Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 3, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomatoes - July 4th, Star of the Show

As we all know, tomatoes are the most grown vege/fruit in American home gardens. This year, I want to accentuate that fact in our forth of July celebration.

We celebrate with firecrackers and such during the day, and tons of beautiful fireworks at night. Luckily, we live on top of a smaller hill - so everyone nearby gets to watch our nighttime fireworks show. It is the one holiday that we try our best to go all-out.

Up until this year, we have an all day buffet of unhealthy foods. Hotdogs and burgers cooked on the grill...etc. But this year, it's a little different. Okay, sure, I bought hotdogs, but we are also going to offer vine ripe tomatoes, fresh picked banana and jalapeno peppers, cucumbers soaking in Italian dressing, fresh mint for drinks, whole fried small okra, garden onions, grilled squash and zucchini, store bought corn on the cob (8 for a $1) and a boatload of salsa verde from our two tomatillo plants.

I'm hoping everyone enjoys eating healthier. I know for sure that they will love the tomatoes. I'm hoping that some of our guests will pick up an interest in growing tomatoes as well.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #2
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Good for you! Sounds delicious! Show us some pics! I'm in Montreal so I live vicariously for July 4th!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Bravo! That is just great.
Okra is my new obsession. I found a recipe last night that gives you a delicious crunchy okra by roasting it. Just slice it 1/4 inch on a diagonal, using about 20 okra, then lightly coat with olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, roast in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, turning the okra over after 10. They cam out really crunchy, no slime whatsoever, and much less mess than coating and frying, not to mention less calories!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote