Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 7, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default When to fertilize the seedlings?

Ok the tomatoes have been up for about a week, and the Shish-ito peppers 4 days I've been told when I fertilize the seedlings for the 1st time make sure to use a liquid fertilizer and dilute it with water to no stronger than 1/4 strength. Is there a rule of thumb to use as a guide on when to fertilize for the 1st time? When I pour the fertilizer water mix into the bottom of the tray holding the seedlings, should I add so the mix is 1/4" up the side and do I leave it there for the plants, or do I drain it after the seed trays are wet? Thanks for the help.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #2
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

There are lots of different theories and practices regarding fertilizing seedlings. Personally, I don't fertilize them at all until they have at least 2 sets of true leaves, usually more, sometimes much more, lol. Then I pot them up into solo cups using a potting mix that contains fertilizer and I never use a liquid fertilizer at all. They get the first dose when they go into the garden.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm going to mirror what Sue wrote above. I wouldn't fertilize before potting them up. There have been years that I didn't fertilize at all.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Many say that one should start the 1/4 strength fert after the first true leave open. No, I wouldn't let the plants sit in water all the time. Just get them well wet from bottom water, then remove so they can drain.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I fertilize when seedlings have their first set of true leaves. Liquid fish and kelp or just fish emulsion (depending on what I have on hand). 1\4 strength is correct for seedlings. Let them soak it up for 20 minutes or so . I use what is left over on other plants or just toss it. Good luck!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #6
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

I wait for mine to get the first set of true leaves, then I use 1\4 strength M G let them bottom soak for 5 minutes.
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've been mixing a tiny bit of Schultz pelleted time-release in my seed-starting mix. The stuff is cheap, and works almost as well as Osmocote. Even with a seed touching a pellet of the fertilizer, they seem to grow fine without burning. The nutrients come out of the time-release stuff slowly enough that it won't burn plants.

Worm castings are another proven and effective fertilizer, and a component of the more expensive seed-starting mixes. They too tend to not burn plants, even though a tiny bit goes a long way.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #8
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I see I'm not the only one to divide the suggested dose of fertilizer by 4. I take a common liquid fertilizer. When do I start fertilizing ? it depends on the volume of mix tomatoes are growing in. The smallest the earlier but never before true leaves appear.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have occasionally grown seedlings directly in 'hot' prefertilized mix. Did great tbh. I personally add some organic pellets to the bottom of the cups, for the roots to reach them when they grow a bit, but using quality time release premixed per instructions is ideal for ease of use and peace of mind.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote