Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Anna Banana Russian - impressive new tomato

I received an email from a Washington state tomato grower offering me a few seeds of a tomato that he has stabilized - he described it as a yellow version of Anna Russian and called it Anna Banana Russian.

I finally picked some fruit from it this week. Like Anna Russian, it is wispy foliaged, weak stemmed - and produces fruit that are slightly, not strongly, heart shaped (rounded blossom ends, rather than pointy). The best parts - they are bright yellow with pale yellow interiors with very slight red streaking. (the first heart I've seen that is not golden, or on the orange side - such as Yellow Oxheart)....and they are quite delicious! One of the better tomatoes I've tasted this year; they run from 6 to 12 ounces or a bit more.

Pictures:

Unripe fruit -

Ripe on the vine -

Ripe on the board -

Sliced -

I hope to have a few for Tomatopalooza. The fruit have few seeds. My plans are to send a few to Patrina so that some Aussies and NZers can try them out - perhaps this will allow for more seed to share around the US next growing season.
Old July 24, 2006   #2
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

They are adorable!!! I loved regular Anna Russian when I grew it, but found it quite disease-prone. These are just so cute I would be tempted to try again.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2006   #3
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Boy, I'd be right there in line for some of these seeds. I love A. R. when we have a nice spring (unlike this year when we went from freezing to blazing). Just beautiful!
Old July 24, 2006   #4
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Default Re: Anna Banana Russian - impressive new tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman
I hope to have a few for Tomatopalooza. The fruit have few seeds. My plans are to send a few to Patrina so that some Aussies and NZers can try them out - perhaps this will allow for more seed to share around the US next growing season.
Craig, I'll share whatever you send with the SH growers along with their Dwarf Project F2 seeds, and get some fresh seeds back to you around Feb/Mar 2007.

Last year was my first successful year for growing Anna Russian and I loved it! This yellow one looks like another beauty

Patrina
Old July 25, 2006   #5
Reign
Tomatovillian™

That is a beautiful tomato. I love the coloring.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow

Over here. Over here.
Looks delish.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #7
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

WOW. What an amazing tomato.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #8
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

It could be a very long-living idea to develope your favorite tomato varieties with other coloration.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #9
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

At the SC Tomato Tasting, I tried what was labeled Anna Russian, but was confused that it seemed to be a bi-color tomato, instead of a pink tomato. When I got home, I pulled out Dr. Carolyn Male's book to make sure I was remembering correctly. She has it listed as a pink tomato. So I'm wondering if the Anna Banana Russian is what I really tasted. That's not how it was labeled though. It was very good. It was a heart-shaped bi-color and very large.
Old July 25, 2006   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Very interesting indeed! I have no way of knowing how many people the fellow from Washington shared the Anna Banana seeds with - so it is possible. Anna Russian should definitely be a medium to medium large, heart shaped pink tomato, however.
Old July 25, 2006   #11
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Wow!

What a unique looking tomato. The coloration when sliced is especially striking. I almost thought I was looking at a white-fleshed peach for a moment!

Looks very juicy!

Please let us know when those seeds are ready to be shared next season. I'm sure there are many of us who would be anxious to try them out.
sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #12
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao Craig,

Hurray for you! Beautiful, yellow, and delicious, what more could you want?
Old September 20, 2006   #13
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Anna Banana Russian

Craig was kind enough to send seeds for this one and I do know he spoke highly of it.

Some kind of mutation or cross of Anna Russian but, as you might guess from the title, it's yellow.

I am pleased to report I have very good germination and the RL growth habit looks just like AR at this early stage.

Anyone else care to contribute their experiences — good or otherwise — on this interesting variety. Or am I at the coalface with Anna Banana Russian?

Have a great day.
Grub.
Old September 20, 2006   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You will be data point #3 for the variety, Grub....the fellow in Washington State who "developed" it (not sure if he found it as a mutation or stabilized it as a cross), me, and you....with others over there that Patrina shared it with. I also gave seed to Mike Dunton of Victory when we met in Oregon a few weeks ago (Mike is also growing out Green Giant for seed this year, so it may end up in next year's Victory catalog).

Looking forward to your impressions of Anna Banana!
Old September 20, 2006   #15
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Anna Banana Russian

Y'know, I feel so priveleged.

Thanks Craig.

I really like the sound of Anna Banana and your seed can only be described as extremely viable — 100 per cent germination!

Next season I would like to work with you on some pepper or eggplant projects, that is, if you are involved in any.

My sweet pepper seeds are mostly badly behaved, as in no show, though eggplant numbers are improving.