Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 16, 2017   #1831
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I do that sometimes too. Many people would be amazed at how good plain ole rice can be.

Picked up a small bag of Royal basmati based on the recommendation here. Haven't tried it yet.
You need too it is very good.
Old February 16, 2017   #1832
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

My favorite food is fried potatoes. Does not matter what shape it was cut into or what type of oil/fat was used to fry them. Still my fave. And I can eat it with just salt and no other condiments or anything else. Of cause it is better with them. Recently I started mixing hot sauce/salsa with ketchup. It is cheap too. I eat rice, but potatoes are the main dish for me and my family.
Frying some today. mmm...

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #1833
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
My favorite food is fried potatoes. Does not matter what shape it was cut into or what type of oil/fat was used to fry them. Still my fave. And I can eat it with just salt and no other condiments or anything else. Of cause it is better with them. Recently I started mixing hot sauce/salsa with ketchup. It is cheap too. I eat rice, but potatoes are the main dish for me and my family.
I like fried potatoes too, I was raised on them.
The hot sauce and ketchup I do.
How sauce and mayo is good too.

Worth
Old February 16, 2017   #1834
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You'd like the movie "The Martian" with Matt Damon. Potatoes play an important role, for a space movie at least.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #1835
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Fried potatoes are hard to beat.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #1836
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Just catching up. dmforcier pap has a very unrealistic belief that his girls aren't going to date until they're 20 and then only date younger boys who he thinks he can toe the line. He's been told that's not a realistic expectation. What it boils down to is that he's not ready to think about a certain subject and his girls. Gigi and I just laugh most of the time but yesterday morning before I left for work and school I did tell him why my daughter loves the song now. Her favorite game (which he knows) is dress up. The first line in the song is, "somebody's got to wear a pretty skirt."

Gigi is making shrimp fettucine alfredo with homemade alfredo sauce, a salad, and breadsticks for supper tonight! Yum! I can't even recall the last time I had any kind of alfredo!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #1837
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Ghad, I'm glad I don't have daughters. As Bill Cosby said, "Four pair of long overalls!"

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #1838
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I found a deal on brisket today, it's just select but I had to buy it on principle. Beef this cheap is crazy.

It's in the fridge waiting for me to make it famous but I need some suggestions. I could smoke half and then brine the other half for corned beef. What half is the better part to smoke and/or to make corned beef?
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #1839
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

My wife often teases me about me still living in the 1970s when it comes to meat prices. I've seen briskets for $49 - limit 2. ...limit 0 for me.
Old February 18, 2017   #1840
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I found a deal on brisket today, it's just select but I had to buy it on principle. Beef this cheap is crazy.

It's in the fridge waiting for me to make it famous but I need some suggestions. I could smoke half and then brine the other half for corned beef. What half is the better part to smoke and/or to make corned beef?
Your choice on that one.
I would corn/cure the flat myself as it is the least tender part.
I still have a huge chunk I corned in the freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
My wife often teases me about me still living in the 1970s when it comes to meat prices. I've seen briskets for $49 - limit 2. ...limit 0 for me.

Me too.
Old February 18, 2017   #1841
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont know how the daughter subject got here but I have an opinion on it even though I dont have children.
It is only observations from different people and fathers relationships with their daughters.
One of my best friends has two grown nice looking daughters that have grown to be women.
He treated them like they were young adults that needed guidance not like they were some sort of sex symbol.
The oldest was an accident from him fooling around in high school.
He married the girl and they are still married many years later.
He was realistic about what young people do and knew the best thing was to educate them.
Another guy well several act like the daughter is their property and almost as though they want them for themselves.
It is hard to explain but in a way it is almost sick.

One of them in particular was over the top.
But his 15 year old daughter ran around looking like a cheap prostitute.
Even had the whole pop singer thing going on with hiphuggers so low you could see more than you should in the front.
He allowed that but wouldn't let any boys around her.
I accused him of saving her for himself and it was jealousy not protecting.
There is a difference.

Worth
Old February 18, 2017   #1842
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now lets get back to the select VS prime on meat.
The art of cooking meat is to take select and make it good.
NOT taking prime and making it good.
The other is to be able to select cuts of meat not by their label but by what they look like.
I have seen way too may cuts of steak labeled prime that have no place being labeled prime.
They wouldn't even fall under choice.
Here is another problem with trying to bend a brisket in a vacuum pack.
It isn't the same as if it were not packaged.
You are far better off buying two smaller select briskets than you are buying one large prime brisket.
A brisket is a sorry cut of meat anyway why bother paying prime prices.

Worth
Old February 18, 2017   #1843
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Worth, what you wrote in post #1841 - I've seen that myself, and I've seen even worse.

If Jan and I had a daughter, she would have been raised the same way as our sons were. Okay, enough of that from me.

Today, I'm supposed to make lasagna. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that. I'll have to see how I feel as the day progresses.
Old February 18, 2017   #1844
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I made a beef stock last night using shanks and oxtails to use for soup and I wanted to make enough stock to use later, I have about a gallon left.
I seasoned and browned the meat took it out and sliced 3 onions to make a french onion type gravy then added mushrooms, the meat and water and let it simmer for a few hours.
Took some out this morning and made a smaller pot of soup. I used a bag of Asian blend vegetables which had broccoli, bamboo shoots, snow peas and carrots. I added ginger, more mushrooms, dried lily flower, garlic and pancit noodles then I topped the bowl with cilantro, green onions, hoisin and sriracha sauce.

Brunch!!
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #1845
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I just watched Lidia Bastianich make a tomato frittata. The recipe on the show was like this one https://communitytable.parade.com/31...otta-frittata/ but she used a slicer sized tomato instead. I want to cook one once we have some home grown tomatoes. It looked more like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000183-533x400.jpg (64.8 KB, 35 views)