Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 28, 2018   #166
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
These are beautiful looking fruits. Is Rico orange tomato?

Both varieties are PL, as I can see. Are most tomatoes in your GH PL varieties? Do you see any difference in production between PL and RL for you? The number of hours they have sun in your area is significantly higher than in some other areas in the world.
It is just the photo, they are both RL. Rico is an orange tomato given to me by Dr Keith McCaveat, and it may be the best orange tomato I have ever ate. I will gladly send out some seed this fall. It is on the late side, but I am growing them for my markets.

I usually wear gloves Marsha, but you caught me today. LOL A stock of smashed Rhubarb cleans the green tomato right off though. I just got back after a week in Ohio and Kentucky, we pruned a bunch.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #167
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

tomato tar
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #168
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

lol Karen

Mark, they look wonderful.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #169
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

They look great Mark;

Rico must be something else to be the best orange you've tried. Count me in.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #170
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I had a mess to deal with when I got back from a few days off. We started pruning and here are a few before and after shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1964.jpg (489.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1965.jpg (486.8 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1966.jpg (591.5 KB, 227 views)
Old June 28, 2018   #171
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Dawgies! You are one ruthless guy!

Bet it makes harvesting a lot easier. Are you able to keep most of the same plants alive and producing for the whole of your greenhouse season? Was that about 9-10 months?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #172
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Dawgies! You are one ruthless guy!

Bet it makes harvesting a lot easier. Are you able to keep most of the same plants alive and producing for the whole of your greenhouse season? Was that about 9-10 months?
We want well groomed nice tight cuts, no hippie plants. LOL Yes, it allows us to grow for about 8 months and keep a steady production. If we do not trim, it becomes a tangled mess, we waste a lot of nutrients feeding stems and leaves. Keeping things tidy also helps with disease control.

I will post a couple of better pics tomorrow.
Old June 29, 2018   #173
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I came here to post on the Containers Growing thread but saw this one first. "Hippie plants" lol, that's good way to put it. I believe you are spot-on about what you wrote in post #172. That is something I re-learned his year and from previous year's experience.

Just out of curiosity, in the last picture in post #170, what is the pleated/ruffled looking tomato in the far left middle background? As a consumer, I would be interested enough to buy that tomato by appearance alone.
Old June 29, 2018   #174
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I came here to post on the Containers Growing thread but saw this one first. "Hippie plants" lol, that's good way to put it. I believe you are spot-on about what you wrote in post #172. That is something I re-learned his year and from previous year's experience.

Just out of curiosity, in the last picture in post #170, what is the pleated/ruffled looking tomato in the far left middle background? As a consumer, I would be interested enough to buy that tomato by appearance alone.
If it is the red one that is Bloody Butcher x Caspian Pink F5. They have a good taste, and start out fairly irregular, but I am noticing the shape is improving.

We ate a Bloody Butcher x Dester today (pink) that was incredible. I am at F4 on those, if I can retain that taste I have a real winner, they have a very nice shape and are about 8 ounces average.
Old June 29, 2018   #175
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

We tasted many tomatoes today. BW Sudduth's Rebel Yell, Elgin Pink, Damsel, Rose,etc,etc. The winner... Bloody Butcher x Dester (pink) F4. It did not just win it was a landslide.
Old June 29, 2018   #176
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
We tasted many tomatoes today. BW Sudduth's Rebel Yell, Elgin Pink, Damsel, Rose,etc,etc. The winner... Bloody Butcher x Dester (pink) F4. It did not just win it was a landslide.
Following.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018   #177
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That sure sounds like a one heck of promising cross you've got!!!!!

About Rico, you say the best orange you've had? Also some mighty bold words. I love KBX, I grow it every year and given my fairly limited space, there aren't many varieties I grow every year. Have you grown KBX? If so, you'd say Rico exceeds KBX for flavor? (KBX isn't early either so the later part isn't a big deal).
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #178
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Very interesting and 8oz.

I'm familiar with Dester - a big pink tomato, but I have never grown Bloody Butcher. I have read about it many times (Without looking it up) It's around 54 days DTM and 3-4 oz. Oh, and it does well in colder climates - and is why I didn't try growing it. Dester came from Europe (I think Germany) and Bloody Butcher came from Russia (I may be wrong about that?)
Old June 30, 2018   #179
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You should use it every time you water. I actually should pump mine up a bit.

Well thanks everyone, it is really a pretty simple operation.
Chucked another 5 today. I can't imagine but you must buy liquid fertz. by the drum full ;-)

I picked up a qt of Cal Mag, and just looking at how much I've used in sofar, I might run out sooner than I thought
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2018   #180
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
and Bloody Butcher came from Russia (I may be wrong about that?)
It was bred in NL. Now I do suspect it may have Stupice (Czech) in it's close lineage. There's just too many similarities.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote