Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 23, 2015   #1
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Default How many Cherry tomatoes in SWC

So my question is this for the more experienced growers on the forum: How many Cherry tomatoes could you plant in a 26 gal SWC...?

Would two be the max or could one push it to 3 plants...?

Last edited by Zenbaas; October 23, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2015   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

If I went to 2 or even 3 plants, they would all be the same variety. Water consumption is the primary consideration followed closely by nutrients. The 2 and 3 scenarios will tax your ability to keep the available moisture consistent. Inconsistent anything equals stress for the plants and that could increase the incidence of BER and other undesirables.

It would help if we knew what variety(s) you intend to use.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2015   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

2 is really the max. 3 would be way to crowded. I grow pairs just fine in 20 gal subirrigated tubs.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2015   #4
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
If I went to 2 or even 3 plants, they would all be the same variety. Water consumption is the primary consideration followed closely by nutrients. The 2 and 3 scenarios will tax your ability to keep the available moisture consistent. Inconsistent anything equals stress for the plants and that could increase the incidence of BER and other undesirables.

It would help if we knew what variety(s) you intend to use.
Interesting. Well I was hoping to grow different varieties but it would make sense to keep the same type together.

I want to grow Black Cherry, Sungold, Indigo cherry drops and Ambrosia Orange UBX (only have black cherry at the moment, waiting on the rest).
Old October 24, 2015   #5
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

There are tradeoffs to consider when planting multiple plants in a SWC. Depending on if you want to let the tomatoes grow wild without suckering or maintaining more of a single stalk plant in the containers. There are the watering issues that Ted mentions, but you have to supply a more steady flow of nutrients. When comparing suckered plants vs non suckered plants, the tomatoes taste considerably different.

It can be done, you would just need to invest more time into it.

Trade off would also include yield. But taste seemed to be significantly elevated in suckered, densely planted tomatoes on my end. I tried 3 suckered plants vs 2 non-suckered plants in SWC.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2015   #6
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
There are tradeoffs to consider when planting multiple plants in a SWC. Depending on if you want to let the tomatoes grow wild without suckering or maintaining more of a single stalk plant in the containers. There are the watering issues that Ted mentions, but you have to supply a more steady flow of nutrients. When comparing suckered plants vs non suckered plants, the tomatoes taste considerably different.

It can be done, you would just need to invest more time into it.

Trade off would also include yield. But taste seemed to be significantly elevated in suckered, densely planted tomatoes on my end. I tried 3 suckered plants vs 2 non-suckered plants in SWC.
Excellent information there...! I have been suckering all my tomato plants so I'm glad to hear about your experience with taste. I think I will be sticking to 2 plants per container rather. I don't want all that effort to be for naught either.
Old October 24, 2015   #7
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

2 should be low maintenance and productive.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote