Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 7, 2016   #16
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I've tried twice to grow potatoes and both times NADA. I'm going to try fall planting them this year.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

After about a 10 year wait, I finally have some Green Mountains. Now I wait for the eyes to sprout and the weather to warm.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #18
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I planted in containers this year and they are doing great. I started these the 1st of March, the 1st 3 half barrels are Yukon Gold & the last one is Russet from the grocery store. The Russets grew slower than YG but they almost caught up and they just started to flower. From the looks of things, I say it's so much easier in containers. I'll know when I harvest but if I can get 10-15 pounds from a container then I'll just start them at different times.

Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #19
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I start planting potatoes when lilacs start blooming. Does it work everywhere ? I really don't know.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #20
Fred Westcott
Tomatovillian™

Long range forecasts for here, zone 6, show good weather from now to June. It was 80 yesterday !
I figure I'll plant this week. I have German Butterball, late season, be nice to get a jump on it.
Fred Westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #21
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I planted in containers this year and they are doing great. I started these the 1st of March, the 1st 3 half barrels are Yukon Gold & the last one is Russet from the grocery store. The Russets grew slower than YG but they almost caught up and they just started to flower. From the looks of things, I say it's so much easier in containers. I'll know when I harvest but if I can get 10-15 pounds from a container then I'll just start them at different times.

Wow! Nice set up! Your potatoes are looking good!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #22
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Ok, so some potatoes took a hit last night. It was supps to be 38 but apparently went down more
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #23
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I think more than potatoes took a hit for a few people, the temps up there are crazy low and down here it's been a very hot humid 87 for about a week. My poor plants are getting stressed from the heat.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #24
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

It's been hitting 100 here, the potatoes and onions are starting to call it quits. Can't wait to dig them & see what I got!
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #25
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Lindalana,
I posted shortly after you started this thread. As mentioned earlier my potato planting was the last week of March. In the NC mountains zone 6, since the last week of March we have had temps as low as the mid 20's and one Saturday with an inch of snow. I travel between the SC coast and the mountains so I was away from the garden from March 27 (when I started my tomato seeding) and April 20th. When I returned in April I noted only a few of my potatoes had germinated. On my next trip to NC last Thursday almost all of my potatoes had germinated and were very prolific. I am still in NC planting my vegetables and tomatoes. I took a few photos today and have a couple more pics to complete as I finish planting my tomatoes. Will post them late tomorrow. Good luck with your potatoes, weather should not be an issue, IMO...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #26
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Ok, so some potatoes took a hit last night. It was supps to be 38 but apparently went down more
39 for the low last night here..potatoes look good,lost a lot of blooms on tomatoes and peppers, plants look good though.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #27
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Potatoes did overgrew most of the damage, pic from last week. For last couple of warm days we are going... need to hill again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160526_080951.jpg (284.3 KB, 149 views)
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #28
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

I remember planting potatoes on St Patrick's Day in Southern Maryland as a kid. My dad would take care of the horses while our cousin Robert had us kids planting the fields.
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #29
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I actually did plant some last Fall (outside of Philly, PA); about half made it through and are doing better than my Spring planted stock. (Noticed today some of those fingerlings are setting buds.)

Anyone here raise two crops per season? Do you do anything special before you replant? (Like chill the tubers for a few days, or anything.)
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #30
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

2 crops is doable even far north of you.
You can't use seed potato from the spring for the summer planting, sourcing summer tubers is a challenge, you may need to hold over some of your disease free tubers and keep them cool.
If they get "physiologically old" they will just grow tops.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote