Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old September 15, 2010   #31
flutterby
Tomatovillian™

Default Oh, yeah...and the gardening websites...

Oh, yeah...and *all* the gardening websites that you can find. Maybe even make a list of them that you know of and possibly some of the members here can find some more for you. (Not that you do not already have a lot of work ahead of you...LOL!) Maybe we can help somewhat. Giving them all the links to your website.

Luther Burbank did not keep the records of all that he did or maybe he did not want to share it all, but this info can save many, many lives. The seeds are not worth anything if not planted, right? (I have to tell myself that very same thing, as I have quite a few unplanted seeds of my own....)
flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010   #32
imp
Tomatovillian™

Tom, we don't know each other at all, but I would like to make the offer to help on a website if you need it and if it is within (or close to within) my abilities. I am not up on some of the latest languages, but am self taught in HTML, having created a few web pages back when i sold books and depression glass.

If you could use something simple like this:

http://pigeonalley2.tripod.com/pigeo...-p1-index.html

it is woefully out of date, but the boxes for descriptions can be any sized and order, pictures, and such.....

BTW, anyone who would want to copy the Santa's or other holiday images, feel free to do so- they make good gift tags printed out.

Or as a proof reader, or what ever.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2011   #33
flutterby
Tomatovillian™

Where is Tom now?
flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2011   #34
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I am around, helping my webmaster with some details to put in a on-line catalog of potato and tomato varieties and having him help me put together a newsletter and list serve mechanism for sending out those when requested. I have been sending my selected photos to him as well via a flash drive. The phplist is the world's most popular open source email campaign manager.

I am busy trying to come up with names for potato clones but even more for tomatoes that never had a name..just numbers and pedigree info. I have been naming about a hundred or so a day, trying to include descriptions for each and I am amazed how much time that takes.

I get distracted easily, phone calls, national and international visitors either calling, stopping by or leaving emails that need my attention. Had visitors from Belgium today and named a potato for the grand father. I gave him a coin sized tuber that he might try to take back with him.

Since this is the potato forum, soon you will get to see more of what I have been up to....Uh, oh, my webmaster chimed in on Skype...gotta go, messages says he fixed a broken link.

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2011   #35
cortona
Tomatovillian™

beautiful news Tom!
we waith for your work happily!
cortona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2011   #36
Tom Wagner

Quote:
"'October Blue' is by far our best-yielding potato variety."
That was a quote from Carol Deppe's book called, 'The Resilient Gardener' is but one reason why varieties created from True Potato Seeds have, and will continue to be, been among best-yielding potato varieties.

Sorting TPS to list

Tom Wagner
Old January 9, 2011   #37
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

That is good news! Soon we will have many TPS lines to choose from... now the question is: what to grow next? potatoes for tropical weather resistance, drought tolerance, good flavor, high protein, nutritional value, color... too many to choose. Ol' white russet baking spud in not making the list this year. I might be dropping all blue and yukon gold too... i am seeing those more often in the groceries stores.

Waiting for the site.
Old February 12, 2011   #38
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy beans View Post
Hi tom I just joined . Darwin said you have potato seeds. Thought I wrote other email to you but then darwin wrote back.
I bought TPS from Tom's new site which is described (and linked?) here and in General Discussion and Seed Sources, and expect to receive them next week, and sow (along with Wendy's TPS) in March.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011   #39
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple pictures of two varieties of TPS I'm growing of Tom's. The first picture is of "Skagit Magic" and the second picture is of "La Pan". I've started these in a tray with ten seeds per cell I then transplanted them to a 72 cell tray, one start per cell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom Wagner's Skagit Magic Potato E.jpg (185.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Tom Wagner's La Pan Potato TPS 2E.jpg (203.0 KB, 87 views)
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #40
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Default Tetra Cotyledons from Suyta Vilquina TPS.

Here is a link to a web-album showing pictures of my seedlings of Tom Wagner's "Suytu Vilquina" TPS. I'm not sure if these seedlings qualify technically as tetra cotyledons but I would be interested in other's opinions.
Here is the link to the web album of photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/hopkins...eat=directlink
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suytu Vilquina Tetra Cotyledons 5.jpg (85.4 KB, 78 views)
Luther Burbank

Last edited by Indyartist; May 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
Old May 7, 2011   #41
Tom Wagner

Great shots for so up close!

I explained my take on the mutiple cotyledons on my forum. Make sure the spelling is Suytu rather than Suyta....Suytu means long in the post Inca language.
Old May 14, 2011   #42
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Here is a photo of a TPS seedling of a variety that I purchased from Tom's web-site named "Suytu Vilquina". I will repot them tomorrow into a 72 cell tray and let them get bigger until a final planting in the garden or a container.
Luther Burbank
Old July 8, 2011   #43
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Tom will be down today to show me 'proper' crossing techniques. So should have some neat crosses. I already have 29 berries in my own patch, growing rapidly!
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2011   #44
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I have never planted potatoes before, but am interested in growing them if I can find additional space. I have been reading several threads about TPS, but I am still a little confused.

Post #10 of this thread does a very good job of describing the benefits of TPS vs. seed potatoes. My initial thought was that I would be able to start potato plants from seed, save seed from the plants I grow so I have seed for the following season (like tomatoes).

However, post #17 of this thread talks about using TPS to start plants to generate seed potatoes that can be planted.

Can someone clear up my confusion? When using TPS can a person continually save seed and replant the seed in future years (and get a crop of a stabilized potato) or is the seed for the purpose of starting a seed potato that then can be saved from year to year?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2011   #45
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I will try...

Quote:
My initial thought was that I would be able to start potato plants from seed, save seed from the plants I grow so I have seed for the following season (like tomatoes).
You can plant true seed (TPS) and get more berries with TPS to save. I have done that BUT they are more like hybrid tomatoes seeds because the true potato seed have diversity in the genes. If you plant TPS seeds, all the plants are not identical. You can end up with different color tubers!

Quote:
TPS to start plants to generate seed potatoes that can be planted
The potato plant grown from TPS will develop potatoes and you can replant those the next year but again you will get diverse potatoes and you will need to select those you like to replant.

Quote:
Can someone clear up my confusion? When using TPS can a person continually save seed and replant the seed in future years (and get a crop of a stabilized potato) or is the seed for the purpose of starting a seed potato that then can be saved from year to year?
Stabilized potato? TPS gives you new varieties of potato. You have to select those you like and continue to plant via vegetative cloning by planting a tuber etc and saving them each year. But the TPS has the information locked in so you could replant few years later and refresh those you like.

Did I make you more confused?