Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2013   #1
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato question

I planted some tomatoes in the ground and some in a container. I dug a big ditch and dump my soil mix in. The tomato in the container is growing faster then the ones in the ground.
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #2
edweather
Tomatovillian™

In my experience they do grow faster in containers than in the ground.
Old March 17, 2013   #3
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

I bet the soil in the container is warmer than the soil in ground especially after the warm weather recently and at this point in the season.
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #4
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes seem to grow faster in containers, but grow larger .
when planted in the ground
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #5
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Not too thrilled with the tomatoes i stuck into the ground. Growing really slow atm, wish the weather would get hotter. The ones in the containers are growing super fast.
Old March 21, 2013   #6
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

Tnq626, what's your soil temperature in the ground? Do you have a probe thermometer you can stick in the ground? I'm curious because we are in the same area. Today my soil is at 61 degrees F. How is the soil in the ground different than the containers? The temperature in my small container (they will be put in the ground, eventually.) is at 74 degrees F and they are growing faster than the ones in the ground. I know you like Empire Builder's for your container tomatoes, so that has lots of additional ingredients perhaps than the tomatoes in the ground. I bet it's the difference of the temperature that is speeding the container tomatoes. How large are your containers and are they black? Color of your pots can also affect the soil in your containers. Also my soil is near my tan garage wall so it reflects light onto my tomato plants. Tomatoes love warm soil!
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My in the ground tomatoes last year never even came close to the same varieties in the earthboxes, not for the entire growing season. This year it was earthboxes all the way, and they took off and kept on , still are to a slightly lesser degree, and they were planted out on Nov. 18th. I won't be going back to the ground ever!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #8
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Jitomate View Post
Tnq626, what's your soil temperature in the ground? Do you have a probe thermometer you can stick in the ground? I'm curious because we are in the same area. Today my soil is at 61 degrees F. How is the soil in the ground different than the containers? The temperature in my small container (they will be put in the ground, eventually.) is at 74 degrees F and they are growing faster than the ones in the ground. I know you like Empire Builder's for your container tomatoes, so that has lots of additional ingredients perhaps than the tomatoes in the ground. I bet it's the difference of the temperature that is speeding the container tomatoes. How large are your containers and are they black? Color of your pots can also affect the soil in your containers. Also my soil is near my tan garage wall so it reflects light onto my tomato plants. Tomatoes love warm soil!
I use black containers about 5 gallon size. Experimenting with different soils. The ones in the ground have the exact same soil as the ones in the pots. I'm sure the ones in the ground will pick up once the weather gets warmer. Also, I think the ones in the ground are more focused on their root structure.

I had a cherry tomato plant last year that was planted in my front yard against the wall getting only half-day sun. It grew massive, probably 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall.

Empire builder is great for SWC if you don't make your own mix. Works perfectly right out of the bag. I do make my own mix also, it's working just as well.
Old March 22, 2013   #9
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

Tnq626, I also heard from Steve Goto, the Tomato Man in our area, that small tomatoes don't need as much sun but beefsteak tomatoes or large tomato producers need warmer soil to get them going so he suggested planting those after April 1st.

Steve Goto will be at Lincoln Nursery in Pasadena this Saturday at 1:30 pm. He provides two hours of Tomato growing information.

I am still building trellises, but 5 of my small tomato producers are in the ground! I need 12 more plantings.
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #10
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

I'm still debating on what kind of trelis to build. Thinking go going the pvc route or maybe just get some bamboo sticks.

I just went over my grandparents home where i planted 5 tomatoes in the ground at the same time i did mines. Theirs is double the size of mines. They were planted inbetween 3 trees.