Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 15, 2007   #1
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone used innoculants?

Hello! Im reading about biological control organisms, like mycorrhizae and their other soil-protecting friends, I was wondering if anyone has used any products like
http://www.planthealthcare.com/catal.../compete2.html

http://www.bioworksinc.com/t-22/t22.html

or if youve heard or read anything about them. They sound like a great organic next line of defense-
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Garnetmoth-I do use myco because I grow only in containers and use sterile potting soil. I think they help my plants. I get mine from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply.

http://www.groworganic.com/item_ISO7...lRootBoos.html
Old January 15, 2007   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I Picked up some of this which I'm going to use this season. Looks like good stuff. Ami
http://www.naturalindustries.com/sp.html
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #4
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks mdvpc- does the label say which organisms it contains? Ive got bean and pea specific mycorrhizae

amideutch- I hadnt heard of that product yet, would you mind telling me how much it cost and the amount you purchased? I dig the EPA review of it- no negatives

Ive read several articles and have a basic grasp on microbiology, so I was considering trying to culture my own fun....
Old January 15, 2007   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Garnet-I dont know if its specific for beans and pea-it just says veggies and it has the specific myco.
Old January 16, 2007   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Garnet, Here it is. Ami
http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com...mber=ACT&top=7
Old January 16, 2007   #7
creister
Tomatovillian™

I have only used them for cowpeas and vetches in my garden plot. Wouldn't know about potted plants. I have seen several products sold as bean and pea innoculant. They seemed to be very broad base and could be used with many different varieties. After using them once in your garden, you don't have to apply again.

Michael, you said you put that innoculant in your pots, does that include your tomatoes? I've always wondered about the lack of microbes in sterile potting mix. I always added compost with mine, and wondered if the microherd could find enough to eat to benefit the plants in a soiless/compost mix. I may try some this year.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Creister-I use it for everything in my containers. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, lettuces, chard, kale, spinach.
Old January 16, 2007   #9
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

FYI, ProMix, and others now sell potting soil/mix with the mychorrizal fungi already in it.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #10
Downinmyback
Tomatovillian™

We use it only om soybean at my farm not on other crops like cotton or corn. I alway understood that it help beans develop nitrogen on their roots as they grew. ( i forget what they call the knot on the roots).
Old January 16, 2007   #11
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

This is about as far as Ive gotten so far in my learning:

Rhizobia are bacteria that fix nitrogen and are associated often with legumes

the Actinovate product is a S. lydicus bacteria that is predatory on disease fungi (the label said its isolated from Linseed -flax- roots!)

Trichoderma ( like in the products from BioWorks) are a fungus that are predatory on disease fungi. they may also solubilize phosphorus

Azospirillum bacteria help fix nitrogen and can help with a variety of crops

Arbuscular Mycorrhizal (AMF) fungi are mycorrhizae that can associate with fruits and vegetables, and Ectomycorrhizal (EMF) are the ones that associate with trees. Mycorrhizae help contribute to soil texture

I read an excerpt from the Handbook of Microbial Biofertlizers
http://www.haworthpress.com/store/SampleText/5428.pdf

and my fiance ordered it from his college for me to read!
Old January 16, 2007   #12
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Wow, this is a great topic!
As I understand it, the mycorrhyzae that fix nitrogen in legumes works only with leguminous plants, or at least the traditional innoculants. There are numerous fungi that have symbiotic relationships with other plants, and, if I recall correctly, symbiosis can include mutualism (benefits host and fungus) or a relationship which benefits only the fungus. Most such relationships are not clearly understood, but nitrogen fixing fungi are examples of mutualism. I believe the term for the nodes formed on leguminous roots is simply "nodules."
Compost contains a huge variety of fungi and bacteria which not only decompose organic matter, but also potentially destroy unwanted spores and bacteria. BACTO potting soil contains beneficial organisms. I suppose the innoculant sold for starting compost would benefit soil as well, but a good culture could be established with or without innoculants and carried on much as yogurt can be propogated.
There are innoculants that are used industrially to reclaim soils in clearcut forests and landfill areas, and bacteria that are used to devour oilspills and other pollutants.
So, pardon me for the essay.
Thanks for the links, I'll check 'em out!
Old January 17, 2007   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Garnetmoth, Great information. You wrapped it up in a nutshell. Thanks, Ami
Old January 17, 2007   #14
creister
Tomatovillian™

wow! I learned something new today. You are right KC, it is rhizobium that I used, I couldn't remember the name. This is really great info. I wish I had taken some classes on it while I was in college. Everything they did in the Ag classes always revolved around chemical fertilization schemes.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2007   #15
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I don't know if Mighty Myco has been mentioned, but it's the one I use. It's a granular mix of 10 beneficial endomycorrhizae, ectomycorrhizae, and tricoderma fungus. I mixed it into my potting soil and also put a 1/2 teaspoon in the planting hole when the plants went into the garden.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote