Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old October 29, 2014   #31
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

My Black Magic Blackberry is still putting out blossoms despite our 40 degree nights for the past month. One of its parents is your Arapaho, Hermitian (the other parent being Prime Jim.) It's my favorite of the blackberries (they do well here in NE). Very sweet, good size plump berries and a good producer even in a part shade area. Our growing season will be over by Saturday with a hard freeze predicted.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2014   #32
drew51
Tomatovillian™

In a way I look forward to the off season. I have been in the garden since spring. Still picking daily harvests of raspberries. I'm getting tired. I have been busy as heck, and with the garden, I have no rest! So the winter break is welcome! I have jam, and sauce too make! Plenty saved to get me through the winter.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014   #33
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Since mention is made of Southern High Bush, here is a link and some info.

http://www.ffsp.net/varieties/blueberry/
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014   #34
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Since mention is made of Southern High Bush, here is a link and some info.

http://www.ffsp.net/varieties/blueberry/

Some of the SHB cultivars are fantastic Springhigh, Springwide, Santa Fe, Sweetcrisp, and indigocrisp are fantastic cultivars. Opinion from my fellow blueberry growing friends. I can't grow these myself. Although I do have 2 SHB plants, Southmoon, and Sweetcrisp. Too good not to try. Most listed fruit too early for my area. Sweetcrisp is so excellent I had to try. I can't plant in the ground, I have to winter in an unheated garage. It needs protection in this area. it may fruit way to early to be useful here. Hoping it adapts to my area. In a class by themselves, Sweetcrisp and Indigocrisp are so crisp they are almost like apples. Amazing! Super sweet too! I'm hoping some NHB breeders use this stock to develop cultivars more suited for my area.
I have Toro, Liberty, Cara's Choice, Chandler, Legacy, Southmoon, and Sweetcrisp.
I want to add Spartan, Raz, Sweetheart, Pink Lemonade, and Sunshine Blue.

Last edited by drew51; October 30, 2014 at 04:05 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote