Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 12, 2010   #31
whistler
Tomatovillian™

You CAN use a regular pressure cooker on a ceramic stove (I do, anyway). However, you MUST watch the heat setting you use. Start at medium heat or lower - just use enough to get the thing shooshing, and then turn it down some. Use too much heat, you get an exploded pot and burns all over your back like my aunt did. NOT good.

And as always, make sure your lid is in good working order. No cracks in the handle area, etc. I just had to buy a new pressure cooker because somehow my handle cracked near the shoosher, and it spit instead of shooshed. This happened before I bought the new stove - it had been several months since I used it, an I was not happy to have the stuffed cabbage in the pot and cooking only to find that I had to turn it off, call my sister and borrow hers. That delayed the yummy stuffed cabbage by at least 2 hours!!

By the way, did you know that there are 3 types of stuffed cabbage?
Really Good, Really Bad, and On the Ceiling!
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010   #32
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Canned Chicken Thighs

I canned some chicken thighs and it looks pretty good in the jars. Will try it soon in a recipe and post how it tasted. It was simple. I baked the thighs [bone-in] until partly cooked, then hot packed them into the jars to one inch of top, added chicken stock to one inch from top, lidded the jars, then processed for 75 minutes. Simple.

Next, I'll do hot pack boneless in pint jars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canned chicken 3-24-10.jpg (104.5 KB, 19 views)
Old March 29, 2010   #33
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Earl, that's 75 mins in a pressure cooker?
Old April 2, 2010   #34
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Barb, 75 mintues. Check out this website. Good info.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html
Old April 9, 2010   #35
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I did some black eyed peas in my Fagor pc last night pretty much mirroring the northwestern bean recipe. Except that I cut up 4 pieces of bacon and fried that first, threw in some chopped onion and garlic and cooked for 30 minutes letting the pressure release on its own. I did add a little more water as I wanted them to be a little soupy. Added salt to taste once they were done and they turned out very good.
Old April 9, 2010   #36
RiverRat
Tomatovillian™

I cooked one of my stewing chickens in the pressure cooker when I was making chicken soup. The soup was great but the chicken was still tough. This was a chicken I had frozen immediately after butchering, and I hadn't dry-brined it either, so that may be why it was still chewy, but I was afraid to cook it for too long because I'd heard that that can also make meats tough. I let it all cook on high for 45 minutes. Maybe next time I'll try a full hour, though.
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2010   #37
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I let my turkeys sit in the refrigerator about 3 days after butchering before cooking (or freezing), to let the rigor mortis ease up. I would probably do the same for a chicken. That might be one reason it was tough.
Old April 10, 2010   #38
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,
I finally understand why you asked the 75 minute question. :-) I should have cooked the qts 90 minutes, but the pressure stayed above 10 the entire cook time so I'm taking the chance that the job was done. Besides, the jars were not filled very tightly. Thanks for asking the question. I'll pay better attention next time to the directions.