Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old November 1, 2010   #1
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Default 2010-2011 Garlic Grow List

Finally a hard freeze thus I did my planting and mulching of garlic over the weekend. I had such a good first year with my garlic, that I have tripled the amount and doubled the number of varieties of last season. Maybe enough for trading next season.

Here are the varieties I have finally in the ground:

Chrysalis Purple, DX-127, Georgian Crystal, Georgian Fire, German Hardy, Khabar, Leningrad, Nootka Rose, Red Estonian, Red Toch, Thermadrone, Wildfire(to size up), Martin's Heirloom bulbils(100+,a two year project).

• Has everyone got all their garlic planted?
  • What varieties is everyone else doing this season?

thanks,
Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Growing garlic is addictive, isn't it? I grew a small plot for the first time last year. This year I got a little carried away - planted a total of roughly 600 cloves. Can't wait for next year!

Asian Tempest
Brown Saxon
Chesnok Red
Chinese Purple
Estonian Red
Georgian Fire
Hnat
Inchelium Red
Japanese
Kettle River Giant
Killarney Red
Kyjev
Leningrad
Martin’s Heirloom
Metechi
Montana Carlos
Music
Nootka Rose
Khabar
Pyong Vang
Red Janice
Red Janice
Red Toch
Shandong
Shatili
Siberian
Sicilian Silverskin
Simonetti
Slovenian
Thai Fire
Transylvania
Xian
Youghiogheny Purple
Yugoslavian
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #3
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

fortyonenorth, that is a nice list and you are correct it has become addicting.

I would be interested to know your results for Kettle River Giant, Slovenian, and Yugoslavian. I have thought maybe adding them to my list next season as "Chrysalis Purple" is on probation for rot this year and one of the softnecks had to many cloves and not sure if it will continue for me.

I myself did about 400 cloves and 100+ bulbils.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #4
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I've got mine planted...first year for this. Hear is my list...and yes I imagine that it is addicting.
Lorz Italian
Schumacher
Nootka Rose
Marie's Special
Estonian Red
Chrysalis Purple
Chesnok Red
Carpathian
Brown Saxon
Asian Tempest

Wanted to order a few more, but even though I ordered early, they were gone already. I would like to hear feedback from anyone who has grown any of these...as to taste, etc. I realize there have been a few comments on one or two of these already.
Thanks
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #5
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Will-do. Have you tried pre-treating your cloves prior to planting? I didn't last year, but based on advice from Karen @ wegrowgarlic, I did an overnight soak in a kelp mixture and then a three minute dunk in either isopropyl or strong vodka just prior to planting. It's said to help with disease - though I don't think there's any scientific evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRIowa View Post
I would be interested to know your results for Kettle River Giant, Slovenian, and Yugoslavian. I have thought maybe adding them to my list next season as "Chrysalis Purple" is on probation for rot this year and one of the softnecks had to many cloves and not sure if it will continue for me.
Old November 1, 2010   #6
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Chesnok Red was one of my best producers last year - along with Killarney Red, Red Toch and Pyong Vang. I'm growing several of the others for the first time this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
I've got mine planted...first year for this. Hear is my list...and yes I imagine that it is addicting.
Lorz Italian
Schumacher
Nootka Rose
Marie's Special
Estonian Red
Chrysalis Purple
Chesnok Red
Carpathian
Brown Saxon
Asian Tempest

Wanted to order a few more, but even though I ordered early, they were gone already. I would like to hear feedback from anyone who has grown any of these...as to taste, etc. I realize there have been a few comments on one or two of these already.
Thanks
Chris
Old November 2, 2010   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and planted this weekend, close to 300 cloves of the following:

Ajo Rojo
Bogatyr
Broad Leaf Czech
Brown Tempest
Burgundy Creole
California Early
Creole Red
Chet's Italian Red
Early Red Italian
Elephant (leek)
Estonian Red
Inchelium Red
Kettle River Giant
Metechi
Red Janice
Red Toch
Siberian
Sicilian

I do the overnight presoak with seaweed emulsion (one oz Maxicrop / gal of water), but decided to skip the rubbing alcohol dunk this year to save a little time. Instead, Actinovate was also added to the soaking solution.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #8
mjc
Tomatovillian™

I'm cutting back this year...only 11 varieties.

3 'grocery store' softnecks (2 white and 1 purple. )
Rosewood
Purple Glazer
Klaver
Nia~wanda Park (second year of growing out from bulbils; Remy)
Amish Red (a locally found variety, originally from PA)
Frank's (2nd yr of rehabilitating one that has grown semi wild here for at least 17 yrs)
An unlabled one from last year that did very well
Spanish Rojo
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Dean the only ones you mention that I have grown are Nootka Rose and Georgian Crystal. I stopped growing Nootka Rose after 2 or 3 years because the cloves were so hard to peel, must be a siliverskin because it sure kept a long time. I stopped growing Georgian Crystal after 2 years because the bulbs were small, didn't keep that long iirc and taste was ok but nothing special. I'm not criticizing you just explaining my views on those 2.

This year I'm growing Music, German Red, German White as usual, they develop huge bulbs with huge cloves so much so I have a hard time pushing the cloves into the hole my dibble makes! New varieties this year are Rosewood, Russian Red, Romanian Red and Metechi. I hope these are ok as the bulbs were bought in August and all the outer wrappers were removed. I thought that was not a good thing but they came from a “good source” and I figured 2 ½ months in storage wouldn't hurt them and that they'd be ok. Well I was wrong! They are all dried out and frankly I was going to throw them all away but I found a few good cloves when I tore the bulbs apart so I planted those few cloves – it's a 90% loss and a waste of $62. I planted 192 cloves and I thought that was a lot until reading this thread. I don't sell garlic maybe some of you do?

Normally I plant the 1st week of November around the 5th maybe as late as the 12th but this year I planted them all on Sunday. It was Halloween so I expect the Romanian Red to be especially powerful, look out Dracula!

41 north, that's an impressively huge amount of garlic especially for someone that grew a small plot last year! I'd love to hear how these taste next July!

Tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #10
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Tom - not sure if my 2011 garlic garden is impressively huge or impressively foolish - time will tell

Interesting to hear about the problems with your seed garlic. I had a similar experience. Several varieties from one source were pretty spotty by mid-October. All the garlic I ordered from Filaree Farm (more expensive) was impeccable.

My theory is this: Filaree is growing on mineral soil in a dry western climate - this produces somewhat smaller heads, but with better storing qualities. Other seed garlic suppliers are growing in richer soil - producing larger heads (enormous in some cases) but with poorer storage potential.
Old November 3, 2010   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Tom - not sure if my 2011 garlic garden is impressively huge or impressively foolish - time will tell

well you sure have a lot to play with!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life

Last edited by tjg911; November 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2010   #12
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback on those I am growing. I, too, ordered mine from Karen and Mike. Their website is very informative. Everything arrived in excellent shape and on time. Will definitely order from them again!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote