Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2018   #2056
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

People have their priorities straight around there.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2057
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We got about an inch and a half of sleet with a little snow mixed in overnight. I'm just glad we're not getting the 18-30" of snow that much of central and northern WI is receiving. They are going to have snow on the ground until May!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2058
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Two days of 80º
Tested the AC.
Today 40º
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2059
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we are getting some crap weather here, and not the kind of crap that you want to put on your garden.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2060
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Yup, been kinda schitzo down here, too. Next 2 nights down around 40...looks to be warming up after that. It'll be nice to get these 100 or so seedlings outta my cave!

Jon

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2061
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

It's been snowing on and off here for most of the day. I went out back to the greenhouse this morning and dug out the entry way to the door. My propane heater was on low all night, when I got inside, it was almost 50F in the greenhouse and just 30F outside. Looking up through the sub-ceiling, I could see the outer roof was covered with snow. I spent about an hour removing the snow and ice off the roof.

Keeping the snow off the roof seemed like it was going to be a losing battle because I would get one section cleared off only for it to get snow covered again before I finished the next section. I had to go inside the greenhouse and pull back the canopy (sub ceiling) on the door end and allow some of the heated air inside to make it to top layer. The warm air helped to keep the new falling snow melted and I was able to finish clearing the roof. I closed the canopy end back up and the roof seems to be staying clear of snow. It's just wet now. When I left to come down to the house, the inside temperature was over 60F with the heater still on low and it was 31F outside.

I going back up to greenhouse now because the plants need to tended to with watering being a priority.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; April 15, 2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2062
bower
Tomatovillian™

Dutch, I'm glad to hear your seedlings are okay and your greenhouse setup is really working and holding the heat.
Mine dipped to 34 F this morning and got up to 65 F for a couple of hours in spite of the howling wind, as the sun was shining for a bit. But down to 50 well before sunset, and will be another cold one tonight with the fierce NW winds.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2063
carcharoth12
Tomatovillian™

Couple inches of snow now freezing rain and wind chill of -13 Celsius (8 Fahrenheit) here in eastern Ontario jeez it seems like spring is a long way off today
carcharoth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2064
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Heck far, we have another chance of accumulating snow for in the morning.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2065
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

This crazy up -and- down weather better get it all out of its system before mid May. I expect nice mild steady weather by the time I plant out!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2066
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think we have had 5" of rain today. I am exhausted from shoveling gravel for the last 1/2 hour from water flowing over the catch basin and plugging the next one with 12" or more of gravel...... pulling a 5' tall pile of gravel with it to the neighbors back yard... it is a mess. I am sure their basement is flooded, too. the water is just flowing downhill.... the neighbor down the road just called wanting to use a machine to clean out another culvert farther down that is plugged with debris. I even have water in the greenhouse now.
Old April 15, 2018   #2067
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Holy Smokes Carolyn! I wish you and your neighbors all the best as you work through this huge challenge.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #2068
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

never seen this much water on the fields before there is a "river" that runs through here and it is over its banks, never have we seen this much water here.100_2704.jpg

Last edited by clkeiper; April 16, 2018 at 07:55 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #2069
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Did anyone have frost this morning? I have friends around Toledo Bend and Dallas that had light frost but not bad.
Old April 16, 2018   #2070
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Rajun, There was no frost here at my house, but I live way south of those two areas.

Carolyn, that is a lot of water. I sure hope it drains away soon. I've been thinking about you and all of that rain.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote