Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2014   #1
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Default Paste tomatoes and BER

Well it would be a bummer to have this happen! I have heard many do get BER. Anyway this year I grew Amish paste. I grew it in a well draining raised bed. No BER at all. Many of my other tomatoes had some, not much. Anyway I'm impressed with this paste. It is prolific too. Although now it has some leaf problems. It still has about 15 tomatoes on it and was a good producer.
Sometimes I think we fuss too much with these plants. I cut off a sucker and put it in my blackberry patch. I planted a bunch of new blackberries this year, and the patch is wide open as the plants are new. They require little water, but when watering I watered the tomato. No fertilizer, no sprays, and every leaf from top to bottom is perfect! I think I may fertilize too much and the weak growth is susceptible to disease. All my plants except one are showing some leaf problems now. It's the end of the year and they produced well, so no complaints at all. But next year, I think I'm going light on the ferts.
Oh I grew Costoluto Genovese sel Valente from seeds from Italy and this tomato produced pretty good, and does not have any leaf problems. Just thought I would mention that.
In conclusion Amish paste seems like a really nice paste. I have grown few pastes, but wanted to pass on my observations. Even though I have little experience with them. I will grow some others next year.

drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Drew, I have never considered Amish Paste to be a paste tomato b'c it's too juicy and too many seeds.

Back them some varieties were called paste ones just b'c of the shape.

Another example is Lillian's Red kansas paste which isn't a paste at all.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/L...b=General_Info

The shape looks like a paste but again, very juicy with the normal amount of seeds.

And yes, I've grown both of the above.

So the word paste in a variety name doesn't necessarily indicate it's a paste type IMO.

Carolyn
Old September 18, 2014   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Wow, thanks for the information Carolyn
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #4
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Kind of like some tortoises are named turtles! I didn't find that they had a lot of seeds. A good row on both sides, but cut down the middle and it was easy to remove them. Maybe more in there? Anyway I like the tomato a lot. But I really don't eat them, just cook them!
I grew Amana Orange, and that tomato hardly had any seeds. It was a good choice to throw in the sauce! My wife eats tomatoes. I do eat cherry tomatoes, but that is about it. Not like a dislike them, just kinda like a cucumber. I would not just eat one.
Now if it was peach, and some fantastic rare peaches can be grown at home.
Like Indian Free that tastes like a peach cranberry smoothie! I prefer fruit like this!
Man these are good!

Old September 19, 2014   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That peach looks amazing! I can imagine that a home grown peach is infinitely superior to a grocery store one. The colour is beautiful too.
I find hearts to be a great all round tomato. Meaty with few seeds makes them great for cooking but juicy and flavourful as a slicer. I have never had an issue with BER on a heart.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014   #6
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to have to try some hearts! Thanks for the tip! Next year I have a few new peach trees that will produce. I must say they are hard to grow. Lot's of pest pressure.
Still when you finally get that 1st peach, man it's all worth it!
Old September 19, 2014   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
That peach looks amazing! I can imagine that a home grown peach is infinitely superior to a grocery store one. The colour is beautiful too.
I find hearts to be a great all round tomato. Meaty with few seeds makes them great for cooking but juicy and flavourful as a slicer. I have never had an issue with BER on a heart.
KarenO
Karen, I have looked at http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Mayo's_Delight countless times. I've shown it to everyone interested in looking. I cannot wait to grow it next year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Karen, I have looked at http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Mayo's_Delight countless times. I've shown it to everyone interested in looking. I cannot wait to grow it next year.

I hope it does well for you. It is a delicious tomato and I think it should be more well known and grown. Described as a late tomato, I found it productive and ripened at what I would consider late midseason for me last year. Great flavour and beautiful large bright red fruit. My original seed came from Tatiana's.
KarenO
Old September 19, 2014   #9
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Well now I want to try it too! I almost grew German Red Strawberry this year also. It was culled due to room. i didn't have any, the plant had sunburn, so it was one I removed.
Old September 19, 2014   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Pm me and I'll send some or trade.
K
Old September 22, 2014   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Drew, if you're going with hearts, Work Release Paste is another possibility. I grew it this year and it produced quite a few pound-plus tomatoes -- almost solid meat with very few seeds. It was a bit on the juicy side, but not too much.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #12
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Try Shannon's. Good and meaty and few seeds. Great taste!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #13
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Excellent thanks for the suggestions, I will put them on the want list. I have Mayo's delight now. I had a good year, and some I will grow again, but the next few years are going to be about experimentation. So appreciate the suggestions.
Old September 24, 2014   #14
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Ukrainian Heart is another good one. Great flavor no BER issues.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote