Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2006   #1
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Default Aunt Gertie's...slow to germinate???

I'm getting concerned about my AGG seeds...all of my other 7 varieties have started to sprout, except those. I planted them about 10 days ago...I'm beginning to wonder if I forgot to sow those seeds!

Is it normal for them to take a little longer to germinate? They are mostly new seeds ordered from Mariseeds.

Thanks for any input...

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jennifer, I've found through the years that there does not seem to be a dependency between a particular variety and germination time. The differences noted are primarily slight differences in how they were planted (depth, moisture, specific environment - temp, etc), or age/condition of the seed.

This was confirmed this year when germination times of 100 varieties saved between 1998 and 2005, are within a day of each other.

Craig
Old February 19, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Jen,

I agree with Craig on this.

The only variety that I know of, that even with fresh seeds takes about two weeks is the variety Mirabell.

Other than that, there shouldn't be any reason they are taking much longer than others.

I forgot what I read in your post right now, but are all your others up and only the AGG not up?

No seeds of AGG are that old since the variety has only been available since about 2001.

Anything else you want to share about those AGG seeds?
Old February 19, 2006   #4
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

All of my other tomato seeds are germinating, and these aren't...and I remember getting a phone call while sowing them...

Maybe there are no seeds in there! I'm going to sow a few more, just in case. I love those tomatoes and MUST have more this year. And it's good to know that they can't be old...once again thanks Carolyn
What would we do without you?

Jen
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jen, just dig around a little and see if you can find some seeds (or seedlings!)