Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 11, 2013   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default dehydrating snap beans

Another garden/kitchen experiment...

I dehydrated lots of runner beans last year, and I enjoyed them so much (as a snack, eating straight from the jar) that I decided to try other types of beans this year. Alas, neither Emerite nor Blue Coco works as a dried snap bean. There's not much left when they're dehydrated, and they don't retain much flavor.

And I ran out of time to pick beans so I've let my runner beans go to seed! I guess I could try picking all the runner beans and using them as shelly beans, and hope the plants continue to produce beans.

I blanched my runner beans last year, but put raw snap beans in the dehydrator this year. I wonder if it makes a difference to blanch them first?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2013   #2
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I actually didn't know runner beans are good for drying, will try that. what variety are you growing, and how did they perform in the garden? i am growing some Liberty Runner beans i purchased seeds from England, supposed to grow to 2 foot long. they are vigorous, producing lots of nice red flowers, just the earlier ones did not turn into beans, now we have lots of baby beans, we'll see how they taste, they sure grow fast, thanks for the tip on dehydration.
I have not grown the other varieties you mentioned. We (living on a farm in china) used to dry a type of flat snap beans when they were young before seeds form, cut into thin strips, sometimes mixed with wood ash, which washes off easily, it looks yucky but it speeds up the drying process, and the beans retain it's green color nicely, they were dried under the sun. The beans were never blanched. When used, They are soaked in water to rehydrate, then stewed or stir fried with meat. Then they are very different in texture and flavor than when they are fresh. I don't think they taste good at all without cooking, too tough and dry.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; August 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2013   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Scarlet runner beans, probably from Renee's Garden. The plant has come back from the root for the past couple years, so I planted the seed 3 years ago.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote