Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 7, 2019   #1
JoParrott

Default WAAAY off subject!

I really apologize in advance, but I am desperate! Nothing connected with growing, but I don't know where to turn. I have used Incredimail on my computers for 15 years, and have had many problems, but with time solved them. (I have looked for forums and groups for help with no luck) About 4 days ago both of my computers quit sending emails- I bet I have uninstalled & reinstalled IM 50 times- and done everything I can think of. Is there anyone out there who has used IM and may be able to help? I have macular degeneration and it is very hard for me to use a computer but I won't give up! Any help is great, and again, I am sorry for using TV for a non gardening issue. Thanks, Jo
Old December 7, 2019   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

1. Check to see if you can go to someone else's wifi and send emails. If so, talk to your Internet Service Provider about the blocked emails.

2. You can set up a gmail account on Google and send emails that way.

3. It's possibly a computer virus. Do you have someone who knows computers? Or maybe take it to someone like Best Buy's "Geek Squad."
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #3
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I don't think that you should apologize for asking friends for help. TV has been a community of friends, that happen to have a common affliction, Tomatoes!
I hope someone here can advise and and assist you

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #4
shule1

There is a forum for off-topic stuff.

I'm not familiar with Incredimail, though. I usually just use either Gmail's web interface, my own Linux email client that I made (for sending only; it's really more of a text editor), or Thunderbird. Oh, I guess I use Amazon's email app on my tablet more than anything.

Last edited by shule1; December 7, 2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old December 7, 2019   #5
shule1

Yeah, I also recommend just getting a Gmail account. Yandex is also a decent option.

Both services allow you to configure your account to work with external email apps (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook, Incredimail, K-9, etc.), at no charge. You can use them on any web browser, though (which is great if you get a virus that causes you email problems). They also don't delete your account after a month or two of inactivity like some other services do.

To avoid viruses, I recommend using Linux instead of Windows! Some people would recommend using a Mac, though. But, it's a whole new way of doing things. So, don't expect to use apps for Windows (especially ones you bought already) on either, unless your apps are open-source, cross-platform, free-software (like LibreOffice, OpenOffice, GIMP, Audacity, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, AbiWord, Gramps, Blender, Tux Paint, Tux Typing, Tux Math, etc.) The biggest thing I miss about Windows is vanBasco's Karaoke Player (although I can mostly use it on Linux via the Windows emulator).

Before installing Linux, though (if you like the idea), you should be sure to understand the difference between an operating system and an app. An app is something you run on an operating system. An operating system (such as Linux, Windows, Android, or Mac OS / iOS) is basically what runs your whole computer. Installing a new OS (such as Linux) could result in losing data or apps that are important to you.

Last edited by shule1; December 8, 2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old December 8, 2019   #6
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I used Incredimail for years, but started having so many problems with it, I switched to emClient. I would agree that Gmail would be a good choice for you. You need a Gmail address, but you can also use it to send and receive using your current address.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2019   #7
JoParrott

Thanks to all of you--
I do have a Gmail account, but have used my charter account through IM forever with no problems. It would be complicated to switch.
I have downloaded Thunderbird to try, but with IM they have a notifier when a new email comes in- I really like that.

Mikemansker, how do you like emClient? Is it free? I downloaded it but it seemed pretty confusing, so uninstalled it.