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

If you build it, cats will come....
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2012   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

LoL @ the cat!

So for your question.......maybe. I think you'll be alright on your temps. Not sure though how you'll keep mice and other critters out of the structure. Maybe the cat will help you out there!

I think I might stack the straw one bale high in the front and 2 bales high in the back so it's lower to the ground and will keep your heat closer to the plants. Put your short side facing south and your taller side facing north. And I'd go 2 bales thickness instead of one on the north side stacking your bales 2 thick on row 1 and then turning the bales on row 2 the opposite way. Might put a couple of black buckets full of water in there too to help heat it at night.

I am horrible at explaining things but I have it pictured in my head just right
Old November 2, 2012   #4
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Actually Barbee, I think I can visualize what you're getting at. I think what you mean is the bales in front laying wide side down, the bales on the second tier laying thin side down. Low side is facing the Southwest. The bales are actually pretty rotten, wet, and in some growing grass. I don't expect this to last long enough to get rodentia.

The cuttings and plants close to the front are somewhat in the shade, but so far are still getting light. Right now I just want them to stay alive, go dormant when it gets chilly, and be ready to plant when it warms.

One possibility is to replace the bales in front with the old glass out in the barn! Barrel stays though, it has my goldfish in it.
Old November 2, 2012   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Yep that's what I meant. That's how we stack it in the barn and it makes it less apt to lean or fall over. It can be leaning pretty good and not fall over if stacked this way LoL

Will you use the straw as mulch next spring?
Old November 3, 2012   #6
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Nope! I raise worms for the poop. I will probably turn all that into compost, the reason my friend thought of me in the first place. I will then feed the compost to the worms after it goes beyond the "hot" stage.

I went out today and revised the structure a little. Dug out more glass from the barn and stacked the stuff up. It's actually starting to look like a cold frame! I don't see any problems with the glass being perched the way it is, but I think I'm going to need to extend the plastic down where I can weigh it on the ground.

Extended the glass down the front and rearranged the bales to give me more inside room.

I also perched glass on the top to make a sort of ceiling, This is vital, past experience has shown me that rain will run off until you aren't looking. In that case, the score Rain 5, Greenhouse 0.

The glass is held upright by old electric fencposts driven in the ground just under the height of the glass.

The rest of the structure is simply old half rotten bales of hay stacked up. Here's hoping for enough heat!
Old November 3, 2012   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

It looks really good!
I'd love to raise worms someday. 2 or 3 years ago I bought some worm poop (1 1/2 Tons) and the guy's set up was amazing.
Old November 3, 2012   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Are those windows secured at all? If they are just laying there, eventually a strong wind will pick them up and turn them into flying glass bombs.

You can use nylon straps or rope with ground anchors, or make a wooden frame onto which you can screw down the windows.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2012   #9
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

I always wonder how much I would charge for a ton. I sell it at .50/liter. That is around, depending on the moisture, 1lb, 1oz, and some change. Everyone tells me I should charge more, but I think that's the right price.

Cole_Robbie, the glass is simply perched on some scrap 1x4's. I'm still in the R&D stage with these models, and should this do a good or better job than the tunnel I built last year (You can see the skeleton in the background in the second photo below), I would prefer to make a bale structure and develop a passive heating system.

I'm not worried about wind pulling the glass off, because it's covered with 4 mil plastic film. The glass is there to keep rain from puddling in the plastic and ruining my work. I've learned that lesson the hard way, having a greenhouse I kludged from plastic and bamboo. I went to work, came home to find everything crushed after the rain collected in between the "rafters."

The plastic is held down by all the weight I can put on it. You're right about the wind, I have had to place the cap on the grain bin you can see in the background of these photos after one gust pulled it off, somehow.

The other side. The trees in the pots are my Apple grafts, on the far right, the rootstocks.
Old November 27, 2012   #10
PATRIX
Tomatovillian™

Hello CapnChKn

If you can get horse manure, I have a solution for you

See my post "warm layer"

Patrix ;-)
PATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2012   #11
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Hey Patrix!

So far this winter has been really warm. Our outside temps at 9 this morning are 66°F (19
°C). Still we have months to go, and this is uncommon here in TN. Funny thing, when I talk with my friends in Florida everyone thought it was snowing in October. The temperatures should drop below freezing in the last part of the year.

I don't have ready access to large quantities of manure, but I do have lots of organic material that needs to be composted. My only problem is getting enough nitrogenous matter to bring the temperatures up.

Since I'm trying to keep the plants from freezing, instead of trying to get fruit. I'm actually trying to keep the plants warm enough they don't freeze, and cool enough they don't grow. When the temperatures warm up, I'll set them in beds.

I've cobbled together another piece on the structure, still experimental models. I dug a door out of the woods here and set it as the back wall. It looks like a hovel in a refugee camp, but right now...

I've gathered all the green material I can to get the temperature up in the compost heap I've built on the back wall to give it a "hot spot." Right now I checked to find the temp in the pile at 150°F (66
°C). If it gets down to the "block of ice in the water dish" stage, I may put a fan in there to push the warm air forward.

Old December 4, 2012   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Some people may look at that and see redneck engineering. I look at that and see the genius who built something beautiful and functional with what they had available!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #13
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Well, Thank you Redbaron! I appreciate the sentiment!

We'll have to see whether I'm a genius or not though (I'm not). I can't say how many times I've ignored something that should be obvious.
Old December 6, 2012   #14
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

When I was a kid this would have been called "making do". Now we know how using what we have is brilliant. I think it's awesome !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #15
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Some people may look at that and see redneck engineering. I look at that and see the genius who built something beautiful and functional with what they had available!
Amen to that, RedBaron. Nothing like a good Jury-Rig.

Hotwired
An Engineer with a Garden is a Dangerous Thing
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote