Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 2, 2013   #1
swinefka
Tomatovillian™

Default 5 gallon tomato question

I had a problem last year when growing tomatoes in my 5 gallon containers. Once they got to be around 3 to 4 feet high I had a problem with them tipping over on windy days or stormy days. All of my buckets are on a cement patio and it is the only place I can keep them at. It is a great location because it gets the enitre afternoon sun all the way until it gets dark. Here are the few questions I have.
  1. Is there a smaller indeterminate tomatoe planet I can use that doesn't get so tall which will help this situation?
  2. Is there anyone else who has had this problem that has built supports for the 5 gallon buckets that can be used on concrete? If so do you have any pictures of it that I can see?
swinefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #2
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Red Rocket is a early vairiety and doesnt get too tall, and is kind of wide and bulky, that should work.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Check out the released dwarf project varieties. I did have one or two dwarfs in grow bags tip over on me last year, but it was strictly due to the weight of all the fruit!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #4
swinefka
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies and I think I have an idea to end my buckets from tipping over. Once I build it I will post it on here.
Old March 2, 2013   #5
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

A couple possibilities.......

Place a concrete block lengthwise between each pail (tight) and drill a hole at the top of each
pail to tie a good string/cord between the pail.

Another solution that I use on all of mine out on my floating docks. Drill a small hole in the
base of the pail, insert a fairly long wood screw through a fender washer and drill each into
a fairly lengthy wood plank. They won't tip in a hurricane!!
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I like Alpinejs idea with the plank. You could make an X with the lapped parts beveled thru 1/2 way thru each board. Then you could also use the planks as the base of your support system somehow. Maybe a post straignt up the middle of the bucket with guy wires from each plank to the top of the support post.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

If your patio has any kind of railing or fence around it attach the containers to the fence. At my previous residence I had a 60 foot fence line and attached my containers to it. If you can take a picture of your patio and post here it might be easier to make suggestions. Ami
Old March 2, 2013   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Look for tomato varieties with either "dwarf" or "bush" in the name.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I had the very problem you speak of and I had nothing I could attach to with the space being far too small to build anything. I also need to evacuate quickly if threat of hurricane is in the near distance. I used a cinder block on all three sides of the round bucket if you know what I mean? The cinder blocks seemed to hold the buckets well and I could move the buckets in and out of sun if I needed to.

When I had high wind gusts I decided to stack the cinder blocks to two tall and never had a bucket tip over again.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #10
swinefka
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas, I would love to do the screw and washer methods in the base of the pail but they are self watering buckets and I dont want the chance of them leaking in the bottom of them.
Old March 2, 2013   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Scott,
How many buckets do you have? I saw a picture somewhere of the following.
Lay a ladder down with 2 cement blocks supporting the ends sawhorse style. Put the buckets in between the rungs, or every other. You could build that fairly simply as well.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2013   #12
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

could you buy some wood and frame them to a certain extent and then the frame could also be used to attach poles/bamboo/trellis etc.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2013   #13
swinefka
Tomatovillian™

I have 9 buckets so not too many, I think I will build a frame around them out of 2x4's so they cant tip over.
Old March 3, 2013   #14
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

You could make a wood frame like James' Ladder idea
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote