Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 22, 2018   #6751
imp
Tomatovillian™

I love those big fat fries like that - crunchy crisp outside and fluffy done inside. Best of both worlds!!

Salt, since I cook for one now, and that ain't easy, LOL, I try to either make simpler dishes or something I want to eat more than once or can easily change up some what.

Haven't really gotten my taste for food to eat much back, but maybe in more time...The good part is I've dropped a couple sizes this last 2 years, which is good.

Made the grocery store rounds today, picked up sirloin chops ( Pork) at 1.19 a pound, so put some in the freezer along with some of the 20 to 25 count shrimp that were also on sale. These make quick and cheap eating for me.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #6752
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Here you go, Salt, two healthy delicious recipes for cheap.

Zydeco Soup

Chicken broth, about 48 oz, plus water as needed.
2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced, or garlic powder
6 oz. cooked ham, diced (1 1/4 cups)
1 Tblsp. fresh parsley, or less dried parsley
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. each dry mustard, cumin, basil, oregano, & thyme
1/4 t. each ground cloves & ground black pepper.
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 15.5 oz. can blackeye peas, rinsed & drained
1 14.5 oz. can golden hominy, rinsed & drained
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes

Heat broth, start adding ingredients in order listed. After spices, test to see if the chopped vegetables are at desired softness. Then add the 3 canned ingredients, bring back to a boil & serve.

About 85 calories/cup or about 290 calories for 1/4th of recipe.
--------------------------
Turkey/Ham, Black Bean, And Hominy Salad

Ingredients:
* 3 cups leaves (lettuce, mesclun, lambs quarters, etc)
* 1 diced bell pepper (any color)
* 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
* 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can of yellow hominy
* 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
* About 3/4 lb chipped, cooked smoked turkey breast or ham

Directions:
1. Spread greens on a platter.
2. Layer each of the other ingredients on the greens.
3. Serve with your choice of salad dressing.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #6753
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

We attended a meeting this past weekend. At each meeting, a family is designated to bring snacks for everyone. Some folks almost consider it a competition with past cooks. Sunday night, simplicity ruled and it was delicious. They only served two dishes along with a pecan bark type dessert. The first dish was a shrimp salad with sliced oniions, capers, diced cucumber and a few other simple vegetables topped with vinegar, oil; and a pinch of sugar.

The second dish was a whole grain salad. I can't remember all the ingredients, but it featured a swollen grain like Bulgar. It was my favorite dish. If I could have found a larger fork, I would have eaten all off it.

The lady's origins are in Israel. It was easy to see the middle eastern influences in her two dishes. I thought it was interesting that she prepared the dishes since her husband is a trained chef among many other talents.

Last edited by DonDuck; May 23, 2018 at 12:45 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #6754
imp
Tomatovillian™

Made a dish I had read about, but never before made or tried out . Milk poached pork.

OMG. x3.

Simple as you want, brown the chops/roast well, then into a pot with milk to cover or half way up on a roast. Cover, poach slow over a low flame or in an oven. You can add all different spices, I kept it simple with seasoning the meat with garlic, onion, S&P, many recipes call for additional seasonings in with the milk if you want.

One caution, and glad I read it, was that the milk, as it cooks down to a gravy, looks grainy or curdled, but is not( the recipe suggested if you didn't like the look, strain it), I just stirred it and ate it up. The milk and pork juices make a subtle but very tasty gravy.

The pork itself becomes so tender it almost falls apart and yet is juicy and full of flavor.

When I do a roast like this, I'm going to make some enchiladas and tacos with it, too. Just add cheese and green chilis to the inside of the enchilada, mmmm. Green chili sauce for on top.

I'm sure many have made this before, but DANG, it was just too good. I've had a pork stew that had milk in it long ago, but not pork cooked entirely except for browning, in the milk.
Old May 23, 2018   #6755
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Those recipes sound good.

Today was doctor visit day - woo who? Anyway, after the visit - it was lunch time. We ate at a TexMex place that had the very best refried beans I have eaten in my 53 years. It was cheap eaten for this day and age = $21 for two large fajita meals + tip.

But back to those refried beans. I'm almost completely positive it was made with pinto beans, and they were cooked perfect. They were creamy and yet had some tender body left with the beans, and the right seasonings. I've got to copycat those.
Old May 23, 2018   #6756
imp
Tomatovillian™

Really good refries are hard to come by, especially out in a restaurant. Those sounded perfect.
Old May 24, 2018   #6757
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Some sort of made up Asian chicken ginger root habanero roasted sesame peanut rice noodle soup plate stuff, bound the be good.

Worth
Old May 24, 2018   #6758
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dare say the soup part is better than anything I have had in a so called Asian restaurant around here.

A pack of chicken ramen noodles.
A shot of dark soy sauce.
Grated fresh ginger.
Sliced ginger.
One chopped small habanero.
Sesame oil.
A shot of malt vinegar.
Eat.
Just like grandma Ju used to make in Mexico.
Worth
Old May 24, 2018   #6759
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You had a Grandma is Mexico that cooked Asian? Your woodpile is getting as big as us Cajuns and we have a big one!!!

Last night I cooked chicken in a tomato gravy over rice, that was a dish I hadn't had in a while and it was delicious. That's Sriracha on the rice and mustard greens.

Tonight I cooked Shake-n-Bake pork steaks topped with homemade ketchup that's more like a hot sauce/bbq sauce. The salad and baked sweet potato was good to. That ketchup is Mrs Wages mix with some cayenne and what a difference the cayenne makes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2253.JPG (300.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2260.JPG (302.5 KB, 35 views)
Old May 24, 2018   #6760
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun.

What kind of chopped greens are on the plate next to the corn and tomatoes? I'm growing collard greens and my taste buds are anxious for the first pot of greens.
Old May 24, 2018   #6761
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Gotta love good old Shake 'n Bake! A classic!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #6762
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Rajun.

What kind of chopped greens are on the plate next to the corn and tomatoes? I'm growing collard greens and my taste buds are anxious for the first pot of greens.

Mustard greens. I love collards but grow them in fall. They might be bitter in this heat, I hope not but try them in fall and you'll like them more.
Old May 24, 2018   #6763
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow I'm going to slow cook some baby back ribs. This week at the local Albertsons ribs are dirt cheap. We picked up packs for under $5 each. I would take a picture, but don't want to wake anyone up getting the camera. It's quiet in here... a rare thing indeed.

I'm thinking of going with corn on the cob and baked beans as the sides. (Corn is also on sale at all the local grocery stores.)
Old May 24, 2018   #6764
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Mustard greens. I love collards but grow them in fall. They might be bitter in this heat, I hope not but try them in fall and you'll like them more.

In the summer, I mix them with cabbage or Chinese cabbage to make them less bitter.
Old May 25, 2018   #6765
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Salt, that sound awesome. A true summer meal. Hope you finish the ribs on the grill and have some for me. The sides sound perfect.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote