Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 15, 2015   #1
rtvvvv
Tomatovillian™

Default 30 gal container- 1 or 2 plants?

building a new set of SWC's this time 30.5 gal size. i've done 2 in a 14gal
before..it worked but was crowded. thought i might get better production and size with more "root room" any thoughts?

Thanks!
rtvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

If it's wide enough, plenty of room for 2.
And you will get better production with more root room.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #3
rtvvvv
Tomatovillian™

19x30...won't the plants compete for "food"? and then produce less?
rtvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Not as long as there is enough for 2!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #5
gregory
Tomatovillian™

I don't see a problem. I use 10 gallon containers and they grow fine.
Old April 12, 2015   #6
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

I use 5 gallon containers - one plant per - with no problems.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #7
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Competition

I use a 15 and 20 gallon container and have tried to grow 2 tomato plants in one container...they will grow but they do compete for food and space. I end up separating them so they have room. I grow 1 tomato plant / indeterminate in 1 container. Much better results for root growth and production.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #8
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtvvvv View Post
building a new set of SWC's this time 30.5 gal size. i've done 2 in a 14gal
before..it worked but was crowded. thought i might get better production and size with more "root room" any thoughts? Thanks!
The actual problem may not have been lack of space; but more likely the roots getting entwined with each other - perhaps choking each other off. With nowhere else to go that could be a problem.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #9
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Depends on your objectives. I want variety, even if it is at the expense of a little size or production. I grow through the winter in a sun room in SWCs made with a full 27 gallon container on top using Raybo's 3-2-1 mix, his fertilizing method, his 'pea fence' support and his use of nylon netting for internal support. That creates eight vertical columns inside the support structure. I plant 4 full-size tomato plants - one in each quadrant.

I prune each plant to two stems, and train one up each of two vertical columns. Once a week I remove any leaves that intrude on or shade a neighbor plant, remove suckers and make sure each stem stays in its vertical space. On any sucker that gets large enough that it has blossoms, I leave the blossoms and remove the growing tip and remove the remaining small suckers. Some varieties produce extremely well, both in numbers and size. Others, don't do quite so well - I don't think they like the heavy pruning. However, I do get the variety I am after and once I find enough varieties that do well, I'll get the production.

In the summer, I plant two to a container and don't prune as aggressively - each plant gets four vertical columns. They do fine and produce very well. I have a quite short growing season - 90-120 days. Perhaps with a longer season, they would overgrow the containers.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #10
berkeleyluddite
Tomatovillian™

Usually I tried to grow a very tall indeterminate plant complimented by a shorter determinate plant in a particular large container in my yard. I tried to make sure the shorter one has the southwest exposure to increase their sun exposure given their limitation.

Last year I did a SunGold and Green Grape in the same container. The contrast in colors and a few random cross bred cherries totally made my year!
berkeleyluddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2015   #11
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Just put two Roma's in a 25 gallon dirt-pot, determinate so not expecting any problems. Their parent plant is pretty small so we'll see.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2015   #12
hollowpoint
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing 2 tomatoes in a 31 gallon SWC (Raybo's EarthTainer). One is a Cherokee Purple, and the other is a Black Krim. The Cherokee Purple is growing a fair amount faster than the Black Krim and almost looks like it's choking out the BK for space. Stems and leafs are already starting to get tangled up!

We'll see how it plays out the rest of the season...
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote