Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomatoes Too Soon. A Question

We are having a 4th of July party and the tomatoes I want everyone to enjoy got ready to pick all at the same time - a week too soon. Some of the guests like the tomatoes be really firm, and others like them to be dark red and sweet. The tomatoes are SS Cherry 100s and Porter. Normally, we store them in an open tub/container on our kitchen bar. I've read that storing tomatoes in the refrigerator causes them to go soft, tasteless, and mealy. The 4th is still 5 days away, so my question is:

How would you store about 150 small tomatoes to where they do not get overripe? Oh, and I picked these tomatoes 2 and 4 days ago.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2014   #2
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Were they all determinates? If not they may produce some more by the 4th. Cherries toms tend to be prolific. As for storing I have no input unfortunately. Best of luck Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2014   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
We are having a 4th of July party and the tomatoes I want everyone to enjoy got ready to pick all at the same time - a week too soon. Some of the guests like the tomatoes be really firm, and others like them to be dark red and sweet. The tomatoes are SS Cherry 100s and Porter. Normally, we store them in an open tub/container on our kitchen bar. I've read that storing tomatoes in the refrigerator causes them to go soft, tasteless, and mealy. The 4th is still 5 days away, so my question is:

How would you store about 150 small tomatoes to where they do not get overripe? Oh, and I picked these tomatoes 2 and 4 days ago.
I don't think there is a good answer. Other than the fridge, I know of no way to slow them down. How about just making them into a pasta dish, the ripeness wont matter as much if they are slightly cooked? At room temp they will continue to ripen.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2014   #4
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

I also think you should have more by July 4th, once the super sweet 100's start to ripen they usually keep going, (good choice by the way, I love em).
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2014   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Both are prolific producers. It rained so much last week that the plant growth is more in the vines and leaves than in tomato production.

To help make the already picked tomatoes last longer:

I chose to turn the air conditioner down to 75F and add a box fan to stir the air up even more. And just eat the darkest red tomatoes before they split. So far - so good.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #6
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I would put them in a room with little direct sun if possible. That should keep them from ripening too fast. Wish I had your problem, lol!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote