Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 28, 2012   #16
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Brad,
I have used Oregon Breathers the past 2 years for potatos, 7-15 gallons but they are not very tall. This year I am using the breathers again and am trying Bosmere potato planters because they are 18 inches high.
I have had great success with the planters, but they need to be tall enough to make it work while or you do not have enough roots to develop the potatos. Also if very shallow they dry out quickly. They will rot if too wet so I am not sure if a wicking system would be + or -. I am interested in trying a less expensive method and the pots you use seem to be a good solution.
I think I have a few potato eyes left and will see if I can make a pot this afternoon. Here in Maryland I need to get them started ASAP since it is getting late for planting potatos.
I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the info.
Judi
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #17
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Judi,

Thanks for the info on growing potatoes in bags. I will try a few as you suggest, in tall bags. I won't use a wicking system, just set them on the ground. I want to keep the spuds out of the ground as I have some click Beatles here and the larva bore under the skin of the potato.

I think I'll try something like: Sew a 24"x24"x 36" high bag. Place a 2-3 gallon plastic container in the bottom for a water reservoir. Cover it with burlap or something and add a 1-1/2' fill tube so I can bottom water. Fill bag with soil and plant potatoes. Might provide even moisture.

Brad
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #18
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Gee, Brad, now you've got me thinking further. My mom wants plants in pots, and she insists that she doesn't want to have to water every day.

I just put her on the plane to Chicago for 6 weeks. I have time to come up with a creative 2x4 wicking set-up by the time she gets back!

I like your drawing #1, because she has hooved rats, too. And bunnies. And cats in the neighborhood. Need a structure for the netting, and something to support a SunSugar, an Ida Gold, and a Wild Sweetie. I guess I will have room for a 4th, after all! Now, let's see, which one will she get?

Thanks for the ideas!
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #19
willyb
Tomatovillian™

J,

A hooved Rat? Is that a joke that went over my head, or is there such a creature on the west coast?
Old March 28, 2012   #20
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Hooved rats are those lovely little does and bucks that browse the gardens, clear small buidings with a single bound, make a whole apple, peach, or plum harvest disappear in one night, and make every arborvitae on the island look like Barbie. White tailed, here. I have three regulars here. I call them Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, but they just stare at me and don't answer. Not afraid to come up to the porch, either. Plants on the steps are fair game, too. If only they were.
Old March 28, 2012   #21
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplant Day

Finely advanced the lil' Greenhouse some. My wife sewed me some more grow bags and we worked together to do some transplanting.

We planted indeterminate at the back, early with mid and late season. Determinate in the front, early with big and paste.

Will hand pollinate as I can to cross. Hoping the hired help (Ladybugs) will assist with the rest. I am not a sophisticated plant breeder, what will be will be. Looking for bigger that are earlier and taster. Plants are crowded. Will cull as required.

Some fool didn't water the cukes well enough and they were stressed. I poked extra holes in the pots and transplanted them pot and all, we all know cukes don't like their roots disturbed. Trust the roots will find their way to the moist soil if I keep them watered from the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Good Roots 2.jpg (114.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Good Roots Close.jpg (161.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Herbs and Cukes.jpg (184.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg More Bags.jpg (139.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Squash in back.jpg (135.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by willyb; March 28, 2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Ran spell check
Old March 28, 2012   #22
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Ah........ I should have known, silly me. I love to see deer browsing (In someone else's garden) I am conflicted also as they are such a beautiful and peaceful animal and so good in a stew. We used to call them "mauwich" (Coast Salish)
Old March 28, 2012   #23
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I'm a NIMBY on this.

Yes, I love to take photos of them, too. But not in my back yard!
Old March 28, 2012   #24
delaware
Tomatovillian™

Here is an interesting scientific article that discusses wicking compared to other irrigation sysyems.

After fighting my way through a THC smoke filled search engine list after typing in "number of wicks in reservoir," it was refreshing to read scientific growing suggestions that weren't based on "How to make my sweet buds grow faster," or "FAR out man, my trichomes are rocking!"

It's ironic. Talk about a busman's holiday. I work as the Laboratory Manager of a Forensic Drug Lab where we analyze street drugs 50% of which are marijuana.

So anyway one marijuana growing site suggested using hydrogen peroxide in the reservoir to combat algae. Interesting.

Last edited by delaware; March 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #25
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting the article, breezed through it will read latter. I have used hydrogen peroxide in reservoirs. It works well to add oxygen for increased plant health and growth. Too costly as you need to refresh it so often. The pot growers have made a major contribution to how we grow indoors. Too bad tomatoes are only worth a buck a pound