Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old October 25, 2012   #61
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Misc Meat Recipes

Ok Folks.......I got this the other day in a recipe newsletter to which I subscribe. I thought they were kidding at first, but it definitely reads like a serious recipe. For those that have too many tree rats, maybe this is the solution. LOL

For those a tad less squeamish, perhaps substituting rabbit or wild fowl might your answer.

Not sure yet whether I'll try it as is myself. But I definitely have a plentiful population that could do with some culling around here. LOL

Zana

Belgian Squirrel

3 large squirrels, skinned and gutted
1/2 cup butter
2 onions, sliced
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
18 pitted prunes
1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 cup cold water

Directions
• Clean squirrels, making sure that all shot is removed.
• Burn away with a candle any fur that clings.
• Rinse the meat though several changes of water and pat dry.
• Cut squirrels into serving pieces.

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

• Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
• Add squirrel pieces and fry until browned on all sides, but do not cook through.
• Remove the squirrel pieces to a large Dutch oven or oven safe crock.
• Add onions to the butter in the skillet; cook and stir until tender and browned.
• Pour the onions and butter into the pot with the squirrel.
• Fill with enough water to almost cover the meat.
• Mix in the vinegar and season with thyme, salt and pepper.
• Cover and place in the oven.
• Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven.

• Remove the pot from the oven and add the prunes.
• Return to the oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Continue baking for another 45 minutes.
• Remove the pot from the oven.
• Mix the flour and cold water together in a cup.
• Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and prunes to a serving dish.

• Set the pot on the stove and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
• Stir in the flour and water and simmer, stirring constantly, until the gravy is thick enough to coat a metal spoon.
• Serve meat with a lot of gravy.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #62
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

We ate squirrel as children. I don't see why you think it is so strange. Dad even had a squirrel dog. (not a breed, but a rare trait in hounds that makes them both sight and scent hunters) He was offered 800 dollars in the 1960's for that dog named Bobo. He wasn't even a pure bred, but he was the best squirrel dog anyone had ever seen.

Personally I don't eat squirrel now. Haven't for years. But there is nothing fundamentally wrong with eating squirrel. Just because squirrel is a rodent? So what? Rabbits are rodents too!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #63
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

haha! yuck.
I'm not a big fan of any rodent meat including rabbit but I think the most objectionable aspect of this recipe is the PRUNES ! holy moly (and I am Belgian by heritage) thanks for the chuckle.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #64
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I've run into a few folks who ate squirrel as kids. Don't know anyone who eats it now. Raised and ate rabbit for a few yrs and it is DELICIOUS!! I'm not a big fan of prunes either but in this recipe, with the vinegar, I wonder if it comes out kind of sweet n sour. Might be good...
Old October 25, 2012   #65
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
We ate squirrel as children. I don't see why you think it is so strange. Dad even had a squirrel dog. (not a breed, but a rare trait in hounds that makes them both sight and scent hunters) He was offered 800 dollars in the 1960's for that dog named Bobo. He wasn't even a pure bred, but he was the best squirrel dog anyone had ever seen.

Personally I don't eat squirrel now. Haven't for years. But there is nothing fundamentally wrong with eating squirrel. Just because squirrel is a rodent? So what? Rabbits are rodents too!
The only reason I have a problem with eating wild squirrels around here is that they've been tested positive for a number of viruses. The reason I mentioned rabbit is I can get them "farmed"....or from a friend who traps all sorts of "rodents" up north, where there is less issues of viruses (or so I'm told).

I don't think its strange to eat rodents, many people do. I've had squirrel before, along with allot of stuff that many people would consider verrrrrrrry strange.

I posted the recipe because I found it amusing...and also I had a hard time with the combo of ingredients. But hey....that's just me.
Old October 25, 2012   #66
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
I've run into a few folks who ate squirrel as kids. Don't know anyone who eats it now. Raised and ate rabbit for a few yrs and it is DELICIOUS!! I'm not a big fan of prunes either but in this recipe, with the vinegar, I wonder if it comes out kind of sweet n sour. Might be good...
Yes you do ((((((ME))))))) I dont kill the ones in the yard but I have no problem eating the things if killed in the wild or if they become over populated here.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #67
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I have eaten squirrel and I would again!
Viruses - Not really a big deal. Destroyed with proper cooking and generally not translatable to humans. Probably more viruses and foul stuff going on at the beef and chicken processing plants.
Reminded me of this article from a few months back.
This guy eats New York City squirrels! Oh and he includes a recipe for Lemon-Thyme Squirrel.
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...chm8IXYWXuRI/0

Wanted to "take out" my backyard squirrels lately as they have been eating the Jack o' Lanterns!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #68
jack03111969
Tomatovillian™

i had Squirrel and dumplings for dinner the other night..... not much in the south we don't eat...............
jack03111969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #69
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

My great uncle says that when he was 10, his daddy would give him the rifle and 10 shells, and tell him to come home with 9 squirrels shot through the head. He was allowed one miss, and was never allowed to shoot through the meat. I guess he became a good shot!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2012   #70
O.P. Mater
Tomatovillian™

I will probably cook a pot of squirrel and dumplings in a few days.......they are sure to be tasty as they have been feasting on our pecans.

The trick is waiting until the first freeze to shoot them, clean them well, and refrigerate them in a weak brine overnight. Simmering slowly for a long time is important to tenderize them before adding the dumplings. I like the recipe, Zana, and think I will modify it a little and use it for the squirrel & dumplings :-)

10 must be the age to send the kids out squirrel hunting, Scott. That's when I was given 3 bullets and a 22 rifle and told 'one bullet, one squirrel'. I guess it encourages patience to sit still watching a hickory tree and waiting for them to come. :-)
O.P. Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2012   #71
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I may just have to call up one of my old target shooting team mates...and borrow a bow and sleeve. I might need a bit of practice, and will have to lock up the dog...but think I could bag some....and not have to worry about firing weopons in the city. I just need somebody else to skin 'em....or at least kill it, so I can....'cause the arrows don't always kill right off. I used to be able to go and bag quite a few birds cleanly....but had a problem with killing them if the arrow didn't. But at least there was no bit of shot in the meat. Like the comment of 10 bullets 9 squirrels....similar idea....I learned quickly that tracking or retrieving arrows that missed was a pain in the arse.

Let me know how the recipe turns out O.P. Mater.

Zana
Old November 3, 2012   #72
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I like the recipe, but Belgium is to far to go for a squirrel
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2012   #73
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Dustdevil,

If you think Belgium is too far to go for a squirrel, you're more than welcome to come cull some of ours. LOL

Zana
Old November 7, 2012   #74
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

I love that show too, its a hoot. The camper in the tree ? Someone had to rewrite the "Redneck" handbook over that one as it raised the bar !
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2012   #75
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Default Pizza Burgers

This doesn't qualify as a meat or sausage recipe, but I make up large batches and freeze them. I make my own pizza sauce and my own hot sausage. My kids love these things. I'm getting hungry thinking about this.

PIZZA BURGERS RECIPE (Makes 7-8 Large 12 oz. Burgers)

2 - Pounds Ground Beef = 85%+ Lean
1 - Small Onion
1 - Green Pepper
1 – firm Tomato
1 – 8-10 oz. can Mushroom (stems & pieces)
1 – 8-10 oz. can black olives
1 – 16 oz. can of Pizza sauce
1 – 16 oz. can Parmasean/Romano Grated Cheese (or More)
½ - cup Diced Pepperoni
2 – links (12”) hot sausage (pre-cooked & diced)

Dice Finely – onion, peppers, mushrooms, black olives (approx. 1-1/2 cups)
Mix into Ground Beef thoroughly
Pre-Cook hot sausage, cool, & dice into ¼” chunks
Dice Pepperoni into ¼” chunks or smaller
Add diced pepperoni & sausage & mix thoroughly

Mix in Pizza sauce & add grated cheese until mixture thickens
Dice Tomato and knead gently into the mixture.

Patty the mixture into large patties, approx. 12 oz. each. If the mixture does not form a good patty, add more grated cheese and knead until desired consistency.

Grill the patties & after cooked through the center, melt mozzarella cheese over the patties, & serve on a toasted roll.

Add pizza sauce instead of ketchup is desired.

NOTE: Variations – these are great with Pesto Sauce instead of pizza sauce or with both pizza sauce and Pesto in the mixture. Add any ingredient that you like on pizza, or vary amounts to taste.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote